Idiot journalists scared everyone with video of 737 "on fire"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idiot journalists scared everyone with video of 737 "on fire"

Obviously a local Toronto news channel and their journalists had no basic aviation knowledge whatsoever and did not bother to validate their assumptions broadcasted a news footage with video of a Sunwing 737 "on fire" making an "emergency landing" at YYZ.

Officials with Sunwing and Pearson International Airport say there was no fire aboard a flight that was diverted to Toronto Friday evening. Video footage captured from CP24 cameras show a bright light eminating from the aircraft.

It turns out that the journalists were at the airport after hearing that a Sunwing flight from Regina to Jamaica was diverting to YYZ because of fuel problem, and ended up shooting a video of another Sunwing flight from Mexico to Montreal but diverting to YYZ due to bad weather at YUL. Moreover, they think that the sunlight reflection on the plane was fire, so they broadcasted it right away as breaking news: reporting a Sunwing 737 with fuel problem on fire making emergency landing at YYZ. In fact, what was happening were a Sunwing 737 diverting to YYZ due to weather at YUL, and another Sunwing 737 making a priority landing at YYZ due to fuel imbalance. The journalists never saw the 737 with fuel problem that they originally set out to see. There were no emergency at YYZ whatsoever, and the news channel didn't bother to check with Sunwing or the Airport Authority before breaking the news.
    Next:
    None Planned

It's so obviously NOT a fire (no smoke trail) that you have to wonder about the intelligence levels of the news reporters.....ah......hang on.....

.......news reporters, yes, that explains it !!!

Must have been a slow news day.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Hmm, fire without smoke... I must have been sleeping all these years, what a concept!

Comment

For once someone else topping the stupidity of the New Zealand media...
        Note: I did not copy PMN, I am in fact obsessed with both (ask anyone who knows me and they would confirm that I talk constantly about these things

Comment

I will admit that the media folks are not the sharpest tools in the shed, that is why its really easy to get them to believe complete non sense as fact.

I get a lot of free publicity because of media ignorance.

Comment

firstoff, it doesn't even look like fire. From my understanding, fire likes to flow in the direction of wind, like curtains being blown in the wind.

second, like already mentioned, no smoke

lastly, that guy was using a terrible camera. He should have asked someone from this site for a better camera. There was bound to be at least ONE of us around.

Faking idiot
            I'm the guy... Porter Guy

Comment

The media is about as clueless as can be when it comes to anything aviation related.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot View Post
                Hmm, fire without smoke... I must have been sleeping all these years, what a concept!
                Careful- we are all being a little too self important- "we're so smart, the media is so dumb"

That was a really bright orange glow.
                Doesn't really seem to be the right angle to be landing lights.

Yes, it is stable (compared to your typical fire) and smokeless (compared to your typical burning airplane).

But Mr. Foxtrot- there are plenty of examples of fire without smoke. There's actually a very fierce fire going on inside of every jet engine, and virtually no smoke.
                Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                  There's actually a very fierce fire going on inside of every jet engine, and virtually no smoke.
                  That fire is very carefully controlled and has a huge amount of research and design behind it to make it burn as clean as possible. The average 5 year old knows there's a fire inside every working jet engine but that's not in any way comparable to what would ostensibly seem to be half a wing on fire.
                  Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

Re:

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                    Careful- we are all being a little too self important- "we're so smart, the media is so dumb"

That was a really bright orange glow.
                    Doesn't really seem to be the right angle to be landing lights.

Yes, it is stable (compared to your typical fire) and smokeless (compared to your typical burning airplane).

But Mr. Foxtrot- there are plenty of examples of fire without smoke. There's actually a very fierce fire going on inside of every jet engine, and virtually no smoke.
                    Do you really think I'm that dumb? I was obviously talking w/r to the "glow" on the aircraft, and after a few minutes of observing the video anyone can easily tell that's not a fire (even with the low-quality video distorting the lights). Talk about taking things out of context.

Comment

The facts as I see them from a photographic point of view....

1. Landing lights and wingtip red light distorted by poor camera and distance from camera.
                      2. The above diffused in the weather conditions.
                      3. Absolutely no smoke at all.
                      4. Landed safely, parked normally with no emergency evacuation.

...and from the point of view of actually listening to the whole news broadcast...

It wasn't even the flight with a reported fuel problem, which was a fuel balance issue, not a fuel leak.

A slow news day ? ...either that or the news station is allied to Fox News...who ALWAYS seem to get it wrong !
                      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

I was at work that day. I can tell you 110% that there was absolutely no fire nor any reports of a fire with that or any other airplane that day.
                        Garry Lewis

Air Team Images - www.airteamimages.com
                        Air Traffic Controller - Toronto ACC (West Low)

https://flic.kr/ps/AAWk8

Comment

Unfortunately Journalism died years ago. When the networks decided NEWS must make a profit.

All we have left is Tabloid reporting.

Comment

Originally posted by PMN View Post
                            That fire is very carefully controlled and has a huge amount of research and design behind it to make it burn as clean as possible. The average 5 year old knows there's a fire inside every working jet engine but that's not in any way comparable to what would ostensibly seem to be half a wing on fire.
                            Ah, but don't forget the days of the 50's, 60's and 70's when there was a huge amount of smoke coming out of jet engines. Also, those old Russian planes have lots of smoke too. And there still technically is smoke coming out, it's just too fine to see.

This brings up a question. Has anyone stood close enough to feel the burst of air coming from the engine while it is sitting on the tarmac? If so, was it hot? It may sound like a stupid question considering it's fire, but it can't be that hot as you can't feel it if you are on the other side of an airport fence and the tires burn the runways, not the engines.
                            I'm the guy... Porter Guy

Comment

Originally posted by porter guy View Post
                              Ah, but don't forget the days of the 50's, 60's and 70's when there was a huge amount of smoke coming out of jet engines. Also, those old Russian planes have lots of smoke too. And there still technically is smoke coming out, it's just too fine to see.
                              What does that have to do with it?
                              Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X