SR111, ten years ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SR111, ten years ago

...due to the outages (and therefore my ensuing disconnect) caused by Gustav, I wasn't able to make my typical tribute to those lost on SR111, ten years ago this month on September 2, 1998.

Ill-fated HB-IWF, seen here during happier days, skimming over rooftops of Kowloon City for a landing on runway 13 as flight SR178. - Photo taken at Hong Kong - Kai Tak International (HKG / VHHH) [CLOSED] in Hong Kong, China on February 8, 1998.

RIP Vaud, and the 229 who perished with you on that horrible night.

Us, lighting a living horse on fire:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH2_Q3oJPeU

Check it out!

Thanks ConcordeBoy. It's still very hard and sad memories for many many people around here. We'll never forget that Md-11 and the number 111 will always make us sad...

Comment

After the crash Air Canada operated double daily flights from JFK to YHZ for the families. Air Canada's pilots were on strike at the time and the airline was shut down, however we continued to operate these two daily roundtrips.

Comment

the ATC

callsign is Swissair one eleven heavy

Comment

The memorial

Comment

Originally posted by Mel View Post
            The memorial
            ...there's another one by the sea too, unless this is just one in the same but the angle gives the appearance of a different background.

Check it out!

Comment

Horrible, horrible disaster. I can only imagine what they went through. May they all RIP.
              sigpic
              http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

...there's another one by the sea too, unless this is just one in the same but the angle gives the appearance of a different background.
                Perhaps this is what you are thinking of. This memorial was carved by a Swiss visitor to Peggy's Cove to honor the wonderful people and fishermen that devoted themselves to supporting this accident and its aftermath on their lives.

When you talk to the people arround Peggy's Cove today it's difficult for one not to have tears in their eyes. We often forget about the toll that a disaster takes on everybody whom it touches.

And for those who have never visited Peggy's Cove, here's what it looks like this week

Comment

And for those who have never visited Peggy's Cove, here's what it looks like this week
                  Were you there?

If so, tell us: was there a dedicated event of some kind to mark the 10th anniversary?

Check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by ConcordeBoy View Post
                    Were you there?

If so, tell us: was there a dedicated event of some kind to mark the 10th anniversary?
                    Yes and no.

The families had asked not to have a memorial event in their name since they wanted closure.

Some of the people who worked so hard to recover the bodies and wreckage did gather to remember.

Comment

The families had asked not to have a memorial event in their name since they wanted closure.
                      Wow. Sad, but understandable.

Dunno why, but SR111 is one of several crashes (along with AA191, MS990, TW800, and especially AF4590) that I feel compelled to always do an annual personal tribute to, to remember those lost... even though I didn't (and still don't) know any of them nor their families.

Check it out!

Comment

Just resurrecting a necro-thread rather than creating a new one. Caught a promo for this

"At 10:31 p.m. on Sept. 2, 1998, Nova Scotians felt their homes shake as Swissair flight 111 slammed into the waters off Peggy's Cove, killing all on board. There were 229 passengers and crew, including a Saudi Prince and a relative of the late Shah of Iran. In the cargo hold, a half a billion dollars worth of gold, diamonds and cash.

On Friday, Sept. 16, at 9 p.m. (9:30 NT), the fifth estate investigates the crash of Flight 111 and reveals stunning allegations, meticulously documented by former RCMP officer — Tom Juby — the veteran crime scene investigator who suspects it might have been murder. "

Comment

Sounds like a bunch of crap just to get good ratings, I am positive of that in fact.

Comment

Originally posted by KGEG View Post

Sounds like a bunch of crap just to get good ratings, I am positive of that in fact.
                            Not sure. Certainly not unknown to start a season off with an eye-catching topic. Having watched it, the gist seems to be twofold:

a) The feeling by an RCMP investigator (Tom Juby) that the TSB was hasty in framing the crash as an accident (10 days after the incident IIRC) and that that directed the frame of the investigation instead of keeping a more wide-ranging view of circumstances.

and

b) Discovery of magnesium levels in a sample of melted copper from near the fire site that aren't explained.

Make of it what you will, I didn't find it to be the most compelling episode of "The Fifth Estate" I've ever seen relying as it does on the evidence provided by two individuals who may or may not have an axe to grind. The amount of water under the bridge also doesn't help.

Comment

As I watch this- it's interesting with a couple of valid questions regarding Mg and that the fire appeared to burn more than it should have.

BUT, I also see that these questions would beg other questions, some of which are easy to ask.

-Any evidence of more Mg at the "starting point"?
                              -Any communication from FA's that suggests strange behavior?
                              -If it was a device- where would it have been planted?
                              -Any evidence of a device BESIDES Mg- wouldn't there be more than JUST Mg?
                              -A genuine motive? (Lots of weak innuendo- but no meat)

If it's criminal activity- get some answers to these (and other) easy-to-ask questions!

I also see a possibility that some of these official doubters might be "legitimately over the top/not quite as objective as they should be"-just a human nature gut feeling, based on how they are acting.

By the way, planes don't do very well with fire. Air Florida had the hot O2 generators, but TWA 800, an MD-80-smoking in the lavatory, 737 on takeoff roll- these planes burned plenty well after being ignited.
                              Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Working...
                              X