Salted windshield...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salted windshield...

That's certainly a strange one, though apparently not uncommon in the region!

Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

"the Commander informed Cork Approach that “the problem I have is that I can’t see out the windscreen.” She reported that it looked like there was a weather cell (visible on the weather radar) ten miles straight ahead and she requested that she could maintain the current heading (330°) and that “possibly the rain in that cell might help clear it…”. The Commander continued that they would go to the edge of the cell and hope that the rain would wash the contamination off because at that time they could see nothing. ATC informed EI-REL of a similar situation in Shannon a couple of weeks earlier in high winds which turned out to be a film of sea salt on the windscreen. The Commander responded that the same thing had happened to a company aircraft that evening but that obviously it wasn’t as bad for them. She had learned this in the earlier telephone communication with the engineering staff."

...did some extra 'electrochemisty' take place with that super thin metal plating that's on windshields?

...I also recall some small 'airport' on the edge of a beach where you could see the salt-laden fog and a row of tied down Cessnas.

Windshields were fine, but the potential for long-term metal corrosion was disturbing.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Working...
    X