Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
    Not surprisingly...
    Another possibility, if genuine, which is slightly more tasteful than the thought of reporters or rescuers pocketing phones/cameras from the crash site, is that some phone camera apps and so on do have the ability to upload recordings straight to dropbox and other online storage services. Those would generally not be accessible to the public though, but such content could have been provided by family (but why would they do this?).

I've not seen the supposed videos but it sounded like there was nothing to really see, just noise and banging, so sounds to me more like someone's idea of a prank than genuine?

Comment

• Good news, the FDR was found today. (or the guts from the FDR, because they found the box empty last week)
      A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

• Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
        If this is true then Paris Match magazine needs to be forced to reveal its source because someone seems to have stolen property from the crash site.
        I watched an interview yesterday on CNN - it was the editor of the Paris Match magazine who said that it was obtained by the SAR teams on the ground via a "friend" who he had known for 30 years.

He went on to say that he is positive it is genuine and that he won't be handing it over to the investigators because it wouldn't help with the investigation
        AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Originally posted by orangehuggy
        the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

• Originally posted by AVION1 View Post
          Good news, the FDR was found today. (or the guts from the FDR, because they found the box empty last week)
          Not picking on you but what will it contain that is meaningful to the root cause? Just some confirmation and nitpicky stuff.
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• CNN: Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz sought help from at least 5 doctors before crash.
            this from the Prosecutor's spokesman Ralf Herrenbrueck

"on at least one day he concerned himself with search terms about cockpit doors and their security precautions.''

Prosecutors did not disclose the individual search terms in the browser history but said personal correspondence supported the conclusion Lubitz used the device in the period from 16 to 23 March.
            AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Originally posted by orangehuggy
            the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

Good news, the FDR was found today. (or the guts from the FDR, because they found the box empty last week)
              I hope they can recover something from this:

Source: The Aviation Herald http://avherald.com/h?article=483a5651&opt=0

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
              --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

I hope they can recover something from this:
                They've successfully read it out. Reports are saying that he increased airspeed more than once during the descent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
                  They've successfully read it out. Reports are saying that he increased airspeed more than once during the descent.
                  Yep, terrible to hear! Sad, very sad...

Comment

• I have never seen a FDR so damaged...!

A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

I have never seen a FDR so damaged...!
                      Yes, but yet, it is not too damaged. So don't put that sad smiley.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Originally posted by Av Herald
                        on several occasions the speed of the aircraft was adjusted during the descent.
                        Increased?

OR

Adjusted?

Could it be that in his somewhat expeditious descent he simply throttled back to prevent an overspeed (or turned the airspeed down).

I'm not seeing the big breakthrough here.

Why would he care? I don't know know. Maybe the over-speed warning is loud and unpleasant...
                        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                          Increased?

OR

Adjusted?

Could it be that in his somewhat expeditious descent he simply throttled back to prevent an overspeed (or turned the airspeed down).

I'm not seeing the big breakthrough here.

Why would he care? I don't know know. Maybe the over-speed warning is loud and unpleasant...
                          If it was open descent (i.e. speed on elevator), then increase of speed = nose down = increase sink rate, and you won't overspeed unless you select such a speed.

Comment

If it was open descent (i.e. speed on elevator), then increase of speed = nose down = increase sink rate, and you won't overspeed unless you select such a speed.
                            Exactly, except that you won't overspeed in any case. The high-speed protection has priority.

Comment

Exactly, except that you won't overspeed in any case. The high-speed protection has priority.
                              If you WANT TO, you can (although I think that the AP cannot be engaged in direct law, can it?)

Comment

There is presently a somewhat misguided debate simmering about whether we should be 'vilifying' people with depression. Certainly we should not, but the debate is misguided by ignoring the special context of airline piloting. This is a profession that simply can't tolerate certain risks. At the very least, employing a pilot with a history of 'serious depressive episodes' should require a close, ongoing cooperative vigilance involving both the pilot and anyone providing him with treatment or therapy (especially involving medication). But I'm not even favoring that. I just see airline piloting as an elite profession, like professional sports, where a certain reliable mental performance threshold is required. A lot of people would like to be pilots but cannot because of other physical ailments. A pilot with a history of 'serious' depression must be carefully established as having been 'cured' for a very long period of time, without remissions. From my experience, very few people suffering from 'serious' depression can ever be entirely 'cured' at this point in history. They can lead high-functioning, rewarding lives and achieve greatness in many fields in spite of their latent depression, but airline pilot just crosses a line of common sense in my opinion.
                                Watched a discussion on this. The experts involved said this should not be used to belittle people with depression. The employer should be informed and the pilot in question should be monitored and under professional care. But what I never hear discussed at all is personality disorders. You can treat depression and/or mania, but personality disorders are not routinely diagnosed and harder, even impossible, to treat. Vladimir Putin and Kim Jong Un have one. Bernie Madoff has one. These people are charismatic, they suck people in with their personalities. Profilers are who identify personality disorders. Very, very intelligent people with no consciousness of personality disorders make huge mistakes out of ignorance when handling this. And if you get a mood disorder coupled with a personality disorder, you have high explosive with sophisticated skills. I'm not sure how the airlines will address this even if they become aware.

Comment

Working...
                                X