Sick flight crew = sicker passengers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MCM View Post
    ...Do you know no-one else suffered turbulence?...

...I'm not sure whats so unlikely about that...
    1) Thanks for your discussion- your guess as to what happened is probably a reasonable reflection of the truth (or not ).

2) The one point that is slightly unresolved for me, is how can there be turbulence severe enough to make a flight crew sick BUT no other NEWSWORTHY turbulence incidents, not even a bruised flight attendant.

While I still think my point #2 might have a shred of validity- perhaps the truth is: 1) The FO indeed got airsick as you say (maybe not 100% due to turbulence) the diversion is as you describe, and 2) The media made a story out of it, and 3) the turbulence wasn't quite that super-severe as indeed we didn't hear much else about it.

No further reply needed, thanks again.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

No worries 3WE - I'll just add that you make a good point before which could also apply - it doesn't have to be violent 'toss you into the overhead locker' rough to cause motion sickness.

Sliding, wallowing, rhythmic movements up and down, side to side, would be just, if not more, capable of doing it than a few big bumps. Personally I find that sort of turbulence (if its even called that!) far more annoying and unpleasant.

Gabriel,

Yes, would be my answer. It would have to be pretty bad, but at least in theory its possible.

My spin on it would also be that if you make the pilots feel ill enough, their decision making could begin to suffer too.

Comment

Originally posted by MCM View Post
        No worries 3WE - I'll just add that you make a good point before which could also apply - it doesn't have to be violent 'toss you into the overhead locker' rough to cause motion sickness.

Sliding, wallowing, rhythmic movements up and down, side to side, would be just, if not more, capable of doing it than a few big bumps. Personally I find that sort of turbulence (if its even called that!) far more annoying and unpleasant.
        Yeah, a few chops is no big deal.

I have a small amount of expertise in this area- a few flying lessons way back when (steep turns, turns about a point, stalls (with reduced G's) turned on my responses...

...and any good roller coaster or carnival ride with severely reduced G's sharp turns, inversions or spinning (or a small boat on typical ocean waves) and the rest of the day will be spent with be ruined with a moderately intense "funny feeling" in my throat and a need to lock my eyes on the horizon and hold tight onto a large, object firmly attached to planet Earth (and not in condition to operate an airliner if I knew how).

Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
          ...and any good roller coaster or carnival ride with severely reduced G's sharp turns, inversions or spinning (or a small boat on typical ocean waves) and the rest of the day will be spent with be ruined with a moderately intense "funny feeling" in my throat and a need to lock my eyes on the horizon and hold tight onto a large, object firmly attached to planet Earth (and not in condition to operate an airliner if I knew how).
          I've come very close to seasickness once in a bad storm in a hydrofoil crossing at night with some very large swells. The only visual reference I had out the cabin window was the masthead light of another distant ship which would disappear at the top of the window and then come racing down and disappear at the bottom of the window, back and forth. Other than that, blackness, a sudden freefall followed by a jarrring crash, then an elevator back up, then a parabolic floating sensation and then repeat... I got up and went out on the stern where I could barely see the outline of the distant coastline between swells and, despite diesel fumes and the roar of the engines, felt instantly better.

Not having a visual horizon reference adds a lot to the nausea. Would infrared or synthetic vision or even the large pfd displays we are now seeing have helped here?

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
            Would infrared or synthetic vision or even the large pfd displays we are now seeing have helped here?
            In general, I think airline pilots have excellent tolerance to turbulence, so this incident is somewhat unusual and newsworthy. In fact, I'm thinking most pilots look forward to a nice bumpy, gusty, cross-windy hand-flown approach.

As stated in this thread, bumped and bruised passengers seem to be the bigger problem with this being about the first ever incidence of pilot air-sickness to make the news.

Comment

Working...
            X