Screening Queue Too Long !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by as737700 View Post
    Some awesome analysis done by Dave in the screener forum concluded that reducing regular members to 15 images in the queue at a time (as opposed to 20) would reduce the current queue by almost 3500. Limiting the ELITE members who upload 500-600 images at a time to 100 images in the queue at a time would reduce the queue size by an additional 2000+.
    Granted, but I think you may have missed my point, which was how many regularly upload 500+ at once or 100 or even 50+ at a time for that matter. I would still suspect its the number of uploaders rather than a few uploading vast amounts that result in the overall size of the queue. Therefore putting an cap on the number any individual has in the queue at any one time would have small benefit on the total number of photos in the queue at any one time which is surely the issue. How this may be resolved for those who wish for a faster turn around, not me, for example, I have no idea. Maybe the current screeners should stop slacking and do their job... JOKING!!! or maybe more temporary screeners is the answer, I don't know. As I said before I don't care how long it takes to get my stuff screened as long as its screened carefully.
    Regards
    René

Comment

I have to point out the large amount of photos that have been screened so far the last few days. Thanks for the effort and well done screeners!

Comment

Originally posted by rmk2112 View Post
        Granted, but I think you may have missed my point, which was how many regularly upload 500+ at once or 100 or even 50+ at a time for that matter. I would still suspect its the number of uploaders rather than a few uploading vast amounts that result in the overall size of the queue. Therefore putting an cap on the number any individual has in the queue at any one time would have small benefit on the total number of photos in the queue at any one time which is surely the issue. How this may be resolved for those who wish for a faster turn around, not me, for example, I have no idea. Maybe the current screeners should stop slacking and do their job... JOKING!!! or maybe more temporary screeners is the answer, I don't know. As I said before I don't care how long it takes to get my stuff screened as long as its screened carefully.
        Regards
        René
        Sorry for the vague and rushed response from earlier, I'll try to answer your question (and satisfy my own curiosity) with some statistics this time

Currently, there are 14126 photos in the queue from 1184 photographers (average=11.93, max=360, min=1). Considering 50 as a "queue limit" for everyone, there are "only" 44 photographers with greater than 50 photos in the queue at the moment.

This doesn't seem like a lot. However, if we take the number of photos that each of these photographers have in the queue and subtract 50, thereby determining the number of "extra" photos that are in the queue, and add them up, we get 2000.

Therefore, the number of photographers who "mass upload" (if we consider 50 "mass uploading") are quite small, but they add up. If we were to get more people uploading 50+ photos, which tends to happen during the summer, you can see how we can get way above 2000 "additional" photos.

What's the "perfect" solution to the queue limit problems? I don't know. But I can promise you that there are discussions going on behind the scenes, as well.
        Last edited by as737700; 2014-04-09, 20:21.

Comment

Originally posted by RCoulter View Post
          I have to point out the large amount of photos that have been screened so far the last few days. Thanks for the effort and well done screeners!
          Amen to that Ryan - some screeners are fairly sailing through the queue!! Thanks very much!!!

Comment

What's the "perfect" solution to the queue limit problems? I don't know.
            I suspect there isn't one. A compromise can be reached that balances number of uploads, queue time, and how to piss off the least amount of people, but there will always be unhappy people, too many photos in the queue, and screening times that are too long. I'm sure that you could approximate the best solution making some Excel spreadsheets and whatnot, but it will be far from perfect.
            [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

One thing which would make sense is a daily up-load limit, as this would make the queue grew slower. It often happens that we reduce the queue just to be faced with 2000+ up-loads the next day, with many photographers adding 50+ shots at such moments.

Comment

Sorry for the vague and rushed response from earlier, I'll try to answer your question (and satisfy my own curiosity) with some statistics this time

Currently, there are 14126 photos in the queue from 1184 photographers (average=11.93, max=360, min=1). Considering 50 as a "queue limit" for everyone, there are "only" 44 photographers with greater than 50 photos in the queue at the moment.

This doesn't seem like a lot. However, if we take the number of photos that each of these photographers have in the queue and subtract 50, thereby determining the number of "extra" photos that are in the queue, and add them up, we get 2000.

Therefore, the number of photographers who "mass upload" (if we consider 50 "mass uploading") are quite small, but they add up. If we were to get more people uploading 50+ photos, which tends to happen during the summer, you can see how we can get way above 2000 "additional" photos.

What's the "perfect" solution to the queue limit problems? I don't know. But I can promise you that there are discussions going on behind the scenes, as well.
                Thanks for your full reply Derin
                2000 is 2000 I guess, well if it helps I'm happy to have my current queued photos removed and I'll upload them again later in the year when its quieter
                Regards
                René

Comment

Originally posted by rmk2112 View Post
                  Thanks for your full reply Derin
                  2000 is 2000 I guess, well if it helps I'm happy to have my current queued photos removed and I'll upload them again later in the year when its quieter
                  Regards
                  René
                  Don't be silly, it's fine

Comment

Fantastic work by the screeners over the last few days to get the queue down! Thanks.

Comment

Great work guy's!

Comment

Queue size

Couple of thoughts from my end.

Personally, the queue size has never been an issue for me. At the end of the day we are all contributing our pics to a database to share and showcase our work. Further more the screeners are working in their spare time and doing their best with the screening process to review the pics. I have always uploaded at same rate irrespective of whether the queue is 15K+ or at 2K

However, if placing some restrictions on number of daily uploads on elite members will "really" help, i would support it as an elite member. The reason i have an elite membership is that i process in bursts when i find time due to my frequent travel and I find a queue limit of 20 to be restrictive in such cases. Dont remember uploading more than 20 pics in a day and having more that 60 pics in the queue at any point in time.

Comment

Originally posted by Siddarth.Bhandary View Post
                          Personally, the queue size has never been an issue for me.
                          The reason i have an elite membership is that i process in bursts when i find time due to my frequent travel
                          Ditto...I travel heaps and find that I mostly upload in batches, but I will put my hand up and say that I've had my queue up to 300 a couple of times. Not that it's up to me or anything, but if there were limitations on the elite accounts, I could obviously live with that (it's only a hobby, after all!), though would vote more along the lines of a daily limit as opposed to a total queue length limit.

As penance for my part in the huge queue (300?) I will only upload a few photos over the next week or two.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk View Post
                            We had times when one photographer had ~1000 shots in the queue. 400-800 is not that rare.
                            Wow, I thought there were upload limits to about 25 or so, at least thats what it tells me when I submit. Is this not the case for some people? any more than 50 or even 100 is really really excessive!

EDIT: ok just saw the rest of the discussion concerning this. Obviously paid elite members should have such privileges, but having more than 300 photos in the queue at once still seems really excessive!

Comment

More than 20 days of queue? Wow!

Comment

Yep! People seem to adore us. WOW!
                                My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Working...
                                X