Saab 340 'blown off runway' during takeoff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saab 340 'blown off runway' during takeoff

A small passenger plane has been apparently blown off the runway by a strong gust during takeoff from a Scottish island heading to the mainland. 2 minor injuries, but luckily nothing more serious.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...lands-30655967

Thank God the injuries were but just a mere minimum.

I can also hear Gabe's next class:

"Ok kids, if the rudder is at the stops right after take off, you need; A) a bigger size shoe for that foot .. B) a bigger shoe for the other foot .. C) neither, you are in excess of the crosswind limits of the aircraft?

Is there an acceptable answer for this because I sure can't think of one? Not a snooty question because there but for "I learned about flying from that", I (at the prodding of an instructor), made a similar error. The "I learned" is from a monthly column in Flying Magazine", where folks share mistakes, hopefully preventing others from the same screw ups.
    Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

Well - there is of course a certified crosswind limit for every aircraft. But that is not to say that the crew of this Loganair (Flybe franchise) flight exceeded it.

I found these two links with info on the crosswind capability of the Saab 340:

However... this does not mean that a takeoff run at a 34kts crosswind is a piece of cake for the crew while at 36kts the flight is headed for disaster. I'd say it's also a question of the crew's skill and luck...

Comment

Veering off runway is not an unusual occurrence (in aviation terms).

It could be due to a number of factors. Engine failure, brake failure, tire failure, crosswinds, all of them combined or not with poor pilot performance.

There are some cases that the pilot just can't prevent the plane from veering off runway, no matter how skilled or how perfectly he applies the correct technique in a given situation.

Yes, the cases where the pilot could have done more are more frequent.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Kesternich View Post
          Well - there is of course a certified crosswind limit for every aircraft.
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
            Indeed and Concur!

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
            --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Working...
            X