Wing Walker crash at Dayton air show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wing Walker crash at Dayton air show

RIP Jane Wicker. I just saw her at the Florida International Airshow a few months back.

Brutal video of the crash.

A stunt plane crashed at an Ohio air show on Saturday, killing two people, organizers said.

Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.

Such a tragedy. RIP my fellow Virginian and of course the Pilot also.

Comment

It's strange.

It looks as if they wanted to roll inverted to make and inverted pass, but for some reason they were not able to hold altitude on the inverted position and at the last time there was a desperate intent to roll back to upright level, but too late.

That, or some problem with the ailerons that can explain the sudden last roll.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Looking at that, I notice the brief bit of smoke from the engine when his starboard wing is perpendicular. Could it have been an unrecoverable engine issue at too low an altitude? [/parlour talking]

Arrow

Comment

You can also she was unprepared for the roll as her hands flew up in the air, and even if the roll had been completed I think she would have come off the wing.

Comment

It seems obvious from the video that her arm goes flying up in the air as the plane dives, but one site has decided she was waving to the crowd about a half-second before her wing impacted the ground.

DAYTON — A stunt-plane’s wing walker and her pilot died in a fiery crash Saturday as they performed for thousands of people at the Vectren Dayton Air Show. ...

Comment

I was there, right up by the fence and watching, as it happened. She was NOT waving at the crowd at the moments immediately before the crash. I believe what is being perceived as a wave is in fact her arm being thrown up by the forces she experienced as the plane went out of control, or perhaps her reaction to her predicament knowing she was in trouble. NOT a crowd wave in my most sincere opinion.

Rick.

Comment

That sounds most plausible. She was probably aware that the ac was no longer in coordinated flight and was perhaps reacting to maintain balance?
                Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick G View Post
                  I was there, right up by the fence and watching, as it happened.
                  That must have been unforgettable, in the worst way.

Originally posted by Rick G View Post
                  She was NOT waving at the crowd at the moments immediately before the crash.
                  Right, I was surprised that a paper/news source would interpret it that way, but it seems most likely that it was the forces the aircraft shifting direction that caused her arm to swing upwards.

Comment

Most reporters and editors don't know squat about aviation and will print anything. It's akin to any accident at a small field or involving general aviation aircraft. The two cliches they resort to are:

- It was at an uncontrolled airport.

- They didn't file a flight plan.
                    Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

R.I.P I wonder could it have been fuel starvation following by stall do to slow speed. Either way we will see what NTSB/FAA will report. This reminds me of a Su-27 crash in Poland when the plane was upside down it crashed.

Comment

Working...
                      X