Pilot Cadetships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilot Cadetships

I live in Australia and have 3 more years of school left and I want to be a pilot.I now about the Qantas and Etihad cadet programs but these are all I have been able to find so far.
    I have also been looking at the Air Force.
    Could you please help me by telling me what other airlines offer cadet programs.
    Cheers.

PS. I also know about the REX cadet program. Thanks.

Here are some threads that may help:

Discuss anything aviation related, such as airline news, specific aviation questions, etc.

Cheers.

Comment

One thing with many cadet programs is that you must be a native of the country where they are based. It'd be nice if airlines in America had these programs!
      Tanner Johnson - Owner
      twenty53 Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner_J View Post
        One thing with many cadet programs is that you must be a native of the country where they are based. It'd be nice if airlines in America had these programs!
        When this pilot shortage hits 3 or 4 years down the road and given the number of people actually becoming commercial pilots in recent years, I wouldn't be surprised.
        sigpic
        http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Really so the Etihad Cadet Pilot program actually wants only UAE nationals??

Because i've read a news link, and it said that only about 5% of students attending were UAE nationals.
          BH Airlines A319

Comment

From what I gathered on their website for the cadet program, it's only open to people from their area. I'd apply in a heartbeat if it was for Americans too.

EDIT: However I did just read that they take applications from all races and nationalities. Hmmm that has definitely changed since over the Summer.
            Tanner Johnson - Owner
            twenty53 Photography

Comment

Etihad will be in New York in August of 2009 evaluating applicants for their cadet program.

Pilots who already have their Commercial license are not allowed to take part and not considered for the program. It's a shame that I will have my CPL by then! I'd be willing to do it.
              Tanner Johnson - Owner
              twenty53 Photography

Comment

Etihad will be in New York in August of 2009 evaluating applicants for their cadet program.

Pilots who already have their Commercial license are not allowed to take part and not considered for the program. It's a shame that I will have my CPL by then! I'd be willing to do it.
                Well, if you really wanted to apply you could just skip out on getting th CPL. Honestly, it's really tempting. All they want apparently is a high school diploma. They don't really give any flight experience requirements, but I assume if they don't want a CPL then 180 hours with an IFR rating (which is where I'm at) is pretty good. I'm not sure I'd feel good about just taking off to the UAE though, although it seems like an interesting place and certainly not as cold as it is here now!

As for US cadetships, that's what places like ERAU, UND, Perdue, ATP, local flight schools, etc, etc are for. It's just that the airline doesn't pay to train you from nothing! The reason why airlines in places like the UAE, HK, etc is because these places are quite small and there isn't much GA going on and no big flight schools so they need to find pilots from their smallish populations or ex-pats from other countries.

Comment

I'm not going to stop my training on the hopes of being able to be admitted into the program.

It just sucks I'm almost paying more for a semester of school, then a first year pilot makes!
                  Tanner Johnson - Owner
                  twenty53 Photography

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
                    Here are some threads that may help:

Discuss anything aviation related, such as airline news, specific aviation questions, etc.

Cheers.
                    Those were all my threads. Mate, PM me and i'll be more than happy to help you with any questions that you have. I've done A LOT of research.
                    There's nothing like an airport for bringing you down to earth. — Richard Gordon

Comment

I think I will go with the RAAF as my first pick. Then move on to a airline after my ROS is up. The only down side would have to be the fact that you could be deployed.
                      Does anyone know how easy it is to get into the Air Force and then into a mojor airline after that?
                      Also, would getting a PPL now help my chances with the Air Force?
                      Thanks.

Comment

No clue about the RAF, but I have a little insight on it from my university.

We have a large Air Force ROTC program at Kent State University. Most of the students involved with it are Flight Technology Majors that are getting all their pilots licenses while taking part in the ROTC program. When they enter the Air Force they are officers, which is required to be a pilot, I believe.

Is it easy to get an airline job out of the air force. You can bet your butt it's easier than going the civilian route. You'll have a lot more flight time when you enter the airlines, making your entry probably straight into a major carrier, rather than the small regionals civilians will have to enter into. The head of our ROTC flew a 747 carrying the Head of the Department of Defense. He carries a 757/767 type rating and 747 type rating. He actually has airlines approaching him to see if he wants to fly for them.
                        Tanner Johnson - Owner
                        twenty53 Photography

Comment

Does anyone know what the pay is with major carriers?
                          In paticular Qantas and Air New Zealand.
                          Cheers.

Comment

After you've served the required amount of time in the Air Force (i think 12 years) it is too easy to get a job as a commercial pilot, flying Heavies. But it is very hard to get into the AF, you need to be 100% fit, your reaction time needs to be flawless and your year 12 grades need to be very high.

If you want to become a commercial pilot i'd suggest the REX cadet program, 32 weeks in housed and your a pilot, sounds good to me. And you do not actually have to be with them for the 7 years, because after about 5 years you'll have enough flying time to apply for Qantas/Jetstar or Virgin etc. Who's pay will be much higher than that of REX. First year pay for Rex is around $40,000 and 5th year is about $55,000 after 5 years you can become a captain of the Saabs (if you have enough flying time) which is about $70,000. Qantas is about $70,000 as an experienced first officer whilst an experienced captain of about 10 years can expect to be paid approximately $300,000 a year, on top of all the perks the job comes with.

The Fair Work Commission is Australia's workplace tribunal. We create awards, approve enterprise agreements and help resolve issues at work.

Also go to http://www.airc.gov.au/awards/tracee/agreements and look up any agreement you like. just type in the airline name and see what comes up.

good luck!
                            There's nothing like an airport for bringing you down to earth. — Richard Gordon

Comment

Is it easy to get an airline job out of the air force. You can bet your butt it's easier than going the civilian route.
                              Yeah, except for the part that Uncle Sam wants a 10-year commitment if you want to fly for him, while the civilian route can take as little as seventeen months, you're absolutely right.

Originally posted by Tanner_J
                              You'll have a lot more flight time
                              No, you won't. Not when you got guys coming out of the military with 1,500hrs after 12 years of service. You could argue that it's better quality time, but not more of it.

Originally posted by Tanner_J
                              The head of our ROTC flew a 747 carrying the Head of the Department of Defense. He carries a 757/767 type rating and 747 type rating. He actually has airlines approaching him to see if he wants to fly for them.
                              He also, no doubt, doesn't even need an airplane to fly, he can just flap his arms.

Comment

Working...
                              X