Manslaughter Charges Filed Against Airbus over AF447

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by guamainiac View Post
    There was also one when the tape was not removed after washing or something too.
    This one I remember. However, this one was more severe.
    They had the static ports covered, so they had neither speed, nor altitude, nor vertical speed.

Yet, after managing to do some things well, they made a number of errors that killed them: They relied on the altitude provided by the ATCs radar thinking that it was an independent and reliable source, when in fact it's provided by the on-board mode-C transponder which gets the info from an encoding altimeter which get's the pressure.... yes from the static ports covered with tapes. AND, they didn't use that radioaltimeter information that they had available which WAS a reliable and independent source.

I'm not blaming them. That situation is a thing for which they were not trained. But the plane could have been brought down safely.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by guamainiac View Post
      There was also one when the tape was not removed after washing or something too.
      That would be AeroPeru flight 603, although that incident involved a blockage of the static ports rather than the pitots.

Comment

I wonder if the legal system can appoint an investigating judge without a charge. It might be a necessary formality to get the French system into gear. Claims of justice or injustice might be premature here. Convictions or penalties might be unjust. But a judicial investigation doesn't seem unjust. Lots of people lost their family members. They deserve something out of the system.

Comment

Originally posted by EconomyClass View Post
          I wonder if the legal system can appoint an investigating judge without a charge. It might be a necessary formality to get the French system into gear. Claims of justice or injustice might be premature here. Convictions or penalties might be unjust. But a judicial investigation doesn't seem unjust. Lots of people lost their family members. They deserve something out of the system.
          The judge investigating is not the same than the judge judging.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
            The judge investigating is not the same than the judge judging.
            That's not what I heard in the Lady Diana case. Anyway, I don't think it matters that much. What matters is whether investigation precedes or follows the charge. Anybody bother to find out?

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
              Uh? Which one is that? I'd like read a bit about it.

Comment

Thanks,
                Evan gave the answer about two weeks ago (see previous posts), but thanks for the link anyway.

Comment

When in doubt of your airspeed and alt....kick up to full power and pull back to gain alt...then deal with the problems.
                  Life is good

Comment

Originally posted by AVIATIONFASCINATION View Post
                    When in doubt of your airspeed and alt....kick up to full power and pull back to gain alt...then deal with the problems.
                    Pull up... how much? When you are at cruise altitude it can be problematic because you don't have airspeed indication and you can be pulling up more than what your engines can sustain, then loose speed, stall, spin, crash burn and die.

Comment

Originally posted by AVIATIONFASCINATION View Post
                      I thought the pitch input was to ensure enough drag to safely fly at climb thrust without overspeed, not to gain altitude (although this would likely be the result). I've read nothing about full power though (or even MCT).

Comment

Sounds like a porpoise cycle in the making.
                        Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

Working...
                        X