Teamwork in A Cockpit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
    Ok guys, no AP. But not even a wing leveler? The DC-3 had more than that.

???????? With over 3000 hours in DC-3's I have only seen an auto pilot in one of them and it didn't work anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
      ???????? With over 3000 hours in DC-3's I have only seen an auto pilot in one of them and it didn't work anyway.
      It doesn't matter how many hours you flew in the DC-3. What matters is how many of them you flew. Since more than 15000 were built, I doubt that your sample is statistically significant.

And I've never said that all the DC-3s had an AP, nor that all companies keep it in working order. Your's evidently didn't.

Some DC-3 were fitted with a Sperry Gyropilot with two functions: heading hold and pitch hold.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post

Some DC-3 were fitted with a Sperry Gyropilot with two functions: heading hold and pitch hold.
        Most of those (at least in the US) were pulled by the early 70s due to poor functionality and even poorer support.

Comment

Originally posted by snydersnapshots View Post
          ...The Jetstream had a flight director--that we never used because it didn't work worth a darn, but no autopilot. We would run around all day hand-flying approaches down to 200 feet and 1/2 mile visibility and not think twice about it. In the 737 hand flying an approach to 200 & 1/2 is practically an emergency procedure!...
          ...hair splitting on you...

It should be "easier" in the 737 right? Bigger = more stable / less disruption by wind gusts...

...I get it that the go-around when you go missed is a bit of a bigger deal, but still TOGA and promptly and mindfully pull up (being sure to not pull up relentlessly)...

But what you are really saying is that you and ATL aren't forced to do them any more and it is a somewhat bigger deal- not that you couldn't do it if need be?

Yes? No? Maybe?
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Working...
          X