No announcement yet.

Cessna L19E Birddog Fatal plane crash video released 25 years after it happened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cessna L19E Birddog Fatal plane crash video released 25 years after it happened

RIP

Cessna L19E Birddog Fatal plane crash video released 25 years after it happened

Raw video.Colorado.This video is 6 minutes long but captures the events but shows the kind of eeriness surrounding the crash and what led to it.

Cessna serial number 24527 - FAA Reg. Number N4584A - January, 2009 Intended Flight Route: Granby, Colorado to (Jeffco County) Denver, Colorado. Lost: August 10th, 1984 More.. at approx. 13:00 hours Found: August 23rd, 1987, near Tabernash, Colorado

It’s a very tragic tale – unwittingly caught on film by the gentleman who died in the crash along with a friend riding in the back seat. It was first shown to me (along with many others) at an FIRC (Flight Instructor Renewal Clinic) over 20 years ago.........

Video and more info at:

LiveLeak.com - Fatal plane crash video released 25 years after it happened

I remember watching this video in our aviation meteorology class back in the spring of '07 when we were talking about mountain wave. Pretty eerie watching it.

Comment

So what exactly is the mistake here? He gets some headwind I assume and turns around? So all of a sudden his true airspeed drops like a brick because he has a heavy tailwind instead of heavy headwind and he falls out of the sky?
      Should this be obvious to a normal pilot?

Comment

How not to fly in very high mountainous regions and how not to fly into trees; upside down.

ALWAYS keep the wings horizontal; in this case he should have intentionally crashed into the trees straight by pushing the nose down a bit.

Very survivable otherwise.

VERY FRUSTRATING to re-watch his 180 degree right U-turn in a narrow channel (probably wrong direction).

From the crabbing he looks like he might have turned downwind. My Provo, Utah check-ride taught me to never aim directly at a mountain.

You hear the stall warning, see his nose wobble up and down due to a serious stall, then go wing flat, then break his left wing (with sound), and roll over upside down due to missing left wing.

Just learned that you have to break BOTH wings almost at the SAME time; ... if they do break.

His effective/density flying altitude was 13,000 ft in august. That's very near the ceiling of plane (and engine). If he loses altitude he can't regain it in little time. Reminds me of Bryce canyon fly over, and Moab take-off I did (see u-tube vids).

Famous Quebec actress, and crazy boyfriend director died in a similar U-turn in northern Quebec 10 years ago; except they hit-rock straight-on after only doing 90 of 180 degrees.

Accidents due to wrongly chosen 180's don't happen rarely.

Comment

There was a link on the video page with a good explanation of the crash and the how the video survived.

Comment

Working...
          X