Question re: Air Canada flight 90 and 91

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question re: Air Canada flight 90 and 91

I'm wondering about why Air Canada's flights to Sao Paulo have such a long layover between the Toronto flight arriving (at 11:00 local time, according to Flightaware) and departing (at 20:10 local time, again according to Flightaware).

Does the plane do anything in the meantime? (I can't see any evidence that it does). This seems puzzling -- can anyone shed any light on this?

It looks like quite a few North American airlines have similar schedules on routes to SBGL and SBGR. United arrives in SBGR around 10AM and departs back to ORD around 9PM, as well as American and Delta from JFK or ATL. Also US Airways has a similar schedule on its route from CLT to SBGL. I assume it's to accommodate connections in either Brazil and Canada/US since flights that arrive early in Canada/US can connect passengers with morning flights around Canada/US. The same goes for the flights arriving just before noon in either SBGR or SBGL.

Comment

Yes, the aircraft sits in GRU for the day. Air Canada did have maintenance performed on the aircraft while it waited for the departure.
      Flying is the second greatest thrill known to man. Landing is first.

Comment

It's a 10.5 hr flight time between Toronto and Sao Paulo. With a one hour time difference the arrival times at each end would fit in nicely for onward connections internally and internationally. Leaving Sao Paulo back to Toronto after just a couple of hours would mean a late evening arrival in Toronto and therefore require a long stopover while waiting for morning connections.
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Working...
        X