Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual Attitude Recovery

Interesting...

Audio and video restored versions of this video:Part One: https://youtu.be/hs5TYYlIneoPart Two: https://youtu.be/kcP-7ljNR7MAn American Airlines Advanced Air...
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

More life saving words of wisdom from the originator of "Children of the Magenta"

On his eventual obituary on that sad day when aviation loses him we will see written the words.....

"Click Click......Click Click, autopilot off, autothrottle off"
    Last edited by brianw999; 2015-01-07, 18:59.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
      "Click Click......Click Click, autopilot off, autothrottle off"
      ...regardless of type.
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Beautiful.

I think that this "abnormal attitude recovery" session is part of the same course than the "child of the magenta" one. All part of the "Advanced maneuvering" training.

This probably included stall recovery, windshear escape, CFIT escape...

I would love to see them (especially, who guesses?... Stalls!!!, since it was done before the procedural changes of a few years ago).

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Here's a couple more...

If American Airlines can guarantee that this guy will fly me then I'll put up with rubbish cabin service and start flying them.
          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
            I would love to see them (especially, who guesses?... Stalls!!!, since it was done before the procedural changes of a few years ago).
            Dude...would you just focus on having decent airspeed and attitude control and the rule of thumb to NOT pull up relentlessly when slow?

You really should almost never ever have the stall warning go off inadvertently, let alone actually stall the thing.

Comment

apparently, captain genius retired right after AA587 went down in ny and they stopped instructing his AAMP course which involved using the rudder...

Comment

Wow, Tee Vee, talk about a "stop and think moment"...

Nevertheless, I still have my prejudices that some 1" pedal depressions in response to yaw aren't that stupid of a thing to do, nor do I believe that the pilot was thinking/intending to be slapping the rudder back and forth to it's stops.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                  Wow, Tee Vee, talk about a "stop and think moment"...

Nevertheless, I still have my prejudices that some 1" pedal depressions in response to yaw aren't that stupid of a thing to do, nor do I believe that the pilot was thinking/intending to be slapping the rudder back and forth to it's stops.
                  The pilot was also having his prejudices that he was flying a big Cessna. You don't do rudder reversals on an A300 and it doesn't get into unusual attitudes from wake turbulence. Your headspace has to be on type...

Comment

well, if you watch his entire video, he was VERY clear about slow, steady pedal movements and the need to make adjustments and wait several seconds to feel the result.

i don't remember the exact details of 587 but i seem to recall there were several rapid full deflections...

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                      Here's a couple more...

If American Airlines can guarantee that this guy will fly me then I'll put up with rubbish cabin service and start flying them.
                      Thank you. I had never heard of Delta Airlines flight 1080. (33:25 second link)

Amazing what a pilot can do with airmanship without following (bun neither violating) procedures.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                        i don't remember the exact details of 587 but i seem to recall there were several rapid full deflections...
                        You got the "big picture".

If you go full left and then suddenly go full right, (or vice versa) cheap composite tails can break...

(not that well-built metallic ones are necessarily designed to take that level of stress either)

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                          apparently, captain genius retired right after AA587 went down in ny and they stopped instructing his AAMP course which involved using the rudder...
                          He has plenty of apostles at AA. Whether or not that's a good thing, I won't comment.

Comment

the thing to point out here is that none of his instruction was for the newer airbuses. wonder what he would say....

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                              (not that well-built metallic ones are necessarily designed to take that level of stress either)
                              Fixed.

Comment

Working...
                              X