This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrorists and missiles

So if we can limit the politics to a reasonable level, I think the topic is valid. Regardless of the country and particular leader it's a bad deal. It's also probably why you guys get run off from your photography excursions at airport fences. I feel safer knowing that security runs off weird folks at the fence.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Well just for the record: I am strongly against people shooting missiles at airliners.

But as for keeping people away from the airport fence, I have a tough time understanding its usefulness. For one thing, of all the people ever kicked out of planespotting areas, how many were in possession of missiles? Plus I'd think anyone thinking about shooting down an airplane, who has intelligence greater than that of a turnip, would simply select an area under the flightpath that's *not* right next to the airport fence, just to avoid attracting attention.
    Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

ATFS Crash, and it was in Jersey City that the first bombing of the WTC was launched. Oddly, I was in the building (a former Catholic school), hq of the "Blind Cleric" only a day or two before it happened.
      Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

Originally posted by ATFS_Crash
        The threat of terrorism is real. It's a shame that this forum is so uncivilized that often when it is pointed out that politics and terrorism often has connections to terrorism; that often forum members including moderators respond with unfounded attacks, irrational dishonest hateful rants and censorship. Many people can't handle the facts.
        Nobody denies the links between terrorism and politics.
        The problem is that you link it with one party and person in particular, which shows a ridiculous and unbearable bias under which any rational discussion becomes impossible. Very much like the conspiracy theories.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

It's a simple matter of relevance. If you look carefully at the top of this web page, you'll notice it says "Aviation Safety Discussion Forum". It doesn't say "Who's To Blame For What Forum" or "Political Rants Forum".

It's completely possible to discuss the aviation-safety aspects of terrorism (or the prevention of same) without bringing politics into the mix... if you choose to.
          Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

.............http://www.cbsnews.com/news/woman-fi...in-front-yard/
            I do not know details of this launcher but several missiles have disposable launchers. It used to be that these disposable launchers showed up in scrap yards and surplus stores. In California they have been turned in during gun buy-back events sponsored by police. I believe that people are not allowed to own them in California.
            I used to design missile launcher components for wire guided missiles and once fired they are not reusable.

Comment

The threat of terrorism is real. It's a shame that this forum is so uncivilized that often when it is pointed out that politics and terrorism often has connections to terrorism; that often forum members including moderators respond with unfounded attacks, irrational dishonest hateful rants and censorship. Many people can't handle the facts.

While plane spotters should be scrutinized by security, in most cases they should be allowed to pursue their hobby.

If someone has ground to air, anti-aircraft missiles, I'm skeptical that they would mount such attacks as close as legitimate plane spotter areas.

History tells us that terrorist attacks can come from small arms, RPG's, mortar fire, etc. As far as I'm concerned even deliberately shining lasers at aircraft to blind aircrew, is an act of terrorism. Most if not all of these attacks can happen well beyond the range of plane spotting areas.

As far as I'm concerned, if someone fires a gun or laser in the direction of an aircraft; that if no malicious intent can be proved, that it should be considered as an act of public endangerment.
              I moderated your last rant because it was a full on political attack with no relevance to this site. Coming from you, the bold underlined part above exemplifies the term "Pot calling the kettle black"

The CBS link referred to typifies how the press blow up (sic) a headline to scaremonger. The headline should have read... "Woman finds USED, NON REUSEABLE rocket launcher tube in her front yard". An even closer to the truth headline would possibly be "Woman finds plastic tube in front yard." ....but that wouldn't scare anyone would it ?
              If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                The headline should have read... "Woman finds USED, NON REUSEABLE rocket launcher tube in her front yard during the Bush administration".
                Sorry Brian, but if Mr Crash is going to get away with obscure political rants here, he is going to have to handle the facts.

Comment

As a matter of fact, cooperation between plane spotters/photographers and police should widely be increased.

Spotters spend so many hours around fences that they are actually extra security, they have a good idea of what's suspicious or not but also because any bad guy would probably not show anywhere around someone carrying big lenses camera...

Comment

Originally posted by Alex - Spot-This ! View Post
                    As a matter of fact, cooperation between plane spotters/photographers and police should widely be increased.

Spotters spend so many hours around fences that they are actually extra security, they have a good idea of what's suspicious or not but also because any bad guy would probably not show anywhere around someone carrying big lenses camera...
                    So a big phallic lens may not be a threat, but how do I know you aren't gathering information to do something naughty?
                    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                      (...) how do I know you aren't gathering information to do something naughty?
                      Well - to make sure nobody does anything wrong, you have to lock up the whole population in their rooms. Want to stop all crime? Get rid of all the people...
                      Seriously, terrorists operate a lot more covertly than a plane spotter. Why stand at the fence or in an open parking lot, when you can get the same information from the bushes a hundred meters away where nobody sees you?

Comment

I got moved on by a cop when I parked on the airfield side of the the road at the Heathrow 09L spotting site. I parked there because I didn't want to risk blocking the footpath on the other side of the road as there were a lot of cars parked there.
                        I asked why and was told that his Inspector didn't want cars on the verge on the airport side of the road. I did point out that was a public roadway the other side of the verge and that spotters / photographers were the best security that Heathrow has. At this point he gave a wry grin and agreed with me. I commented that his inspector might want to revise his ideas at which point I got another wry grin and the comment "Yes, but he's the inspector and I'm a constable, sorry but thats how it is".
                        He was very pleasant about it all, we shook hands and I moved to the other side of the road to partially block the pavement secure in the knowledge that the inspector couldn't give a shit about the locals who walk on that pavement !!

Note: If you do park on the path at the 09L site please make sure that you leave enough footpath space to allow access for pedestrians, disabled buggies, prams and pushchairs. The police turn a blind eye at the moment when we park there but if you take the piss you could be prosecuted for obstruction of a footpath (fineable) and the moving traffic offence of driving on a footpath. (fineable and up to 6 points on your licence. If you are a new driver in your first 2 years of being a licence holder you could lose your licence for up to 6 months).
                        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Doesn't aviation photography as a hobby belong to the pre-9/11 world? I would think so. I think in the aftermath, questions are raised about people photographing all sorts of things. Face it, the Islamists ruined things a bit for photographers.

Comment

Originally posted by EconomyClass View Post
                            Face it, the Islamists ruined things a bit for photographers.
                            Face it, by thinking like that, you give them full victory to their acts…

Seriously, anyone can get more info by standing behind a computer with Flightradar24 running than standing with a big camera next to an airport….

Comment

You make unfounded attacks, you go on insane ignorant political rants
                              You turned a post about the shoot down of a Ukraine Air Force IL-76 by russian separatists into a rant about Obama.

Please look in the mirror.

Comment

Working...
                              X