Southwest Airlines Nose Gear Collapse at LGA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southwest Airlines Nose Gear Collapse at LGA

We learn, from ex-Dallas City Council candidate Bobby Abtahi, that a Southwest Airlines jet has lost its nose wheels at New York’s LaGuardia Airport. According to Abtahi, the plane was pulling into a gate when it lost its wheels. It was arriving from Nashville.

According to reports via Twitter, passengers are exiting the aircraft via inflatable slides. And NBC is reporting that LaGuardia is currently closed per the Port Authority.

Abtahi saw the whole thing: “Crazy,” he says, simply, via Twitter, where he first posted the photo below and the Vine seen above. CNN already asked for permission to use the photo and video. Others followed suit.

We’ve got calls out to Southwest’s Love Field-based spokespersons.

I would suggest that it collapsed on landing (rather than not being able to deploy which is what the media is reporting) because it did not circle the airport to troubleshoot as would be expected if they did not get three greens.
    moving quickly in air

Comment

There are reports of an unsafe gear indication prior to touchdown.

Comment

Originally posted by orangehuggy View Post
        I would suggest that it collapsed on landing (rather than not being able to deploy which is what the media is reporting) because it did not circle the airport to troubleshoot as would be expected if they did not get three greens.
        http://flightaware.com/live/flight/S...855Z/KBNA/KLGA
        Or maybe nobody CHECKED to see if they had " three greens " .

Really , after the SFO incident nothing is beyond questioning.

Comment

You can listen to ATC before the landing and the pilots did not report any problems with the gear.

All the current news stories say the same. The previous report was typical media jumping the gun.

Comment

Originally posted by B757300 View Post
            We learn, from ex-Dallas City Council candidate Bobby Abtahi, that a Southwest Airlines jet has lost its nose wheels at New York’s LaGuardia Airport. According to Abtahi, the plane was pulling into a gate when it lost its wheels. It was arriving from Nashville.

According to reports via Twitter, passengers are exiting the aircraft via inflatable slides. And NBC is reporting that LaGuardia is currently closed per the Port Authority.

Abtahi saw the whole thing: “Crazy,” he says, simply, via Twitter, where he first posted the photo below and the Vine seen above. CNN already asked for permission to use the photo and video. Others followed suit.

We’ve got calls out to Southwest’s Love Field-based spokespersons.

yes, that clearly looks like it's pulling into a gate. how stupid are people?

Comment

Originally posted by orangehuggy View Post
              http://flightaware.com/live/flight/S...855Z/KBNA/KLGA
              Probably not locked properly with a false indication. That may be why there were some injuries also. It seemed with the flightpath it happened during landing with no warning from the crew.

Comment

Am I wrong in thinking this sort of event isn't terribly rare. I don't mean specifically a nose gear collapsing, but just all kinds of malfunctions that lead to a disorderly landing and emergency evacuation. The lack of fatal crashes is not an indication that planes always land smoothly. I'm a little foggy about the last Southwest incident, but I know it also involved some sort of serious plane damage.

Comment

Did some poking. SWA has five incidents since 2000. I wonder how that deviates from industry average.

Comment

Originally posted by EconomyClass View Post
                    Did some poking. SWA has five incidents since 2000. I wonder how that deviates from industry average.
                    Given Southwest's size and number of daily departures, it deviates the other way, ie. better than 'average'.

Comment

7-23-2013, the morning news is using the words "hard landing".

And now for a really tough question...

The passengers were told to sit tight for a few minutes and not evacuate while the cabin "filled" with smoke.

It would appear that this was right decision- everyone got out in what was probably? an orderly evacuation

...however, with the tendency for planes to burn up and have minimal evacuation times...If I was by a window exit, I might just pull it and to hell with what the crew wants.

And yes, my actions could result in injuries from a panicked evacuation...but weigh the risks. The Delta 727 engine stall at DFW, 13 folks died before they could evacuate.

...and yes, this is speculative, arm-chair, parlour talk about a crash with no deaths.
                      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                        7-23-2013, the morning news is using the words "hard landing".

And now for a really tough question...

The passengers were told to sit tight for a few minutes and not evacuate while the cabin "filled" with smoke.

It would appear that this was right decision- everyone got out in what was probably? an orderly evacuation

...however, with the tendency for planes to burn up and have minimal evacuation times...If I was by a window exit, I might just pull it and to hell with what the crew wants.

And yes, my actions could result in injuries from a panicked evacuation...but weigh the risks. The Delta 727 engine stall at DFW, 13 folks died before they could evacuate.

...and yes, this is speculative, arm-chair, parlour talk about a crash with no deaths.
                        Yes, but at SFO we've seen that being out among racing firetrucks spraying foam at a burning airplane can be dangerous as well.

Comment

Someone will blame the mechanics, once again...!
                          A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

Originally posted by AVION1 View Post
                            Someone will blame the mechanics, once again...!
                            Only if they caused the problem.

As the gear retracts forward, I wonder what failed to make it retract if it was a hard landing. Or maybe it broke off?

Decision to risk a rapid evac is trained for certain conditions. Taking that decision yourself could cost lives and be construed as panic rather than expedience.
                            Trouble is that the crew can have no better a view than a pax on the exit, so not sure what I would do in that situation... trying to save lives is a compelling reason.

Comment

Passenger video of landing and initial onboard reactions

Comment

Working...
                              X