No announcement yet.

ANA 787 Emergency Landing in TAK - FAA grounds 787

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]According to Aviation Week dated 21 January 2013 the functions of the two batteries are:

>>
    Fwd (Main) Battery:>>
    (1) Provides power for aircraft startup>>
    (2) Ground operations such as refueling and towing>>
    (3) It can also assist the second battery located aft in starting up the APU>>
    (4) And in the event of a power failure it energizes essential flight instruments until the drop down ram air turbine spools up.>>
    >>
    Aft Battery:>>
    (1) Electrically start the APU when neither of the engines is running and the aircraft is not connected to external ground power. >>
    (2) It also powers navigation lights during battery only towing operations.

I'm sure these functions will be verified or updated in upcoming NTSB reports.>>

Comment

Originally posted by ptwtanks View Post
      One of the things that has not been discussed is why did the battery issue crop up suddenly and to multiple aircraft at the same time? This usually indicates that something has changed. These batteries were charged and discharged multiple times since each 787's delivery. There are three things that I can think of that could have changed. One, the battery chemistry changed as the batteries aged. Two, the battery chargers analog voltage, current and temperature measurement instruments and circuitry drifted over time and were not re-calibrated, causing an overcharge condition. Third, normal operation reduced the current carrying capacity of components that were close to or at their current rating, such as wiring and connectors that resulted in even higher current while at the same time reducing voltage. The million dollar question is if the LI batteries were magically swapped out prior to these incidents, would they have occurred at all?
      Fourth, were the prototype batteries tested to handle the repeated pressure cycles of regular operations? Or were they only tested on the ground? Possibly temperature swings as well?

I don't know what their working environment is? Do they get the same comfortable conditions as the passengers, or are they stowaways in the wheelwell

Comment

The batteries are in clima controlled pressurized compartment, this is needed to remove smoke in case of a battery venting.

Comment

FYI

LOT Polish Airlines is planing to resume it's 787 flights the second week of February. I hope they do, I think that the 787 is a wonderful plane and like all new construction it has it's ups and downs. After they work all bugs out it will be as good as 767, 777

Comment

NTSB will hold a briefing today at 2:30 pm EST

Comment

JAL and ANA extends the grounding, at least to the end of the month.
              "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

When I saw these stories on TV news, the thought I had was "there are precautions you have to take with Lithium Ion batteries that come from them exploding after overheating." Those are so well known for so long, I'm surprised to see this come up. I'd think the whole mechanism containing them would be designed with the likelihood of overheating anticipated. Something I'm definitely missing here. Makes me also wonder about hybrid cars that also have them as their power storage. Do hybrids have unusual amounts of fires?

Comment

ANA prolongs the grounding to the 18th of february according to swedish media.

Comment

Interesting article on LiOn battery malfunctions.
                    http://www.dailytech.com/When+Lithiu...ticle11898.htm

Comment

• Yesterday's NTSB update

Check out the link http://go.usa.gov/4K4J for more info and photographs.

Comment

• Paraphrased summary of the above article:

"The batteries overheated and/or caught fire just because"

This is the worst scenario: If you can't find the cause, you can't find the solution. And if it happened once (ok, make that twice), then it can hppen again.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                          Paraphrased summary of the above article:

"The batteries overheated and/or caught fire just because"

This is the worst scenario: If you can't find the cause, you can't find the solution. And if it happened once (ok, make that twice), then it can hppen again.
                          Not finding a cause is definitely a worst case scenario - I've worked on such investigations and when no cause is found you either fix a bunch of possible causes and hope the problem was solved or conduct a redsign. In the 787 investigation a bunch of destructive testing is probably underway plus a backup redesign with different batteries.

Comment

• 169hrs and 22 cycles thats not a lot, http://www.ntsb.gov/news/2013/130127...HZt4lw.twitter
                            BTW
                            Mr Elon Musk offers his version of batteries to Boeing, are they FAA certified if used in a spacecraft?

Comment

• Mind blowing.

Comment

• Mr Elon Musk explains what he thinks is the problem,
                                The lithium ion batteries installed on the Boeing 787 are inherently unsafe, says Elon Musk, founder of SpaceX and owner of electric car maker Tesla. "Unfortunately,...

Comment

Working...
                                X