Malaysia Airlines Loses Contact With 777 en Route to Beijing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
    Except that Airbus is based in Toulouse...
    Exactly.
    Airbus, Dassault, Aerospatiale and others

Comment

• Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
      sorta like why australia is in charge of the search... who knows and who cares.
      There is an international agreement where the international waters are divided in different search and rescue zones, and one country is in charge of each SAR zone. The whole wide area where the plane is believed to have gone down is within the Australia SAR zone.

The same reason why Brazil was in charge of the AF SAR in international waters in the Atlantic ocean.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Originally posted by sjwk View Post
        Just curious - is there any particular reason the part has had to be shipped to France to determine if it is part of this plane? Assuming, as has been said, there would have been serial number tags on it, could a researcher not have simply taken a photo or read the tags over the phone?
        And even if not, why France specifically? I could understand if it was an Airbus and being taken back to the factory for comparison.
        Reunion Island is a French region and part of France. So the shipment is from one region of France to another region of France.

It may be that the only flights out of Reunion are to mainland France or to nearby African countries.

Comment

• MH370: 'Plane seat' found washed up on Reunion Island three months ago

Nicolas Ferrier barely gave the blue seat a second glance. As he carried out his daily patrol of the wild shores of Reunion, picking up debris from the jet black sands and giant boulders, it seemed to him like just another piece of rubbish - a bus seat, perhaps, or a hang glider's chair.

"It wasn't until Wednesday that it hit me what it could have been," said Mr Ferrier, climbing off his BMX to speak to The Sunday Telegraph in the shade of a screwpine tree, overlooking the pounding surf. "It was probably part of that plane."

Mr Ferrier spotted the seat in early May. And yesterday he told his story for the first time - up until now, no one but his wife has known about the find.

It was, he explained, washed up on the mile-long stretch of coast which he monitors near Saint Andre, on the east of the Indian Ocean island. And last week the same stretch of coast was at the centre of the world's attention, after what is believed to be part of a Boeing 777 wing was washed ashore.

"I found a couple of suitcases too, around the same time, full of things," he said, almost in passing.

What did you do with them?

"I burnt them," he said, pointing to the pile of ashes lying on the boulders. "That's my job. I collect rubbish, and burn it.

"I could have found many things that belonged to the plane, and burnt them, without realising."

He also saw the wing which washed up on Wednesday - although in May, the barnacles encrusting its side were still alive. By the time it washed ashore again this week, the crustaceans were dead.

"Like the seat, I didn't know what it was.

"I sat on it. I was fishing for macabi (bonefish) and used it as a table. I really didn't pay it much attention - until I saw it on the news."

His story is backed up by that of another local woman, named only as Isabelle, who spotted the same object while walking on the beach in May, accompanied by her 10-year-old son.

"It was the beginning of the holidays - around May 10," she told local news website Zinfos974.com.

"I was walking with my son, Krishna. Then from a rock on which we were standing, he saw an object and shouted: 'Mum, that looks like the wing of a plane!'"

Krishna then jumped on what looked like a suitcase. He managed to prise it open, and then spotted another suitcase buried in the black sand.

But the waves were gathering height and so Isabelle ordered her son off the beach. They went home, and thought nothing of it until Wednesday.
          Cabin of 9M-MRO
          AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Originally posted by orangehuggy
          the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

• BREAKING NEWS: An aircraft door has been located washed up on Reunion Island

the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

• SkyNews now reporting that additional metal objects have been found

Comment

• One of the objects that was taken away by police

Source

Comment

• That twisted metallic part doesn't look like an airplane-style construction.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                    That twisted metallic part doesn't look like an airplane-style construction.
                    ???

You sure?

Not that I know any of this stuff intimately, but something from a beverage service cart? Overhead bin? Fancy "metallic" luggage?

Lots of possibilities and it looks aluminiumish, as any good, lightweight non cheap composite aircraft should be...
                    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                      You sure?
                      No. If I were I wold have said that it is not from an airplane, instead of saying that it doesn't look like from an airplane.

Some time ago, some one taught me something about absolute statements being almost always wrong.

Comment

No. If I were I wold have said that it is not from an airplane, instead of saying that it doesn't look like from an airplane.

Some time ago, some one taught me something about absolute statements being almost always wrong.
                        Acknowledged...3BS appropriately burned.

...that being said, I'm sure enough that there's a token prize for you if it is NOT from an aircraft. (And of somewhat greater value than my typical offer of expired approach plates).

Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

That twisted metallic part doesn't look like an airplane-style construction.
                          I agree, it also has some chinese letters stamped too. Unless the aircraft was built in China, which I doubt. Is not a Boeing part.
                          A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

• More about the Aircraft Door :

A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

• According to Associated Press, Malaysian authorites saying new piece of debris is a domestic ladder

Comment

• My personal opinion is they are looking in the wrong place, if they find more parts of the aircraft on Reunion or the surrounding islands it will be a miracle because generally things dont float forever.

Comment

Working...
                                X