Malaysia Airlines Loses Contact With 777 en Route to Beijing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AVION1 View Post
    In my old days we used to call them "Krueger" flaps.
    Today are "flaperons"?
    Well if it was an 'elevon' then it would have been a concorde and THAT would REALLY have mussed up the mystery by several orders of magnitude!

/jk

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
      Yes. ..

Here you cannot see it because the pilot is applying right aileron (probably due to crosswind). So the down flap deflection is cancelled by the up aileron deflection. You can see the outboard aileron deflected up.
      thanks!!

Comment

• Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
        Blue arrow is the inboard aileron.
        Which I think also acts as flap to "smooth" the gap between the two flaps.

(If I am wrong I will have to delete several posts)

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Today are "flaperons"?
          Krueger flaps are leading-edge devices (like the slats).

Flaps, ailerons, and hence flaperons are trailing-edge devices.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Which I think also acts as flap to "smooth" the gap between the two flaps.

(If I am wrong I will have to delete several posts)
            I'm adding this pic just to shine light howerier it might or might not do...

I read this diagram as indicating that the blue arrow piece is the 'flaperon' as I suspected and Gabriel (I think) seconded...

EDIT: thx BoeingBobby and Gabriel for your education of me it is much appreciated!

Comment

• Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
              [flaperons] We have them on the 747-8 and they are used on take-off and landing and also in a system known as flair assist.
              I am quite sure you meant "flare assist".

I normally would not do that, but coming from the official resident spell corrector...

And please do not ever say "wind sheer" either.

Comment

• Originally posted by obmot View Post

Is the green arrow part also a "flaperon"? Pardon my ignorance here, I ask to learn!
                The green arrow is pointing to the inboard flap. The blue arrow points to the 'flaperon'. The flaperon is an inboard aileron used for high-speed roll control.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't refresh the page so I now see Gabe and BB already answered your question.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
                  The green arrow is pointing to the inboard flap. The blue arrow points to the 'flaperon'. The flaperon is an inboard aileron used for high-speed roll control.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't refresh the page so I now see Gabe and BB already answered your question.
                  Yes but you confirmed it and worded it differently as well so thanks 2 u 2 !

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
                    TThe flaperon is an inboard aileron used for high-speed roll control.
                    ... and also works as a flap.
                    (sorry, but if not it would be just an aileron, high speed, inboard and all you want, but just an aileron, not a flaperon).

Comment

• I expected that, by now, it would be known and public whether this part belongs to MH-370 or not.

Comment

• Is it more important what we call this thing or more important if it indeed came from a 777?
                        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Today are "flaperons"?
                          Krueger flaps are leading edge devices that rotate out from under the wing (a la the 747) rather than extend from the leading edge (a la the 777). The B777 actually does have two small kreuger flaps, one on each wing between the inboard slat and the engine pylon.

Comment

I normally would not do that, but coming from the official resident spell corrector...

And please do not ever say "wind sheer" either.

Shit you know I know better, that was the damn auto correct.

And I will be glad to shear your lamb as well.

Comment

... and also works as a flap.
                              (sorry, but if not it would be just an aileron, high speed, inboard and all you want, but just an aileron, not a flaperon).
                              Correct, it serves both purposes, hence the name (actually, the outboard 'ailerons' also deploy symmetrically on takeoff to provide some added lift).

But before 3WE accuses us of geeking out on terminology, there is a significant aspect to this panel. It's hard to say what would happen in a fuel-exhaustion scenario without pilot intervention because nobody ever considered it. But if the plane went into a spiral dive and the bank angle protection was still functioning, those flaperons would be deployed up to the full deflection to arrest the roll and in such a dive they might be torn from the wing. Something to consider...

Comment

Of course when BoeingBobby does it, it's done with flair.

Comment

Working...
                                X