This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Problem Proprietor pronounces:

Mmmm… I think it’s time to cut your list of US States down a little…

1) this State has a well known monument which was used, and altered, by the classic #2 line-up of a British Rock group for the cover artwork of the Band’s fourth studio album. The album was cut with 7 tracks which start, in order, with the letters: S, B, C on side 1 and F, I, L, H on side 2.

a. what is the band’s name?
    b. what is the monument?
    c. which State is the monument in?

2) this well known Band featured a famous aviation photograph on the cover of their debut album. The album contains 9 tracks, the last letter of each being, in order: S, U, E, D, E, E, N, Y, S.

a. what is the Band’s name?
    b. what did the photograph capture?
    c. which State was the photograph taken in?

3) This photo of a very well known volcano was taken from the window of a flight over the USA I was on.

a. What is the name of the volcano?
    b. which State is the volcano in?

Complete answers only please.
    Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-12-11, 09:47. Reason: Addition of caveat

All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last (Marcel Proust)

Comment

• 1. Deep Purple, Mt Rushmore, Oregon.

2. Led Zeppelin, Hindenburg crash, New Jersey.

3. Mt. St. Helens, Washington.
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
        1. Deep Purple, Mt Rushmore, Oregon.

2. Led Zeppelin, Hindenburg crash, New Jersey.

3. Mt. St. Helens, Washington.

Correct on all counts sir, and the airport is not in any of those States.

The surviving list is, therefore: Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware Florida Georgia Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming

All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last (Marcel Proust)

Comment

• Oh goody....

......that narrows it down a bit !

Comment

Oh goody....

......that narrows it down a bit !
            Well, I know how you love fishing Brian and who am I to spoil the fun!
            ... and, anyway, looking on the bright side: 88% possibilty is better than 100% in this case

Another series of questions to narrow it down for you to follow.... after shut eye, all things being well.

Comment

• Little tip, There are no International Airports in Delaware per my brain. I'll go check.

Comment

• Originally posted by ced ampo View Post
                Little tip, There are no International Airports in Delaware per my brain. I'll go check.
                Mmmm... I think people might like to hear about how your 'B Check' went too...
                Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-12-12, 17:29. Reason: Contents moved to new post so that they wouldn't get missed...

Comment

• Originally posted by ced ampo View Post
                  Little tip, There are no International Airports in Delaware per my brain. I'll go check.
                  Unless you count Dover AFB . Delaware has two commercial airports, but no commercial service whatsoever.

Comment

• Originally posted by DAL767-400ER View Post
                    Unless you count Dover AFB . Delaware has two commercial airports, but no commercial service whatsoever.

The Puzzle Proprietor pronounces:

And reward for your detective work is confirmation that this airport is not in Delaware.

FYI - whilst we could all argue the toss over whether this is "a" tribe or a collection of tribes, Delaware is also the name of a native Indian tribe.
                    Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-12-12, 13:17.

Comment

• Your next puzzle...

The Problem Proprietor pronounces:

For your next puzzle, I’m going to have to break my usual straight forward methods and get just a little bit cryptic, otherwise it could get so loose that I might as well just tell you the States.

Mmmm, yes, I can see your cog-wheels turning in your heads saying “that would suit me fine!”… but then you just wouldn’t have the fun of a chase, the satisfaction of new knowledge or the pleasure of the catch, so I hope you appreciate the favour being given you!

To clarify then, and possibly contrary to common belief, the point of cryptic clues aren't to cloud things, make things ‘clever for clever’s sake’ or to get you embroiled in trying to 'read between the (my) lines'. They're there to make it possible for you to find the solution to the puzzle rather than a possible solution.

The Poet says:

So now it's explained
                      And you know what to focus on
                      Here's food for your brains
                      To enjoy and ponder on

The Problem Proprietor pronounces:

These three States are all connected by the same native Indian tribe.

The first two take their names directly from this tribe and another similarly named tribe.

The third State's name is a word in that tribe’s language which describes hudor’s heavenly hue.

a. what is the name of the two Indian tribes?
                      b. what are the first two States?
                      c. what does the Indian word mean?
                      d. what is the Indian word?
                      Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-12-12, 17:59.

Comment

• 1. Dakota, Lakota tribes.

2. North Dakota, South Dakota states.

3. Sky tinted water.

4. Minnesota.

Comment

1. Dakota, Lakota tribes.

2. North Dakota, South Dakota states.

3. Sky tinted water.

4. Minnesota.

Absolutely... and here's your current list:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Florida Georgia Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Mexico New York North Carolina Ohio Oklahoma Rhode Island South Carolina Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming

Comment

• The Problem Proprietor pronounces:

Time to narrow your search area again so here’s some cryptic clues...

1) Take an OK pass, solve the anagram and find a State and its capital city.

2) It sounds like the lion’s collar is also most important for this State!

3) I join first and dissect last for this State.
                            Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-12-13, 18:48. Reason: Better wording

Comment

• 1. Kansas....Topeka

2. Maine.

3. Buggered if I know !!!

Comment

1. Kansas....Topeka

2. Maine.

3. Buggered if I know !!!

All three correct I see Brian!

I thought after I posted it up, it reads better and is more logical if it were worded like this:

I join before and dissect after for this State.

I'll leave that with you for a while but, in the meantime, the airport is not in Kansas or Maine.

Cheers, Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X