Long Beach Airport crash.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Beach Airport crash.

Beechcraft King Air 200, registered N849BM and owned by a California property developer. Declared an emergency after takeoff from LGB en route for Salt Lake City, and attempted to return; crashed on landing.

Long Beach fire department has confirmed five dead.

“The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Tail number: N849BM
    5 people confirmed dead.
    Looks like he got some emergency during the take off, and the aircraft veered to the right, looks like a typical tire blow up to me. Lets wait for the FAA/NTSB investigation.

Here is another video:
    A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

wow! I live right next to this airport! How did I not hear about this earlier!!! This is really tragic.

-Rene

Comment

Like Concorde?

[quote=AVION1;573885]Tail number: N849BM
        5 people confirmed dead.
        Looks like he got some emergency during the take off, and the aircraft veered to the right, looks like a typical tire blow up to me. Lets wait for the FAA/NTSB investigation.

Do you mean it could have been like Concorde, where a piece of rubber from the blow-out penetrated a fuel tank?

I don't intend this as a criticism but can't help remembering the books I've read by pilots about their early training, people like Captain Trubshaw, where they all say if something goes wrong, either a power failure takeoff or some other critical incident, don't try to get back to the runway, you will stall into the ground etc. Maybe that's irrelevant here, but the phrase turned or turning back was used by reporters. Maybe, as you say, the aircraft veered to the right without control input and so people conclude the pilot was trying to get back.

Comment

It depends on how fast you are going (V speeds), regarding commitment to take off.

The rule is essentially, establish a positive rate of climb and stable, that is fly the airplane. Now if you have a single engine the training SOP is never try to return to the airport. However, I had been taught a round or "Navy" turn back to the runway. If you try to "box" downwind, base and final, you are not going to make it.

Note that the article indicates that he was in a ball of flames when he was taking off and trying to return. This doesn't sound correct.
          Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

Working...
          X