Malaysia Airlines Loses Contact With 777 en Route to Beijing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by B757300 View Post
    I was referring to how every single report seems to be contradicted by at least one other "source," only to either be confirmed later, or resurface in some variation again.
    That seems to be a function of the Malaysian authorities simply denying everything out of hand, until they no longer can, understanding that evidence is pointing to what to Malaysians may be an ugly truth, a tragedy perpetrated by one of their own.

Comment

• Live link for the soon to start press conference.

A better link from Sky News.

Comment

• Malaysian PM: Last Imarsat transmission at 12:11 UTC/8:11 MYT
        AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Originally posted by orangehuggy
        the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

• Originally posted by James Bond View Post
          Malaysian PM: Last Imarsat transmission at 12:11 UTC/8:11 MYT
          The video was less that great quality for me ... did the PM say that the northern corridor extended all the way to Kazakhstan?

"Plane lost communication with satellites was in two possible corridors. One in the corridor of North Kazakhstan to Turkey and second from Indonesia to South Indian Ocean," he says.

Read more at: http://www.firstpost.com/world/live-...ce=ref_article
          Is it even remotely possible they could fly north to that northern corridor, without being detected. There is all sorts of conflict out there, someone would have had to see it.
          The southern corridor seems more plausible, but searching that expanse of water will not be easy, and it is deep out there. This is crazy and so very sad.
          Last edited by Bryan; 2014-03-15, 06:49. Reason: added quote from PM and thoughts

Comment

• Originally posted by James Bond View Post
            Malaysian PM: Last Imarsat transmission at 12:11 UTC/8:11 MYT
            Did he really say 8:11?...so the plane was flying for 8 hours???

Comment

• I watched the feed as best I could, given the intermittent streaming.

The spokesperson struck me as sad and humbled, like someone who has come to accept an unpleasant truth. He spoke a lot more about the necessity of other countries to help in the investigation. Not really much new info, since these press conferences always lag behind the reports that are out there.

At this point, the investigation has taken on a new dimension. Along with the search for the plane, and the further narrowing of the search area, there is now a huge operation underway to look into the backgrounds of all on board. This will be a major undertaking, but I think it will yield results. If someone other than the pilots acquired the skill to pull this off, there will be signs. If it was a pilot, as I suspect, there will again be traces of intent.

Comment

• Kazakhstan/Turkmenistan
                AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Originally posted by orangehuggy
                the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

• Originally posted by opa-opa View Post
                  two possibilities were spoken on, Kazakhstan and Indian Ocean.

that's where they think the satellite pings were from.

next trips
                  USA/DXB August.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bryan View Post
                    The video was less that great quality for me ... did the PM say that the northern corridor extended all the way to Kazakhstan?
                    I think I heard that, too. It would seem that the search parameters have been extended to match the significant time that the plane was apparently flying. Really incredible - if this was an outside operation, what the hell was the target if there was one?

Comment

• If you were going to hijack a plane with a goal to crash it into the ocean, why wouldn't you nose the plane over as soon as you had control of the plane? What would be the purpose of trying to evade radar and flying several hours out into the middle of the ocean if you only wanted to put it in the water?

Were they deliberately trying to make sure the plane and debris would never be found? (Insurance payout or no evidence left to search for a different cause?)

Might the person flying this plane have had a different goal (9/11 style crash?) then have abandoned it for some reason and just turned the plane out to sea as an act of suicide?

Could this have been a practice run for a bigger plot? See if it was possible to seize control of a plane and effectively evade radar without raising suspicions or anyone scrambling jets or get intelligence agencies to tip their hand at how much they actually know.

Comment

• Originally posted by opa-opa View Post
                        yea ... I hope they can narrow the search area with that satellite data and radar returns, because that flight time opens up about 1/4 the surface of the planet, give or take a few percent o.O something like 6.5 hours of flight time after loss of contact. Crazy.

Comment

• Originally posted by DCC View Post
                          If you were going to hijack a plane with a goal to crash it into the ocean, why wouldn't you nose the plane over as soon as you had control of the plane? What would be the purpose of trying to evade radar and flying several hours out into the middle of the ocean if you only wanted to put it in the water?

Were they deliberately trying to make sure the plane and debris would never be found? (Insurance payout or no evidence left to search for a different cause?)

Might the person flying this plane have had a different goal (9/11 style crash?) then have abandoned it for some reason and just turned the plane out to sea as an act of suicide?

Could this have been a practice run for a bigger plot? See if it was possible to seize control of a plane and effectively evade radar without raising suspicions or anyone scrambling jets or get intelligence agencies to tip their hand at how much they actually know.
                          I'm particularly inclined to agree with your first two scenarios, first that this was an elaborate pilot suicide for personal reasons, or second that there was a grander plan (politically motivated) that didn't reach fruition. I don't think this was a dry run, unless the perp intended to give away the complete inventory of tactics.

Comment

• Three Stories...

Story 1 (My story of choice): pilot gets first officer out of the cockpit for some bogus reason, then climbs to 45000 knocking out everyone to insure success, then carries out remaining maneuvers to confound any investigation, finally setting down deep at sea as intact as possible, possibly even a successful ditching allowed to sink. Safeguards insurance.

Story 2 (My next guess): first officer somehow subdues pilot, then climbs beyond ceiling to take out everyone else. Perhaps had target in mind, perhaps not, but settled on ultimate fate as fulfillment of religious motive.

Story 3 (much less likely): probably more than one fundamentalist or politically motivated individual studied thoroughly in airplane systems carried out a mission much like in the scenario above, but had to get into cockpit, take out both pilots, and have the skills and knowledge to carry out subsequent maneuvers before ultimately going down...

Comment

• Again, pardon my ignorance, but what would happen to a pressurized aircraft and its passengers at 45,000 feet?

Also, my thoughts on why whomever took over the aircraft (if it was a suicide) might not immediately crash it into the ocean. If it wasn't one of the pilots, and maybe even if it was, they had complete control of a 777. Why not play with it for a while? Take it up really high, dive it back down. If you're planning on dying anyway, why not? Just my thoughts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fear_of_Flying View Post
                                Three Stories...
                                I don't see story 3 working. It had to come from one of the two in the cockpit. The timing was too perfect at the hand off of Air Traffic Controllers for it to be timed from outside the cockpit. I guess the timing could have been a coincidence, but it helped to confuse the situation for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X