2 pilots and a pax criminally charged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 pilots and a pax criminally charged

The woman, a famous vedette, was in the cockpit for the duration of the flight.

Company statement (Note: Austral is a subsidiary of Aerolíneas Argentinas)

... the two pilots were grounded today and will be fired. Both pilots, as well as the passenger, will be criminally charged with endangering a flight. Additionally, following the company's policy regarding disruptive passengers, the passenger will be banned from Aerolíneas Argentinas and Austral flights for five years.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

It is worst than I thought. Watch the video in this link:

Fue el martes por la tarde, en el servicio 2708, de Buenos Aires a Rosario. "Si me hundo te venís conmigo", le dijo el piloto mientras era filmado por la vedette

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Amazing

It is unbeliavable, she is the most responsible inside the cockpit.
      - Who will accelarate?
      - You
      - I will? Are you sure, guys? Isn't it dangerous?

Comment

Is Gabriel the one on the right, or the one on the left and what does she think of stall training and procedures?
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

At least her tits have an aviation connection.....

.......they look like a dead heat in a Zeppelin race. 😜

But seriously, what were those pilots thinking. They must have known that the video would drop them deep in the smelly stuff.
          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
            Is Gabriel the one on the right, or the one on the left and what does she think of stall training and procedures?
            Let's just say that I am not the one in the middle.

But seriously, what were those pilots thinking. They must have known that the video would drop them deep in the smelly stuff.
            I don't know what they were thinking, but they didn't seem to be using their heads to think (not the one head over their shoulders at least, maybe another one between their legs).

Aerolíneas Argentinas and Austral (Austral was the one involved here) have improved the robustness of their procedures and their compliance culture a lot in the last 15 years or so. But one thing that they could never could eradicate was the "PIC's prerogative" approach.

There is a regulation in 14 CFR (FAR) and also in the Argentinian equivalent DNAR that basically says that the PIC, as the ultimate responsible for the whereabouts of the flight, has the authority to deviate from any requirement, for safety reasons.

Well, there is the idea in the pilots of AR and AU (at least in many of them, especially AU) that the "for safety reasons" part is not so important. As long as the PIC judges it is safe, he is good to deviate or authorize the deviation.

For example, I know of a case where a captain was approached by another employee of the airline who told him that a flight attendant was smoking in the jetway during refueling, and that was not permitted. The captain replied that she had requested permission to him to do it and he had conceded it, and that he as the PIC had the authority to do so.

I know of people that was admitted in the flight deck of Austral flights (including a Tomahawk pilot). My sample is not big enough to reach a final conclusion, but I also know of people that was denied that request in AR and LAN Arg.

After the incident, other facebook photos of celebrities in the flight deck surfaced, some of them taken in flight.

I am quite sure that:
            - This is in no way the first time that something similar to this happened. This was probably something relatively common but nobody was doing anything about this. I am sure, for example, the the Operations Manager, a pilot himself, knew about these things.
            - AR would have not reacted with the strength they did had the video not been made public.
            - This will be a turning point in the pilots'behavior and in the airline's behavior too, so welcome.

Another thing that I want to mention is that what pisses me off most is not the illegal admittance to the flight deck, not even that she advanced the throttles for take off. It is the absolute lack of sterile cockpit and discipline during extremely critical phases of flights like all the checklists before take-off, the take-off and the approach and landing.

Had they tell her, "ok, seat here, fasten your harness, and we need you to remain quiet and lets us focus on our jobs. We need to be very careful with the checks before the take off and the take off itself is a critical phase of flight. We will let you know when we can be more relaxed and talk a bit.", it would have still been illegal but they would have shown at least a minimum sense of judgement, perhaps they would have been disciplined but not fires, and very likely charging them criminally with endangering a flight would have not been viable.

There were so many deaths due to errors due to distractions in critical phases of flight, like not configuring the plane correctly or loosing situational awareness.

Comment

Working...
            X