AA applies to launch DFW-PEK!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AA applies to launch DFW-PEK!

"By adding this new Beijing service, American will achieve a significant milestone in the development of its Asian network by offering nonstop service from Dallas/Fort Worth to five key markets in Asia – Beijing, Hong Kong, Seoul, Shanghai and Tokyo," said Andrew Nocella, chief marketing officer – American Airlines. "The pending addition of Beijing and recent additions of Shanghai and Hong Kong elevate Dallas/Fort Worth to one of the primary connecting hubs between Asia and destinations within the U.S. as well as Mexico, Central and South America."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/americ...160800431.html
    Very cool! Can't wait to see it up and running. Sad, though, that there is no One World partner based in PRC, to help connect passengers however I hope that it opens PEK up to other cities with AA (LAX, JFK or - with a great luck MIA). Currently, AA serves ORD-PEK.
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Good luck to them, they'll NEED it on this route.

ORD-PEK has long struggled, and no one's been able to make the PRC work for any other non-coastal gateway.

DL's failed miserably, twice, from an even more powerful hub. One that pulls from most of the same feed markets as DFW...
    Us, lighting a living horse on fire:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH2_Q3oJPeU

Check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by ConcordeBoy View Post
      Good luck to them, they'll NEED it on this route.

ORD-PEK has long struggled, and no one's been able to make the PRC work for any other non-coastal gateway.

DL's failed miserably, twice, from an even more powerful hub. One that pulls from most of the same feed markets as DFW...
      That's great to know!

I wonder though, how else AA could have tackled access to PRC without using their own metal? OneWorld members seem to co-operate only when someone comes screaming that they are on their last leg.

I guess DFW is a bit of a stretch. I mean, I always chuckle at the thought to QF's A380 heading to DFW, but I guess that AA provides enough connecting traffic to make it work. Let's hope that they can do the same here.

When it comes to PEK - is there an issue in getting slots? I can't imagine why if ORD is not doing well enough, they would add another city pair unless it were about maintaining slots in the hope that the market might mature in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
        I wonder though, how else AA could have tackled access to PRC without using their own metal?
        LAX, where they're trying to build their "Pacific gateway," but are temporarily limited for gates.

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
        When it comes to PEK - is there an issue in getting slots?
        Yes, but it's more like HND than LHR... because slots are available, but only during sh!tty times.

That's the main reason that AA's ORD-PEK suffers. It's scheduled to arrive PEK around 7:30pm; but due to the capital area's notorious ATC delays, it often arrives late and misses all but the latest cnnx on the Chinese side. It's got a bad reputation for that. Then, it's scheduled to depart PEK at 10am, getting only the earliest potential morning cnnx.

AA's tried multiple times to get the slots rearranged, and are continually turned down on the Chinese side.

IINM, they haven't announced a time for the DFW flight yet... I've yet to see such, in any of their publications.
        It's because they're no-doubt petitioning the Chinese to get better slots than what they were initially granted.
        Us, lighting a living horse on fire:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH2_Q3oJPeU

Check it out!

Comment

I just have to say Bravo! Brilliant analysis. I wish them luck, but as you have stated, it is going to be a tough fight.

Comment

Working...
          X