Overnight stops...who pays ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overnight stops...who pays ?

Wea re thinking of flying to the Dominican Republic from London next year. The only way to fly non stop is with Thomson but none of the scheduled carriers have non-stop flights and all of them require at least a 10 hour stopover with a next day departure.
    Travel options are AA/AA, BA/AA and United.
    My question is....do the scheduled airlines supply an overnight hotel when there is no immediately connecting flight ?
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

I've never heard of an airline proving accommodation for such a flight.
    However I have had airlines get me the airline crew hotel rate (KLM was one such airline).

Comment

It did happen for us on Japan Airlines a few years back when they put us up in the airport hotel at Narita before going on to Australia the next day.

The point to be made here is that the flight timings are set by the airlines. There is no connection on the same day to the DR for flights arriving from the UK. I know that BA fly non-stop to Punta Cana but we are going to Puerto Plata on the other side of the island.

Comment

i'll tell you this. AA wouldn't give you a friggin cot let alone an overnight somewhere.

book the non-stop, rent a car and explore the island a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
          We are thinking of flying to the Dominican Republic from London next year. The only way to fly non stop is with Thomson but none of the scheduled carriers have non-stop flights and all of them require at least a 10 hour stopover with a next day departure.
          Travel options are AA/AA, BA/AA and United.
          My question is....do the scheduled airlines supply an overnight hotel when there is no immediately connecting flight ?
          The only airlines that I know of, in the world, that provides accommodation for such an issue would be some of the Gulf carriers...

EMIRATES
          http://www.emirates.com/us/english/p...i-connect.aspx

As a special courtesy to our passengers, in certain cases where an itinerary calls for a longer stopover in Dubai, Emirates will provide accommodation, meals, ground transportation, and visa costs.

This service is available to:

First Class and Business Class passengers for whom the best connection time is not available and who have a transit of more than six hours and less than 24 hours upon arrival in Dubai. (Further conditions apply.*)

Economy Class passengers for whom the best connection time is not available and who have a transit of more than eight hours and less than 24 hours upon arrival in Dubai. (Further conditions apply.*)
          QATAR AIRWAYS
          http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...mmodation.page
          In certain cases, as a special service Qatar Airways will arrange accommodation, entry visas, airport transfers, and meals to passengers facing extended transit times in Doha.
          This service may be available if the following criteria is collectively met:
          There is no connection of less than 8 hours available;
          The transit time in Doha is between 8 and 24 hours;
          The booking does not include flights to or from Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH), Dubai (DWC), Dubai (DXB), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT), and Sharjah (SHJ).
          Ethiad, does not...
          http://www.etihad.com/en-us/faqs/
          No, if your itinerary includes an onward connection, please note that Etihad Airways does not provide any accommodation, regardless of your connection time.
          Turkish, despite not being a Gulf carrier - does...
          TURKISH
          http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...rvice-requests
          A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey.
          In the current environment I cannot imagine any carrier in North America, or hell, in any part of the Americas offering a similar service. Perhaps if you were an elite member of the applicable carrier's membership group and purchased a ticket in Business of First, it might be negotiable, but I can't imagine that they would provide it openly, or without issue.

As for MIA, it's a great place to stop over if you had to. The hotels on the beach are not too expensive (save for being here during tourist season), and there are tonnes of hotels in the area. If the price is right, it might be a great stopover.

Have you already chosen your dates of travel - because British Airways/Air Berlin have a LHR-MUC-POP (and return via the same points) with the journey being 13 hours and not overnighting.
          Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Oh well. looks like we won't be using any of the US based airlines. In phoned around American and United and, while it seems that they used to supply a hotel for scheduling enforced overnight stops they don't do it any more.

So, a slightly more expensive Thomson Airways B787 Dreamliner it will be. At least it's a nonstop flight from the UK, they have a minimum 33inch legroom in economy and a premium cabin if I feel like splashing out around £350 more.

I can always sit up by where the EPIRB's are stored to keep warm.

Comment

Some travel sites promote flight/hotel packages for such an occasion.

Comment

They expect you to hunker down in a corner of the terminal in exchange for a cheap fare. I did one of those via Houston IAH once, and after walking miles of every corner of the terminal was unable to find a single area in which CNN wasn't being piped in via speakers for the TVs 24/7. Awful.

Sometimes it makes sense to grab a room at a cheap nearby hotel...in the US there is usually a motel near the airport where you can get a decent room to sleep in for $60-80 a night.

Comment

Working...
                X