Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asiana A320 landed short of runway at Hiroshima

Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

Deja vu, not sure if referring to Air Canada A320 at Halifax a few weeks back, or the SFO crash by Asiana...

Maybe Capt. Sum Ting Wong and FO Wi Tu Low have been demoted ?
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
      Maybe Capt. Sum Ting Wong and FO Wi Tu Low have been demoted ?
      My guess is Wi Tu Low had to be on this one

Comment

Originally posted by saupatel View Post
        My guess is Wi Tu Low had to be on this one
        This guy sounds more Eastern Indian, than Asian: Nuhat N. Ormal.

Originally posted by Insightful media article:
        "We have received a report that the plane approached the runway at an extremely low altitude, which led to the accident."

"As for the angle (of approach), it was not normal," he said.

About the only thing they don't say was the crash occurred because the plane hit the ground.

Well actually they did...I guess they hit some sort of security gate?

Originally posted by Insightful media article:
        they smashed into the localiser -- a large gate-like structure, six metres (20 feet) high, that sits around 300 metres (yards) from the start of the runway.
        The insightful article: http://news.yahoo.com/runway-approac...004651926.html
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

A couple of things come to my mind after seeing the photos on avherald:

1. Remember how these things used to end before collapsing approach lighting and ILS antenna were introduced? Burning wreckages and lots of casualties short of the threshold.

2. I would not have thought the A320 landing gear to be sturdy enough to take this touchdown and subsequent runway excursion standing up. Pretty impressive.

3. I'm not good at reading METARs, but weather doesn't seem to have been posing a problem if I interpreted the data correctly.

4. What about visual aids? Does Hiroshima have a PAPI/VASI and was it working on that day?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Kesternich View Post
            I'm not good at reading METARs, but weather doesn't seem to have been posing a problem if I interpreted the data correctly.
            I see rainy with definite low ragged clouds.

...stuff that I'm guessing would call for "good solid critical attention" to the ILS approach.

...but then again, nothing approaching the category this or category that level nor stuff that the industry doesn't routinely face without a hiccup.
            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

How to unlock the mysteries of METAR's in one easy step.....

If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Thanks a lot, Brian... This link went straight to my saved favorites

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                  I see rainy with definite low ragged clouds.

...stuff that I'm guessing would call for "good solid critical attention" to the ILS approach.

...but then again, nothing approaching the category this or category that level nor stuff that the industry doesn't routinely face without a hiccup.
                  That's what I meant. This is nothing anyone on the flight deck of a passenger airline should have difficulties with.

Comment

That's what I meant. This is nothing anyone on the flight deck of a passenger airline should have difficulties with.
                    You said, "the weather didn't seem to be posting a problem."

No big deal, but I'd counter that the weather was bad enough that it might be a genuine contributing-factor / slice of swiss cheese.

The transition from instruments to visual on landing with clouds reported at 300 feet (who knows if a lower chunk of clouds missed the detector and was right there on short short final?) can be tricky and might be just the thing to mess someone up and get you ~50 feet too low and wrapping angle iron around the landing gear...

...just something to geunuinely start or continue the one-in-a-million chain of events that so often lines up for a crash.

Comment

Unless the airline you fly for doesn't concern itself with stable approach criteria on non-precision approaches. I doubt the weather had much to do with it.

BTW: Rwy28 is definitely not a runway you want to overrun, so maybe that had some psychological effect on the approach.

Comment

Working...
                      X