Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canon 5Diii + 100-400L black corners in pix

Hi Folks,
    I've noticed shadows/black corners appearing on photos from my Canon 5Diii & Canon 100-400L lens...especially on bright sunny days.
    With lens hood on or off, focal length used, seems to make no difference.

Any body else had same issue or got a solution?

Many thanks
    Dave

Example:
    airplane, flying, aircraft, aviation, flight, aeroplane, oma, boeing, 737, wy, b737, 737800, b737800, omanair, b738w, b737800w, obbi, a4obe, jaffapix, davejefferys

That is vignetting.

Comment

Not as bad as I was expecting from your post. What aperture was this shot at ?
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

I have the same issue using a 5D III. The full frame sensor will show up any Vignetting which is less likely to be picked up using a cropped sensor. I find that lens profile correction in Camera Raw is pretty good at sorting the problem.

The best solution is new lenses, if you have deep enough pockets.

Comment

Happens on the 6D too with a 100-400.....it's the nature of the game with full frame sensors. Things are much improved when I use a 70-200 + 1.4x converter although that doesn't give you 400mm.

Comment

I use a proper camera (Nikon !! ). Only kidding, Sorry...blame Gerardo !

....but I thought the excellent Canon 100-400L was designed for full frame use ?

....and then I read this excellent review....
              INTRODUCTION At the time of writing, the Canon EF 100-400 L F4.5-5.6 is one of the most popular of Canon's L-series zoom telephoto lenses. It is also one of the older L-series lenses in Canon's line-up, having been introduced around 1998.  There have been persistent rumours that it will soon be replaced, but in it's
            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

The photo was shot at f/7.1. As mentioned above, using a FF sensor will ALWAYS bring you vignetting, no matter what lenses you are going to use. Some lenses have less, some more vignetting.

However, you can reduce vignetting. The trick is to use smaller apertures. Try f/8.0 or smaller (i.e. higher number). Then, use the lens correction on your Canon or Adobe photo editor and it will be almost invisible.
              My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
                Then, use the lens correction on your Canon or Adobe photo editor and it will be almost invisible.
                This. I wouldn't particularly call vignetting an issue, especially when shooting RAW as it is easily corrected automatically any time you open a RAW file in ACR (or any other RAW programme).

Comment

Working...
                X