Safety in SE Asia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety in SE Asia

When I read the public details for this flight, one of the first thoughts was "This is like AF447 in the sense of a crash happening under conditions that cannot be in any way unique". And so I'm wondering if this is like regional carriers and the situation leading up to the Buffalo crash where we found out things like pilots "sleeping" in bizarre places due to work conditions. It just makes me wonder if the details of operation of SE Asian airlines are in a process of deterioration, and a series of mishaps in very few months are like the symptoms of a sick industry. I know in recent years there has been a lot of companies jumping into international travel, and the results could be some sort of cutting of corners that aren't know till tragedies happen. Sort of like when Air Alaska was writing up false maintenance documents. When easy money permits companies to be born in the hands of inexperienced owners (something that happens in every industry), the price being paid isn't ever obvious at first. There might even be connivance with people in the local governments.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if down the line a "story behind the story" will come out that shows the public, even the industry watchers, don't know all that is going on.

my sister has lived in and traveled throughout se asia for the past 4 years. there are carriers she and my brother in law categorically refuse to step foot on at ANY price. i flew on Tiger in december and had an ok experience aside from microscopic seat space in both directions. i did notice that they failed to turn the seatbelt sign on while we flew through moderate turbulence for about 20 min on my outbound and 15 min on return. it was rough enough to make the fa's sit down and stop service.

i doubt se asian carriers are any more likely to cut corners than any other. however, since since some are govt owned or controlled, it makes you wonder if the govt would rat themselves out.

Comment

SE Asia has, possibly, more challenging terrain and weather than Europe or N. America. It also has an explosive growth in traffic and, again because of terrain and historical investment in infrastructure, more difficult for ground level transportation to compete.

Hence, all other factors being equal, its going to have an increasing share of the bent aeroplane market. One needs to discount this before jumping to conclusions. Also whether 'low-cost' operators are inherently more dangerous. The European experience imho doesn't support this. Indeed the major recent SE Asia disasters have been mostly involved what we would call legacy operators.

Comment

Originally posted by EconomyClass View Post
        When I read the public details for this flight, one of the first thoughts was "This is like AF447
        Interesting that you start your post with that only to continue with an enumeration of things that have no resemblance to AF447.

It just makes me wonder if the details of operation of SE Asian airlines are in a process of deterioration, and a series of mishaps in very few months are like the symptoms of a sick industry.
        Care to list the series of mishaps in very few months that you are talking about?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Sure, there's differences from place to place.

Differences in environments.
          Differences in "the job".
          Differences in economies.
          Differences in the workers.
          Differences in the culture.

Statistically evident- Yeah sometimes it is.

Room for improvement- Yeah sure (in fact there's probably always room for improvement).

But, large, ingrained and possibly hidden problems???

Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Working...
          X