Ryanair considering the A350, B787 for transantlatic flights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryanair considering the A350, B787 for transantlatic flights

Ryanair (FR, Dublin International) is studying both the Airbus (AIB, Toulouse Blagnac) A350 and the Boeing (BOE, Washington National) B787 for use on its proposed transatlantic services. Ryanair's chief marketing officer, Kenny Jacobs, told The Sunday Times that the Irish LCC had now come up with a suitable model for its proposed North American flights but launching had been limited owing to a lack of available, suitable aircraft. “We’ve got a model that we know can work. We need to get aircraft, so we can talk to Boeing and Airbus, and we can also see if someone has some distressed inventory [we can take sooner] to make our transatlantic plan a reality," Jacobs said. Among the potential city pairings to be targetted are: Dublin International, London Stansted and Milan with Newark, New York JFK and Boston. Jacobs added that the flights would not feature an all-economy lay-out as per Ryanair's traditional approach, but will instead feature separate “premium” seating. Concerning Ryanair's ongoing interest in Cyprus Airways (1947) (Larnaca), Jacobs stated the airline had submitted a non-binding offer on Friday as a result of a positive meeting between Ryanair officials and Cypriot bureaucrats last week. In the short-term however, a period of due diligence would be required before a binding offer was possible, he said.

Ryanair (FR, Dublin Int'l) is studying both the Airbus Industrie (AIB, Toulouse Blagnac) A350 and the Boeing (BOE, Chicago O'Hare) B787 for use on its proposed transatlantic services. Ryanair's chief marketing officer, Kenny Jacobs, told The Sunday Times that the Irish LCC had now come up with a suitable model for its proposed North American flights but launching had been limited owing to a lack of available, suitable aircraft.

“We’ve got a model that we know can work. We need to get aircraft, so we can talk to Boeing and Airbus, and we can also see if someone has some distressed inventory [we can take sooner] to make our transatlantic plan a reality," Jacobs said.

Among the potential city pairings to be targetted are: Dublin Int'l, London Stansted and Milan with Newark, New York JFK and Boston.

Jacobs added that the flights would not feature an all-economy lay-out as per Ryanair's traditional approach, but will instead feature separate “premium” seating.

Concerning Ryanair's ongoing interest in Cyprus Airways (CY, Larnaca), Jacobs stated the airline had submitted a non-binding offer on Friday as a result of a positive meeting between Ryanair officials and Cypriot bureaucrats last week. In the short-term however, a period of due diligence would be required before a binding offer was possible, he said.
    “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Originally posted by ErwinS View Post
    http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/ne...tlatic-flights

“We’ve got a model that we know can work. We need to get aircraft, so we can talk to Boeing and Airbus

sure, the model is seating for 400 in a one class configuration. toilets will cost $2 per visit. toilet paper is extra. no food or water will be served. carry-on bags permitted at a cost of $75 each.

Comment

Ok, so this is, what I believe to be yet another time in which Ryanair is bluffing. Here's why...

http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/ne...tlatic-flights

“We’ve got a model that we know can work. We need to get aircraft, so we can talk to Boeing and Airbus, and we can also see if someone has some distressed inventory [we can take sooner] to make our transatlantic plan a reality," Jacobs said.
      Distressed Inventory? The 787s are brand-spanking-new and many of their new homes love the aircraft. No one is so angry with Boeing that despite the delays (and other issues) that they have cancelled their orders. Yes, some took discounts, but no one is now coming around trying to dump their inventories. The A350 has not even had it's EIS yet. What 'distressed inventories' are they hoping to pick up on? Best case scenario, someone cancels an order - it's not as if the order will be as massive as Ryanair needs it to be in order to make a fleet work on the scale that they would need to operate effectively as an LCC, and that's overlooking the physical reality that an un-built air frame is not much of a liability.

This heightens my suspicion that someone is hoping to blow smoke. If they were serious about launching an airline, and going after 'distressed inventory' they would be speaking to EADS about using A340s, or going after older 777s and A330s. Going after new aircraft and hoping for bargain basement prices is hogwash.

Among the potential city pairings to be targetted are: Dublin Int'l, London Stansted and Milan with Newark, New York JFK and Boston.
      Best of luck getting the rights to those U.S. cities. EWR, and JFK are going to be, at best, up hill climbs. Forget getting the slots at JFK, and EWR is not going to be easy with UA likely to mount a hefty defense. BOS is perhaps the most likely of the three, but even then, you will have local carriers up in arms and further - competition. Those prices are going to have to be razor sharp.

Jacobs added that the flights would not feature an all-economy lay-out as per Ryanair's traditional approach, but will instead feature separate “premium” seating.
      So, going to offer then - basically the same services that other carriers on the same routes will also offer. Again, the prices are going to have to be set very well.
      Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

By distressed inventory I assume they are thinking 767 or 777 as an interim aircraft.

But can they fly direct USA to European airports without stopping in Ireland?

Comment

[sarcasm]Maybe Ryanair will take the 12 or so early-built Dreamliners that no one else wants at deep discounts (and sitting on the Boeing ramp), and pile in the seats. That would fit the "distressed inventory" description quite well![/sarcasm]

Comment

Most seem to think that it is an order for the 737MAX, but I guess we'll see tomorrow.

Boeing Airplanes ‏@BoeingAirplanes 4h

We’re excited to make an announcement with @Ryanair tomorrow on the future of its fleet. Details on Monday. #Boeing

Comment

Originally posted by Highkeas View Post
              But can they fly direct USA to European airports without stopping in Ireland?
              US-Ireland flights are covered by the EU bilateral... meaning that an Irish carrier can fly from any point in the EU to any point in the USA.
              Us, lighting a living horse on fire:
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH2_Q3oJPeU

Check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
                Best of luck getting the rights to those U.S. cities. EWR, and JFK are going to be, at best, up hill climbs. Forget getting the slots at JFK, and EWR is not going to be easy with UA likely to mount a hefty defense. BOS is perhaps the most likely of the three, but even then, you will have local carriers up in arms and further - competition. Those prices are going to have to be razor sharp.

So, going to offer then - basically the same services that other carriers on the same routes will also offer. Again, the prices are going to have to be set very well.
                Norwegian has basically started exactly this kind of service to the US already with 787s and it didn't seem very difficult for them to procure the slots. If they're already ordering the aircraft, they must either have the slots or have a pretty good plan for getting them.

Comment

Originally posted by Leftseat86 View Post
                  Norwegian has basically started exactly this kind of service to the US already with 787s and it didn't seem very difficult for them to procure the slots. If they're already ordering the aircraft, they must either have the slots or have a pretty good plan for getting them.
                  Thanks for the news; I had not heard that they had started flying US-UK routes. Next time I fly to the UK I shall certainly check out an itinerary using them in combination with a Jet Blue flight.

Comment

Sidebar: I love how this article seems to think that Boeing has anything to do with O'Hare airport....
                    Us, lighting a living horse on fire:
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH2_Q3oJPeU

Check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by Leftseat86 View Post
                      At present, they are operating to:

MCO, OAK, JFK, LAX, FLL as Norweigan Long Haul.

MCO is not too difficult to get slots to.

OAK is being served seasonally (and there are other, more difficultly slot restricted airports in the area).

FLL is an intelligent move to capture the Southern Florida market as attempting to tackle MIA would have been more expensive and competition will come from AA.

JFK yes, this is the caveat. However, it may be worth the investment here. Slots were not easy to come by, and there were early teething problems that not only annoyed passengers, but also authorities at JFK as evidenced;

Stemningen blant Norwegian-passasjerene er amper og fortvilet. Mer enn 1500 flyreisende er rammet av forsinkelser. De mest uheldige har vært «Kjos-fast» i 30 timer.

Fagforeningstoppen Roger Handeland i Norwegian er innkalt til oppsigelsessamtale etter et intervju han ga i Finansavisen om flymodellen Dreamliner i september.

LAX was also a worthy investment, for there can be profit made there as well, despite the high costs of landing/operating fees.

That said, let's consider that they too are an airline, in it for profit.

Taking a look for comparative measure;

Booking JFK-CPH (departing 09-30-2014 with a return of 10-08-2014);

JFK-AMS-CPH (on KLM), and CPH-CDG-JFK (on AF) will run me $772.20 USD (taxes included).

JFK-OSL-CPH and CPH-JFK (non-stop!) on (on Norewigan Long Haul) will run me $1077.20 for comparable services (meal and luggage).

So, they are not always the cheapest, and they are not expected to be as they are for profit.

Apart from that, there is the matter of their unionization issues and staffing which have been noticed by many here in the U.S.

In keeping with the original topic I think that it is important to also understand that once these RyanAir passengers arrive to the U.S., unless significantly supported by interline and codesharing partnerships they are going to be solely O&D traffic. They are going to need to make friends.

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
                        In keeping with the original topic I think that it is important to also understand that once these RyanAir passengers arrive to the U.S., unless significantly supported by interline and codesharing partnerships they are going to be solely O&D traffic. They are going to need to make friends.
                        they should form a shit-lliance with spirit!

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                          they should form a shit-lliance with spirit!
                          OMG! Can you imagine the taglines?
                          "Now disappointing passengers - on both sides of the pond,".
                          "Tragically transatlantic".
                          "You gonna pay for that?".
                          "No legroom, no recline, no food, no service. So, no problems, ok?".

Comment

Originally posted by Highkeas View Post
                            Thanks for the news; I had not heard that they had started flying US-UK routes. Next time I fly to the UK I shall certainly check out an itinerary using them in combination with a Jet Blue flight.
                            Incredibly cheap fares from LAX to LGW / OSL

Comment

Working...
                            X