Delta will Ban Cel Calls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delta will Ban Cel Calls

i'm not a delta fan, in fact i haven't flown delta in so long i cannot remember the last time.

however, MAJOR kudos to them for this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25436981

I agree!

Although I wonder how long it will last... once they realize they're losing business from the crowd that thinks they'll shrivel up and die if they're not "connected" 24/7/365.
    Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

It is bad enough hearing people yap on cell phones in airports. On flights this would worse. Good for Delta; I hope other airlines follow.

Comment

1) I thought that the use of cell phones was going to be generally disallowed with all arilines- for ambience reasons..

2) After touchdown, I can't fault folks for checking in with a ride/family something.
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post
          Although I wonder how long it will last... once they realize they're losing business
          Based on what?

This didn't just happen on a whim... DL and WN have been studying this for years, and it took them both 0.01 seconds to instate the ban, once they were given the option.

So use your common sense:
          What do you think their studies told them about their biggest-spending and/or most consistent customers' feelings on this?

I doubt they really care what the Gen-Y kiddie flying on the cheapest fare, thinks of it.
          Us, lighting a living horse on fire:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH2_Q3oJPeU

Check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by ConcordeBoy View Post
            Based on what?

This didn't just happen on a whim... DL and WN have been studying this for years, and it took them both 0.01 seconds to instate the ban, once they were given the option.

So use your common sense:
            What do you think their studies told them about their biggest-spending and/or most consistent customers' feelings on this?

I doubt they really care what the Gen-Y kiddie flying on the cheapest fare, thinks of it.
            gotta tell you that you are dead wrong on your demographics. i have a 70 year old friend who is so addicted to his cell phone it makes me sick. i travel for a living, and as i walk thru airports the age group i see on the phone most is a lot older than i would've thought. the younger crows is addicted to text messaging, which bothers no one as long as the tones are shut off.

Comment

My experience is the same... my in-laws are 70+ and when we've visited, I don't think half an hour has ever gone by without them making or receiving a cell call. The average is probably about 15 minutes. Worst thing is they share the phone, so not only do you get the cell conversation but also the "here... take it... no, she wants to talk to you...".

With the kids, it's fingers constantly flying on the keyboard... except the ones that have to talk out loud while they do it.
              Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Wouldn't that likely be the group that wants to see some cell-phones used on planes. If anything, I would imagine some Business Class passengers would rather like the opportunity to be able to make a few quick calls on board (though personally, I would feel the opposite - a flight is a period where I can be alone and not have to be at someone else's beck and will).

Could there be a compromise here - like - we can allow you to talk on your phone in this compartment (of an A380) or at this galley (on most other aircraft)? Or, would that be just as bad?
                Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

cellphones have been available to the public for well over 20 years. in all that time they have been banned on aircraft. not surprisingly, not one death has been reported as a result of the ban.

in my mind, there is nothing to be gained from allowing people to yap away at 36k other than forcing everyone else to be annoyed by the yapping.

business travelers (including me) have survived without phones and internet and will continue to do so.

if you allow their use in a section of the aircraft, the neighboring section will suffer--sorta like the rows in front of the smoking section from years back.

use in the galley is a horrendous idea.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                    gotta tell you that you are dead wrong on your demographics. i have a 70 year old friend who is so addicted to his cell phone it makes me sick. i travel for a living, and as i walk thru airports the age group i see on the phone most is a lot older than i would've thought. the younger crows is addicted to text messaging, which bothers no one as long as the tones are shut off.
                    *yawn*
                    Regardless, the point/question remains exactly the same.

Considering that they studied this for years, and instituted it almost the instant they were given the option: What do you think their studies told them about their biggest-spending and/or most consistent customers' feelings on this?
                    Us, lighting a living horse on fire:
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH2_Q3oJPeU

Check it out!

Comment

*yawn*
                      Regardless, the point/question remains exactly the same.

Considering that they studied this for years, and instituted it almost the instant they were given the option: What do you think their studies told them about their biggest-spending and/or most consistent customers' feelings on this?
                      what makes you think they "studied" it at all? the fact that they announced the ban right after it became a possibility doesn't mean they studied anything. it simply means they are smart enough to realize that permitting cell phone use will piss off a lot more folks than not.

again, i applaud their decision and hope ALL airlines follow suit.

Comment

Phone use has been available on long haul aeroplanes for a very long time.

Almost all long haul carriers have phones IN EVERY SEAT, and those that don't often have them near the galleys.

The ability to use a phone on an aircraft is not new.

The reason people don't? Cost. And they're often simply not interested! I'm wondering why people assume that it will be any different now. To use a cell phone on an aircraft will require airlines to retrofit a small 'cell tower' into the aeroplane, which has its own issues. It will take a brave cell company to foot the bill for providing the equipment, and airlines won't want to either.

I'd stick with banning inflight calls. My bet is that the safety case of passengers being right-royal pains in the backside and causing inflight problems using them will outweigh benefits anyway.

Comment

And FWIW, I think that Delta will have most definitely 'studied' this for years.

Airlines know an incredible amount about their passengers. The volume of data they have about their preferences is incredible.

I believe Delta (as will have a lot of airlines) have been keeping an eye on this for a long time. They will have investigated if people wanted to use phones - if they did, I guarantee they will have been pushing for permission to do so.

That they acted so quickly makes me think they have formed an opinion on this topic a long time ago.

Comment

i don't think they've studied anything. sure, they've been watching it so that they know what to do when the OK comes from the gov.

a lot of what airlines know about their pax comes from surveys. as a frequent flier on AA i get plenty of surveys from them. never a question about cellphone use. in fact, they never even asked about wifi!

yes, planes have had sat phones forever. i used them on very rare occasions and paid quite dearly for it. $15+ minute.

and if you think the big carriers would balk at spending a few bucks to put a pico cell on an aircraft to be able to charge a premium for "air roaming" you are mistaken. they would do it in a heart beat. the sheer volume of calls and cash they would earn would be astounding, even if they only charged .05 per minute.

Comment

Only if they thought people would use it.

I've seen picocell trials for SMS/Data, and the response and use was underwhelming. No where near enough to justify the expense of installation.

If you have to pay $5 a minute for a Satphone call, or $5 a minute for a mobile call, either way they're going to be non starters. The only way it would work is if the mobile carriers asked for the installation, and then sold it as "part of the service".

I think this is a considered response from the airline, not an 'off the cuff' response because of the announcement. But we'll just have to disagree on that one I guess!

Comment

Working...
                              X