Hazard lights on high-rise confuse MD 83 pilots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hazard lights on high-rise confuse MD 83 pilots

I can see how the hazard lights on this high-rise actually look like approach lights for a runway. I guess when you're focused on landing a plane it's easy to confuse a pattern like this for lighting which somewhat resembles that of an approach lighting system (I think they're actually talking about these resembling PAPI). Still, there are clues which give away that one is actually approaching something else and not a runway-the multitude of lights surrounding the hazard lights in a haphazard pattern, the lack of runway edge lights and a guidance lighting system (series of bright lights which extend outwards from the runway edge).

Source: http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...or-runway.html

Doesnt even come close, As it doesnt really looks near to what a pilot are used to see while going on approach.
    Here's some shots from the DB to show you what a real runway lights should look like..
    [photoid=5638642]

[photoid=5823732]

[photoid=6066751]
    Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Wow, visibility must have been hellaciously bad if they confused two side-by-side red lights for an entire runway lighting...

Comment

I'll tell you what, they look remarkably like approach lights to me, and when you are in low visibility, at night, when there are lots of other bright lights around, it is extremely easy to get confused.

MAXPower, the photos you show are indeed approach light systems, however those pics make them look significantly brighter than they usually are, as they are usually turned down low so as not to "dazzle" you, and thats assuming they are turned on! Its also assuming that the runway has that form of approach light system.

One day I will show you photos from approach into JFK 31R, and you'll see how easily these pilots could confuse those lights at night!

Comment

Originally posted by MCM
          I'll tell you what, they look remarkably like approach lights to me, and when you are in low visibility, at night, when there are lots of other bright lights around, it is extremely easy to get confused.

MAXPower, the photos you show are indeed approach light systems, however those pics make them look significantly brighter than they usually are, as they are usually turned down low so as not to "dazzle" you, and thats assuming they are turned on! Its also assuming that the runway has that form of approach light system.

One day I will show you photos from approach into JFK 31R, and you'll see how easily these pilots could confuse those lights at night!
          but MCM, two guys with zero flight experience said you're wrong so you must be!

Comment

exactly! anyway i have about an hour of flight time and from my highly uneducated guess, the pilots very well could have been confused for a second but it's pretty obvious that it's a building because there's no runway behind it.

-Chris

Comment

Re:

Originally posted by screaming_emu
              Wasn't me, I actually admitted it I can see how it can be confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot
                Wasn't me, I actually admitted it I can see how it can be confusing.
                I know, it was the next two...

Comment

I know, it was the next two...
                  That was only my opinion and what I think it looked like. And the thumbnails were only brought up to clear up what it looks like from the cockpit's view point (Couldnt find any low visibility shots during approach though)...
                  Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Okay, so let's only allow experienced pilots to voice opinions on flight operations - might as well shut the fvcking forum down then :rolleyes: .

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
                      Okay, so let's only allow experienced pilots to voice opinions on flight operations - might as well shut the fvcking forum down then :rolleyes: .
                      LOL. Made my morning.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
                        Do I make posts claiming to know anything/everything about your job?

Comment

Do I make posts claiming to know anything/everything about your job?
                          No, but if you did I wouldn't act like a crybaby just because you don't have experience at that job.

Comment

My prick is bigger than all of yours......

Yes, those lights could be mistaken for approach lights. You'd be surprised how many things look like other things when you've been flying all day and are very tired.
                            Bite me Airways.....

Comment

Originally posted by LRJet Guy
                              My prick is bigger than all of yours......

Yes, those lights could be mistaken for approach lights. You'd be surprised how many things look like other things when you've been flying all day and are very tired.
                              Especially at night, there's all sorts of crazy illusions.

Comment

Working...
                              X