• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another 787 Fire this time at LHR

Ethiopian Airways. BBC coverage here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23294760
    Yet another AD.com convert!

Here we go again.

Before anyone has a clue what happened, the media will be in overdrive to declare the 787 a death trap and call for its grounding, with some saying for good.

Comment

Bloody hell! Looks very bad ... scorch marks at top of cabin on left side, where fire burned through.

Boeing has people on site assessing damage.

Aircraft is 'AOP.

Comment

Oh wow.....

Boeing really really needs to solve this issue. I wouldn't want to strap on a 787 yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadstick View Post
          Oh wow.....

Boeing really really needs to solve this issue. I wouldn't want to strap on a 787 yet.
          So you already know the cause?

Comment

Originally posted by B757300 View Post
            So you already know the cause?
            Nope, I don't. I'll admit to jumping the gun.

Comment

I agree, the media will be all over this and calling for more groundings. Lets hope this is some other issue that can be resolved easily.

Comment

Looks like the fire damage is at the top of the fuselage, not around the cargo hold/battery compartment like last time.

Not that it means much @ this point, but perhaps the fire did not start down below.

Comment

Burn marks on the top - could be the end for that hull. An it is likely to be another fault in the electrical system, this is not good. I hope they find a very obvious reason.

Comment

Could be something as simple as someone left something on in the galley for hours on end, or a short in the galley. A bad .50 cent wire is all it takes sometime.

And I would think, since the 787 is assembled in sections, that they could remove the back section and replace it. I assume it is under warranty.

Comment

That area is right above the crew rest area. Nobody on board at the time - A/C arrived this morning and was waiting for its return to ADD this evening.
                      Yet another AD.com convert!

Comment

Firefighting personnel are attending an Ethiopian Boeing 787-8 at London Heathrow after an alert which has led to suspension of flights

Could it be APU related?

ET-AOP is mentioned as the affected aircraft.
                        "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

Originally posted by Alessandro View Post
                          http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...-alert-388243/
                          Could it be APU related?
                          Aviation website for aircraft and airline information (flight, photo, travel, fleet listing, production list of Airbus Boeing Douglas Embraer Dash, ATR, Sukhoi, Saab...), plane photos for planespotters, flightlog database, aviation news, aviation store.

ET-AOP is mentioned as the affected aircraft.
                          It shouldn't be...the apu is farther back and should be surrounded by a shroud that will prevent fire from spreading to other sections of the aircraft and damaging the structure.
                          The "keep my tail out of trouble" disclaimer: Though I work in the airline industry, anything I post on here is my own speculation or opinion. Nothing I post is to be construed as "official" information from any air carrier or any other entity.

Comment

"Unrelated to the Ethiopian Boeing 787 fire at Heathrow, a Thomson Airways Dreamliner [Flight 126] heading to Standford, FL from Manchester had to turn back due to a technical issue. All the passengers were able to return safely and officials are inspecting the cause of the issue. The airline stated, “Thomson Airways can confirm that flight TOM126 travelling from Manchester to Sanford, Florida experienced a technical issue and the aircraft returned to Manchester Airport, as a precautionary measure."

http://www.airlinereporter.com/2013/...oses-heathrow/
                            Whatever the cause of this fire, all these issues with a brand new state of the art airplane do not bode well for Boeing...

Comment

Interesting to note that this incident at Heathrow involved the same 787 that made the first commercial flight after the grounding was lifted. Fingers crossed this is just a coincidence!

Comment

Working...
                              X