No announcement yet.

Malaysia Airlines Loses Contact With 777 en Route to Beijing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=brianw999;632974]Plastic bottles and suitcases, unless they have airline markings of some kind could come from anywhere.
    The flaperon however can be identified as coming from a B777....and there's only one of them missing in the Indian Ocean right now.

Just kidding with you and BoeingBobby in the barnacles´ discussion.

Yes, in many cases, 1+1 is not 2. Certainly, more robust evidence is a direct correlation with MH370.
    Indonesian authorities just confirmed that wreckage is from MH370:
    Malaysia Airlines says wreckage found on Indian Ocean island comes from same model aircraft as MH370 which disappeared 16 months ago

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
      Not true. You also have the controlled high speed and the uncontrolled low speed scenarios. My impression is that BoingBobby suggests the controlled high speed one.
      Any controlled ditching would mean the rogue pilot was calmly flying the plane for eight (nine?) hours alone, after having killed off everyone on board, until fuel exhaustion before either plunging it into the sea or trying to ditch it (why?). That's a pretty hard-to-fathom scenario, no pun intended.

I can't see a plausible scenario here for a gentle, low speed, 'soft' ditching.

Comment

• Originally posted by AVION1 View Post
        Are you flying cargo airplane?
        That's another "world". I used to work for DHL, most of the stuff were on D.M.I.
        and we used to check the MEL on a daily basis, to see if they could fly with so many things on D.M.I.
        Did I not say I was flying 110 tons of cargo? Don't think that will fit in a pax bird!

Comment

• [QUOTE=Observer;632979]
          Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
          Plastic bottles and suitcases, unless they have airline markings of some kind could come from anywhere.
          The flaperon however can be identified as coming from a B777....and there's only one of them missing in the Indian Ocean right now.

Just kidding with you and BoeingBobby in the barnacles´ discussion.

Yes, in many cases, 1+1 is not 2. Certainly, more robust evidence is a direct correlation with MH370.
          Indonesian authorities just confirmed that wreckage is from MH370:
          http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...777-wing-piece
          Fear not, the whole barnacles bit is being treated as a joke.....I hope.
          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
            Any controlled ditching would mean the rogue pilot was calmly flying the plane for eight (nine?) hours alone, after having killed off everyone on board, until fuel exhaustion before either plunging it into the sea or trying to ditch it (why?). That's a pretty hard-to-fathom scenario, no pun intended.

I can't see a plausible scenario here for a gentle, low speed, 'soft' ditching.
            The insane mind does strange things.
            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
              Any controlled ditching would mean the rogue pilot was calmly flying the plane for eight (nine?) hours alone, after having killed off everyone on board, until fuel exhaustion before either plunging it into the sea or trying to ditch it (why?).
              I don't know. Why not? How about because the spirits were telling him to do so? Giving this level of craziness, the explanation doesn't need to be rational.

I am not saying in any way that this is what happened though. Just pointing out that there are other POSSIBilities (not LIKELibilities) byond the 3 ones numbered by Brian. If it is not impossible then it is possible.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
              --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Don't know if this has ever been covered (I'm assuming it was at some point in time): if the point of fuel exhaustion is on the 7th Arc, how far could a 777 glide in optimal conditions?

The width of the current indicative search area on the 7th Arc is approx. 200 NM. That is - if we follow the curve of the arc itself. Does the Wide Search Area take gliding into account?

I notice that in the process they've discovered a couple of unidentified shipwrecks

AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Originally posted by orangehuggy
                the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

• Source

the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

• Originally posted by James Bond View Post
                    Does the Wide Search Area take gliding into account?
                    Yes, it does.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

• Just curious - is there any particular reason the part has had to be shipped to France to determine if it is part of this plane? Assuming, as has been said, there would have been serial number tags on it, could a researcher not have simply taken a photo or read the tags over the phone?
                      And even if not, why France specifically? I could understand if it was an Airbus and being taken back to the factory for comparison.

Comment

• Originally posted by sjwk View Post
                        Just curious - is there any particular reason the part has had to be shipped to France to determine if it is part of this plane? Assuming, as has been said, there would have been serial number tags on it, could a researcher not have simply taken a photo or read the tags over the phone?
                        And even if not, why France specifically? I could understand if it was an Airbus and being taken back to the factory for comparison.
                        I'm guessing they want a full confirmation including testing the paint but there in no rush aren't they

It will be transported to Toulouse for analysis in a defence ministry laboratory. French officials said analysis of the wing part would begin on Wednesday, along with an examination of parts of a suitcase discovered nearby.
                        SYDNEY (AFP) - Authorities hunting for Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 said on Friday that they were “increasingly confident” that wreckage found on an Indian Ocean island was from the ill-fated jet, raising hopes of solving one of aviation’s great mysteries. Read more at straitstimes.com.

here's the flaperon arriving at ORY

Comment

Just curious - is there any particular reason the part has had to be shipped to France to determine if it is part of this plane? Assuming, as has been said, there would have been serial number tags on it, could a researcher not have simply taken a photo or read the tags over the phone?
                          Why France: because the piece was found in France's territory (Reunion Island). Until they have confirmation that this is from MH370, France will be in charge. Once they confirm it is from MH370, the piece will be delivered to leading investigators.

Why additional analysis beyond serial number: because a full investigation will try to also determine how the plane crashed and where this piece came from.

Why Toulouse: because BEA, which is at the moment leading this part of the investigation has sattelite offices in Toulouse.

Probably a BEA metallurgical lab is located in Toulouse, which is one of Europe's aviation centre.

Nothing related to Airbus

Comment

• Originally posted by Observer View Post
                            Why Toulouse: because BEA, which is at the moment leading this part of the investigation has sattelite offices in Toulouse.

Probably a BEA metallurgical lab is located in Toulouse, which is one of Europe's aviation centre.

Nothing related to Airbus
                            Except that Airbus is based in Toulouse...

Comment

I think you are trying to be logical and practical. The reality is different.
                              France is a very judicial state, (like Argentina that I know better) where the Justice has preponderance over anything else. A French Judge determined that this could be a French Judicial cause (a plane wreckage was found in France, there is potential for manslaughter and other charges) so he took over and is taking judicial decisions over the evidence. He is not interested, by now, in solving the MH370 case, but in investigating what is this potential evidence of a crime without prejudice of what it might be.

Comment

• sorta like why australia is in charge of the search... who knows and who cares.

maybe this is stupid but does that part actually float?

Comment

Working...
                                X