X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
    W
    05:43AM 33.8230 -86.7190 206° SW 288 533 9.500 -3.960 Level FlightAware
    05:44AM 33.7760 -86.7480 207° SW 275 509 5.500 -5.520 Descending FlightAware
    05:44AM 33.7247 -86.7489 207° SW 278 515 2.600 -1.860 Descending Atlanta Center
    05:45AM 33.6644 -86.7469 178° S 248 459 2.500 -420 Descending Atlanta Center
    05:46AM 33.6206 -86.7456 178° S 200 370 1.800 -540 Descending Atlanta Center
    05:47AM 33.5681 -86.7539 188° S 191 354 1.500 -300 Descending Atlanta Center
    By my amateur Google Maps reckoning, they were about 7 seven miles out, not yet at the FAF and more or less on the glidepath when the VS is reduced to -420. But that last coordinate at 1500' puts them over the field, which is not possible.

Anyway, VS doesn't seem to indicate an unstablized approach. But is that ground speed before the altitude?

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post

AND....7000 feet is not that short of a runway. I know we all think of big airports and 10K feet+ runways, but I'm thinking the average landing roll of an airliner making a normal landing with passenger comfort in mind is roughly 5000 feet- to say nothing of a concerted effort to make a short landing.
      AFAIK, an A300-600F at MLW needs about 7300'. So start from there...

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
        Source?

And don't forget the figure of actual roll out- I'm thinking 7300 includes lots of safety buffers.
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
          Where do you come up with this stuff?
          I was wondering the same.

Comment

Pilots: I'm curious, during a normal approach clearly at some 'point' GPWS will not sound because the aircraft obviously will touch the ground (the runway).

So at what point during an approach does GPWS 'know' not to sound - and in this incident would the GPWS have sounded given that we know they clipped trees .5 + mile out i.e. below the GS?

I'm probably not asking this question quite the right way but I'm sure you will understand my query.

Comment

Originally posted by Leftseat86 View Post
              I was wondering the same.
              Keep wondering....
              A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

Where do you come up with this stuff?
                The Captain with 5 trillion hours, flight time, just spoke !
                A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

Originally posted by AVION1 View Post
                  So...your statement was, shall we say, "a little bit out there", and I don't have 5 trillion hours either.

Where did you come up with it, or is it that "rule of thumb" that some pilots use to hand fly below 10,000 to keep their skills up?

Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

I attempted to do a little sketching of the incident area based on media photos and photos posted by B757 ...

Comment

A few more sketches, the folks in the newly-built houses (2 of which were right in the path) (see blue circles - houses appear to be fairly new as they are not shown in the slightly earlier image) are probably feeling pretty lucky given this unfortunate incident.

Comment

Originally posted by AVION1 View Post
                        About AVION1
                        Biography
                        My first solo flight: 18 years old....and now I am 49 years old..!!...more than 30 years flying!
                        Occupation
                        Chief Inspector, FAA Accountable Manager. Licenses: A&P, Repairman Certificate, Private Pilot ASEL

O.K. Lets see, over 30 years and still a private pilot with single engine only.
                        No commercial, instrument, or multi.

But you are an expert aren't you!

Comment

What a dick .

Comment

Both recorders recovered - but they look fire damaged and in poor shape based onTV pictures. Hope the data is recovereable.

Comment

About AVION1
                              Biography
                              My first solo flight: 18 years old....and now I am 49 years old..!!...more than 30 years flying!
                              Occupation
                              Chief Inspector, FAA Accountable Manager. Licenses: A&P, Repairman Certificate, Private Pilot ASEL

O.K. Lets see, over 30 years and still a private pilot with single engine only.
                              No commercial, instrument, or multi.

But you are an expert aren't you!
                              I'm not that different from Avion...Soloed at 18, now I'm 53 and am stuck at 100 hours...

...and I have said some very wrong things in aviation forums over the years (not that different from Avion)

(by the way, so has our beloved Gabriel who is also a Private Pilot Parlour Talker).

But, if I say something wrong, I appreciate correction (and guess what- in some instances that correction has come with some harsheness from folks such as ITS and Flyboy)

So, 30 years of reading aviation magazines, books (and worse yet, Internet forums). You learn some things.

You do not learn other things.

Sometimes you learn when someone like Bobby, ITS or Flyboy lays into you, other times it's more gentle from VNav or Synder.

Of course, some people refuse to learn. Those folks tend to make me a little harsh too.

A broad statement that "the autopilot is typically switched off at 9000 feet"...sorry, but guess again.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                                judging from the lack of tons of cargo strewn about in the few pics that have come out, i doubt very much the a/c was anywhere near mlw

Comment

Working...
                                X