Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Widebody-only airlines

Hey everybody,
    I was plane spotting at WMKK / KUL today and while sitting there and watching all the Asian airlines drop by I was thinking about how Singapore Airlines have an all widebody fleet these days. And then I began to think about which other airlines come to mind that have widebody-only fleets.
    Currently, I came up with Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific and Emirates.
    Historically, JAL and Qantas were part of the club.
    Am I missing anybody? If so, who? And I am talking about bigger passenger airlines here, not just a cargo start-up with a single derelict 747-100.
    Thanks for your input, everybody.
    Peter

Virgin Atlantic, Air Tahiti Nui.

Comment

QANTAS have stepped out of the club as they now operate 737's.

But other than that I can't think of any passenger only airlines with a widebody only fleet.
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Historically LTU was in the club.

Comment

Corsair nowadays only operates B747s and A330s.

Comment

V Australia & Air Austral are another couple.

Comment

Originally posted by boeingfreak View Post
              Corsair nowadays only operates B747s and A330s.
              THAT'S the one out of the TUI group that I was trying to remember !!

...and I love their registration sequence of F-HSUN, F-HSEA and F-HSEX !!

All they need is F-SAND and they've cracked it !
              Last edited by brianw999; 2010-04-06, 20:27.
              If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Going back into history, weren't Pan American all widebody at the very end of their operations ? Ditto UTA. Also, I think Air India were all wide body until they acquired Indian Airlines.

Comment

Air Transit, Air Asia X, Oasis Hong Kong, Presidential Airlines(90s not 80s), USAfrica, The Hawaii Express, Laker Airways USA, Rich International, Air America/Total Air, Tower Air, Air Hawaii, Maxjet, Silverjet, JALways, Air Rum, and Metro Airlines are all I can come up with off the top of my head past/present.
                  sigpic
                  http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by paulc View Post
                    V Australia & Air Austral are another couple.
                    Actually Air Austral isn't, as they operate a couple of ATRs and 737s.

Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
                    Going back into history, weren't Pan American all widebody at the very end of their operations ?
                    They still had 727s left when they were shut down, much like every reincarnation since then.

Comment

So...

Current: Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Emirates, Virgin Atlantic, V Australia, Corsair, Air Transat...
                      Historic: Qantas, JAL, Air India, UTA... Hmmmmmm - I should have caught LTU as historic widebody operator... *lol...

Good, I learned something or rather was reminded of something

Air Tahiti Nui - aren't they just the international arm of Air Tahiti which also operates ATRs?
                      As for Air Asia X - I wouldn't count them. In my opinion this is not a separate airline.

Also thanks for the input, Crunk415balla, but I was looking at mainline passenger airlines with big fleets. Let's say at least 15 aircraft plus...

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Kesternich View Post
                        Air Tahiti Nui - aren't they just the international arm of Air Tahiti which also operates ATRs?
                        Two separate companies as far as I'm aware.

Comment

So...

Current: Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Emirates, Virgin Atlantic, V Australia, Corsair, Air Transat...
                          Technically many of these are not real all wide-bodies airlines.

V Australia is owned by Virgin Blue, which operates 737. So it's like Air Asia X really, just the long haul arm of the parent carrier.

Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines are the other way around. They have fully owned subsidiaries that run regional routes using A320s. Cathay Pacific's regional subsidiary is Dragonair and Singapore Airlines' regional subsidiary is Silkair. They readily swap schedules with their regional subsidiaries if demand requires.

Corsair and Transat are more like charter airlines. Besides, Transat regularly charters WestJet's 737 whenever its routes require narrow-body services. You will find a number of WestJet's 737s flying for Transat at the same time most of the time.
                          Next:
                          None Planned

Comment

Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
                            Going back into history, weren't Pan American all widebody at the very end of their operations ? Ditto UTA. Also, I think Air India were all wide body until they acquired Indian Airlines.
                            Not exactly as they ordered 737s to launch Air India Express (though, as for that - can we consider that to be a seperate airline?) prior to the merger with Indian Airlines.

To add to the Historic List (until rather recently) would be Ethiad Airways...
                            Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

No. Air Tahiti is pretty much an independent carrier, whereas ATN is majority-owned by the Tahitian Government, which also happens to be the only reason why ATN is even still flying any more.

Comment

Working...
                              X