United Express off runway at Ottawa airport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United Express off runway at Ottawa airport

Only the pilot/co-pilot injured, witnesses said the aircraft seemed to have hydroplaned (it's raining like stink at the moment).

An investigation is underway into what caused a United Express airplane arriving from Washington to skid off the runway at the Ottawa International Airport Wednesday, injuring the plane's pilot and co-pilot Wednesday afternoon.

Hello.

Here's a couple of pics of the aircraft that slid off the runway this afternoon in the heavy rain. Just uploaded from the queue. It was Flight 8050 from Washington, DC at arrived approximately 15:30L. The runway in use for this landing was 07 here at Ottawa (CYOW).

Sorry for the poor quality. It is still raining here pretty good.

United Express, operating as Trans States Airlines under FLT 8050 reportedly slid off the runway (07) at approximately 15:30L this afternoon.. N847HK. Embraer ERJ-145LR. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

United Express, operating as Trans States Airlines under FLT 8050 reportedly slid off the runway (07) at approximately 15:30L this afternoon.. N847HK. Embraer ERJ-145LR. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Mike

Comment

Asphalt runways.

Comment

Are runways crowned like highways to drain the rain away?

Comment

Originally posted by photosmart55 View Post
          Hello.

Here's a couple of pics of the aircraft that slid off the runway this afternoon in the heavy rain. Just uploaded from the queue. It was Flight 8050 from Washington, DC at arrived approximately 15:30L. The runway in use for this landing was 07 here at Ottawa (CYOW).

Sorry for the poor quality. It is still raining here pretty good.

Mike
          Glad to see you could had made it and got some good quality shots! I'm [email protected] btw . Yeah, I saw the A333 land before the heavy rain started too from my house. I saw some accidents on the roads too. It was pretty dran close to the fence! Did you put your photos as hot? You think it'll be there tomorrow? Or will it be moved to the First Air Hanger for maintaincence?
          Flickr |Airliners.Net | Airplane-Pictures.Net | Jetphotos.Net

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
            Asphalt runways.
            Yes, and?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
            --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

I believe that what he's getting at is that Canada does not have grooved runways.

It also probably doesn't help that the cheap SOB who runs Trans States Airlines didn't shell out the money for thrust reversers on these Embraers.
              Parlour Talker Extraordinaire

Comment

Hello Jan ... good to hear from you again.

I believe the plane will be there for a few days as the NTSB and Company officials will be flying up sometime today. It was still there this morning. The good thing about Ottawa is that there are quite a few maintennance companies for repair if there is no structural damage. I'm sure someone with more technical/structural knowledge will be able to answer this far better than I can.

Did you get the AN-124 ?

Mike

Originally posted by C-FITL View Post
                Glad to see you could had made it and got some good quality shots! I'm [email protected] btw . Yeah, I saw the A333 land before the heavy rain started too from my house. I saw some accidents on the roads too. It was pretty dran close to the fence! Did you put your photos as hot? You think it'll be there tomorrow? Or will it be moved to the First Air Hanger for maintaincence?

Comment

Originally posted by EconomyClass View Post
                  Are runways crowned like highways to drain the rain away?
                  Yes

Comment

Originally posted by Vnav View Post
                    I believe that what he's getting at is that Canada does not have grooved runways.
                    Why don't they have grooved runways in Canada?

Originally posted by Vnav View Post
                    It also probably doesn't help that the cheap SOB who runs Trans States Airlines didn't shell out the money for thrust reversers on these Embraers.
                    Hmmmmm - if the thrust reversers are the only thing to keep you from going off the far end, the runway was legally too short anyway. Thrust reversers are only a bonus. All planes that have them are still certified to land without them.

Comment

Originally posted by photosmart55 View Post
                      Hello Jan ... good to hear from you again.

I believe the plane will be there for a few days as the NTSB and Company officials will be flying up sometime today. It was still there this morning. The good thing about Ottawa is that there are quite a few maintennance companies for repair if there is no structural damage. I'm sure someone with more technical/structural knowledge will be able to answer this far better than I can.

Did you get the AN-124 ?

Mike
                      Ok, I'll be going up there around 4-5PM today, can you come? Your pic was on the front page this morning, maybe I can get one with my digital. I didn't catch the Russian cause I live far and don't get notified. I did see a ACA 763 emergency landing back in April (5th). Which hanger you think they'll be at? First Air or the blue ones? I hope it will be there to tonight, did the UE land late cause how did it get to the end of 25? You part of Airport Watch?

MARK, LOOK AT THAT! YOU LUCKY DOG!

Comment

Just as I thought, this accident was similar to the AF in Toronto back in 2005. I noticed the aircraft landed like in the middle of the RWY, it's a small aircraft and it can land later than something like a A320, but for safety they shouldn't.

He said the Air France crash in Toronto in 2005 was a similar incident. In that one, however, the jet carrying more than 300 people ended up in a ravine, on fire. Although everyone got out, a dozen people were seriously injured.

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/health/...#ixzz0r8BJXKUH

He said the Air France crash in Toronto in 2005 was a similar incident. In that one, however, the jet carrying more than 300 people ended up in a ravine, on fire. Although everyone got out, a dozen people were seriously injured.

Apparently this investigation will be taking months, my two cents are that there was a hydralic/brakes failure and maybe reverse thrusters didn't go off as on pictures they are closed, the weather was very bad, very very low visibilty, late touchdown and slippery runway.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Kesternich View Post
                          Hmmmmm - if the thrust reversers are the only thing to keep you from going off the far end, the runway was legally too short anyway. Thrust reversers are only a bonus. All planes that have them are still certified to land without them.
                          Not really. Reversers can be taken into account for the RTO and alnding performance in wet runways.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Kesternich View Post

Below you will find a couple of the 'Assumptions' that are used in the landing performance charts of a typical plane at my airline. Note that the data is based on Maximum braking with spoilers extended. The braking forces that will result if you actually perform maximum braking on a landing with a good firm touchdown and rapid auto/manual spoiler extension will far outweigh any braking forces from the reverse thrust. Because of that, Reverse thrust is not factored into many landing performance charts (however, as we found out after the SWA runway excursion, it is factored into some).

The distance to a complete stop from 50 feet above the runway threshold at VRef.

Based on Maximum Braking, Speed Brakes Extended and No Thrust Reverse.

However, in a typical landing, most pilots do not use Max braking.....generally no where near it. Therefore, on a typical landing, the Reversers actually perform a good bit of the stopping force. Furthermore, in a case of Poor/Nil braking action or where the aircraft is hydroplaning (as may have been the case here) the only stopping force available may be the reverse thrust.

I've never flown the E145, but the pilots that have say the even reverse idle is extremely effective, and who knows, it may have made the difference here FWIW, Trans States has a split fleet, some have reverse, some don't

Last edited by Vnav; 2010-06-17, 20:40.
                            Parlour Talker Extraordinaire

Comment

I just went donw there, she ain't going to be flying for a while. They closed all the doors now and they lifted her up. I hope my shots can make it onto the site

Comment

Working...
                              X