Beechcraft Air Ambulance crash cought on tape in Iceland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beechcraft Air Ambulance crash cought on tape in Iceland

On the 5th of August 2013 a Beechcraft B200 Super King Air, operated as an Air Ambulance by Mýflug Air, crashed on a drag strip in Akureyri Iceland during a drag race.

It was returning to Akureyri Airport after flying a patient to Reykjavík.

3 men were aboard the plane, 2 of them died. A pilot and a fireman/rescue worker. The copilot survived.

On board camera of one of the cars participating in the race caught the crash on tape:
    An ambulance flight on approach to Akureyri Airport (AEY) in the North of Iceland requested to fly over the town. Approx. 2 min. after the request was grant...

No cause has been determined. The airline has released a statement saying that the plane was in good mechanical health and no maintenance was overdue.

The pilot requested a go around from Akureyri's airport which is about 4 km away from the crash site. He was the treasurer at the car club that owns the drag strip.

The copilot survived another air crash 12 years earlier to the date, August 5th 2001, while he was in training and a propeller engine lost power during flight.

Investigation is still underway.

Interesting. If I were the copilot, I'd buy a few lottery tickets. Anybody else flying with him? I'd catch another flight.

Arrow

Comment

Originally posted by Arrow View Post
      Interesting. If I were the copilot, I'd buy a few lottery tickets. Anybody else flying with him? I'd catch another flight.

Arrow
      Seriously - it's hard to believe that anyone survived this, much alone another one. Who is this guy praying to?
      Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Fortunately, the pilot was able to steer away from the bystanders. Very heroic.
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Working...
        X