Germanwings A320 on BCN-DUS flight crash near Nice, France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slightly off topic....

Seeing the debris of this plane and of others where in other instances they dont know why it crashed, they often try and reconstruct the debris together by taking the remains of the plane and trying to piece it together it in a hanger. What with 100's of not 1000's of different pieces of fuselage it can be tricky (as in TWA800)

Would it not be a good idea that when constructing these planes, the inside of a fuselage is divided into 10 sections and each section is painted in different colours? This would make piecing together the remains of any other disaster so much quicker and easier when putting together a massive jigsaw like this?

just saying....

Comment

• Originally posted by pacoperez View Post
      Hi Tatanka, something should be wrong in that table because look at the resulting chart. I see that times are not consecutive.
      I found this data on flightradar24.com

Comment

• Originally posted by elaw View Post
        It's quite possible that improvements can be made, but no such process is infallible.

Some homicidal maniacs are easy to identify (before they commit a homicidal act), others can be identified with intense scrutiny, and others simply cannot. One such person comes to mind that in 1933 managed to convince millions of people that he was sane...
        That was a genocidal maniac, and I think the crazy was quite obvious.

Improvements can definitely be made. They should be paid for by the public, not the airlines. I agree that mental health issues on this level are often difficult to recognize but the science of psychology has come a long way in recognizing signs of illness such as subtle indications of mental stress, ideological obsession and social isolation. Probably the biggest hurdle is pride and tradition... and the unions. Nobody wants to be psychologically scrutinized but clearly we live in an age where being an airline pilot must require you to give up a certain level of privacy.

Comment

• Keeping in mind that all information we have is preliminary.
          Human factors are very complex. Suiciders may not reveal their intentions at any time prior to the event. A pilot/co-pilot expressing known suicidal tendencies should not leave medical care and enter the cockpit.
          Maybe, enforcing the presence of a third FC member in the cockpit during the flight, together with current door security mechanisms may help in many cases. With those procedures, the cockpit would not be left with only one FC member alone.
          Remember the “old times” when we have the Flight Engineer together with the pilot and co-pilot? Very difficult to implement today due to the current cockpit design.

Comment

• List of suicide crashes with civilian airplanes,
            Aviation Safety Network: Aviation Safety Network: Databases containing descriptions of over 11000 airliner write-offs, hijackings and military aircraft accidents.
            "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

• seems he was 28....joined germanwings from training and had 630 hours flying....assume thats service flying..not inc training (i have no idea how much they do)
              this is beyond horrific.

Comment

• Am I the only one who finds this all astonishingly fast?

How quickly can you be sure to exactly know what really happened from an audio recording?

Does "breathing until impact" really mean he was conscious and calm?

Does "door opens and closes" really ensure that one pilot, and moreover in particular the captain went outside?

Moreover is "knocking at the door" the normal entry procedure? The net is full of videos showing something clearly different about keypads and buzzers. Is a buzzer also heard on the recording?

I always see the danger that you can easily find a scenario that fits all the available evidence, but it's difficult to be sure that it's the only possible scenario.

Comment

• Originally posted by Observer View Post
                  Remember the “old times” when we have the Flight Engineer together with the pilot and co-pilot? Very difficult to implement today due to the current cockpit design.
                  Economics will decide. Given the extremely unusual nature of the incident type, it's an awful lot cheaper to plop a FA in the spare seat for the time required than to constantly have a 3rd flight deck crew member (not to mention the reduction in paying seats)

Arrow

Comment

• Andreas Guenter Lubitz

Member of the 'prestigious' FAA Airmen Certification Database.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
                      That was a genocidal maniac, and I think the crazy was quite obvious.
                      The problem was that so many others were crazy as well - a phenomenon that we are seeing again today to some extent. The Nazi-government was full of conspiracy theory followers and is a good demonstration of what happens when you give such people sufficient power. We're seeing this again now, and not only in North Korea and Russia. In fact, it could even show up in this particular case.

Comment

• Originally posted by mfeldt View Post
                        Apparently you're right:
                        Hello,
                        What a tragic and terrrible act.
                        Thanks for your informations all.
                        @@++
                        Last edited by brianw999; 2015-03-26, 13:48.

Comment

• Originally posted by andyb99 View Post
                          seems he was 28....joined germanwings from training and had 630 hours flying....assume thats service flying..not inc training (i have no idea how much they do)
                          this is beyond horrific.
                          Is really the suicide the only scenario that fits here? Is it unlikely that that person suffered some kind of attack that paralysed him but not killed him? (Because they could hear a breath all the time, isn't it?). I don't know, an aneurysm? An ictus?.....

Comment

• Originally posted by andyb99 View Post
                            seems he was 28....joined germanwings from training and had 630 hours flying....assume thats service flying..not inc training (i have no idea how much they do)
                            this is beyond horrific.
                            That's not a lot of hours to be in an airliner...

One of those super geniuses that loses it?
                            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• Originally posted by mfeldt View Post
                              Am I the only one who finds this all astonishingly fast?

How quickly can you be sure to exactly know what really happened from an audio recording?
                              If the recording was clear, a preliminary response that will be essentially faithful to the final report isn't difficult.

Originally posted by mfeldt View Post
                              Does "breathing until impact" really mean he was conscious and calm?
                              Calm? That's a relative term. "In control" might be more accurate. As to conscious, had there been a hull breach that dropped air pressure, there would've been the requisite alarms picked up on the CVR. That there's no mention precludes that as a likely possibility. If you're suggesting he had a seizure, fatal heart attack, etc., how did the flight deck door come to be dead-bolted? Pretty unlikely.

Does "door opens and closes" really ensure that one pilot, and moreover in particular the captain went outside?
                              Probably something in particular said (not to mention which cockpit mic had the strongest pick-up) would help make that an easy enough determination. If you're suggesting that the flight crew conspired between them to admit a third person to the flight deck in order to crash the plane, isn't that making things needlessly difficult?

Moreover is "knocking at the door" the normal entry procedure? The net is full of videos showing something clearly different about keypads and buzzers. Is a buzzer also heard on the recording?
                              Parlour-talking here but presumably the captain keyed-in the entry code & attempted to open the door. When that didn't work, wouldn't you expect him to knock assuming (hoping) that the FO is playing some career-limiting practical joke?

I always see the danger that you can easily find a scenario that fits all the available evidence, but it's difficult to be sure that it's the only possible scenario.
                              Occam's Razor. The 9/11 conspiracy world is full of Rube Goldbergish explanations to attempt to account for inconvenient truths.

Arrow

Comment

Working...
                              X