Screening Queue Too Long !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to add my two cents...

-The Histogram is your friend. Learn how to use it and study it. It tells you a hell of a lot about your picture. And yes we use histograms when screening.
    -White planes should be white, not grey, off white, yellow, blue or orange. Learn about Colour balance in your camera or how to colour balance your picture in the editing process.
    -the JPEG process for storing pictures is destructive. If you shoot in JPEG, then edit in JPEG, then upload in JPEG, your pictures are going to degrade. Think about using TIF or PNG in the editing process. If you really want to get the best form your camera, learn how to use RAW shooting and processing.
    -If its an overcast day and you don't quite understand how the metering works in your camera, put it away and come back another day. I have seen batches of photos uploaded with blown out overcast skies and planes looking like mere shadows.
    -Make sure your monitor is calibrated. There are plenty of sites on the internet to help you align the brightness and contrast of your monitor suitably. Most computer monitors are wound up too high resulting in you winding the brightness down of the pic and then causing a whole batch of dark pictures.

A little bit of learning and prep can make your pictures stand out. It makes it a pleasure to Instant Add them. When you have to screen through a bunch of pics all with the same obvious fault, then that takes up a lot of our time.

It isn't about how many you can get uploaded, its about having a quality pic against your name for fellow enthusiasts to enjoy. If you want a pic on the front page, or a screeners choice, think about your pic, decide on the best way to get that pic, then go get it. You might take 100 bad ones, but its one good one that makes our hobby worthwhile.
    Last edited by Billsville; 2014-11-30, 22:02.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
      ...I'm not looking for any trumpet calls or fawning thanks,...
      Offers fawning thanks anyway, can't find my trumpet. (But you wouldn't want to hear that anyway.)

Comment

Originally posted by Billsville View Post
        ...Make sure your monitor is calibrated. There are plenty of sites on the internet to help you align the brightness and contrast of your monitor suitably...
        This is a good idea for everyone and it makes me curious; is there a calibration program or site that is preferred by the screeners here? Might help if we are all on the same page after all.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
          ... I'm not looking for any trumpet calls or fawning thanks, ...

Tadam! Thanks you Brian!

To be honest, I'm beginning to think that the only way to get things back under control is to freeze uploading for three or four days to give us a bit of catch up time ...
          I propose again to think about daily limit of, say 1000 uploads. Seems it works for planespotters, who has about month long queue in the Spring but now managed to shorten it to about 1-2 weeks. Limit on appeals is not bad thing too. Anet allows for two simultaneous appeal and planespotters for 5.

Comment

Originally posted by Freightdogg View Post
            This is a good idea for everyone and it makes me curious; is there a calibration program or site that is preferred by the screeners here? Might help if we are all on the same page after all.
            This is a useful site for LCD monitor calibration. It has an especially useful tool for setting your monitor view angle.
            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Brian, I think you guys need to freeze upload for a few days that is for sure, however it would be interesting to see if the uploads get smashed. Perhaps write in the script only 500 photos a day or something?

Comment

I want to sincerely thank whichever screeners that are working really hard to push 1,100+ pictures a day through at the moment!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkLawrence View Post
                  I want to sincerely thank whichever screeners that are working really hard to push 1,100+ pictures a day through at the moment!!!
                  I am one of those sad types that has a lot of free times on her hands And I think some of my fellow screeners as well.
                  Btw Moday I am at my paid work again, so less time for screening.

Comment

Once again a great hands up for all the screeners who dealed with the queue over the last four weeks, and especially during the last weekend.
                    I ve seen the queue descending from 18000 down to under 15000 during december and another massive drop over the last few days.

Thanks for all the hard work guys/ladies.

All the best for 2015 as well

Comment

• Any hopes for faster screeneing? Now it's 15-16 photo/month for unpaid member, if ones keeps queue full and with quite low level of rejected photos (i.e. queue is around 18-20 photos). Compared to Anet, I have more than 20 photos added a month with less queue slots and much lower (around 50%) acceptance ratio

Comment

• Originally posted by Kulverstukas View Post
                        Any hopes for faster screeneing? :
                        If you guys and girls want to club together and pay us to screen faster, then we will gladly do so. Until then we have our daily jobs and family lives to deal with, so it's unlikely you'll see faster screening to a considerable extent. We do our best given that we give our free time to screen and sometimes we just don't have that free time.

Comment

• Originally posted by B7772ADL View Post
                          If you guys and girls want to club together and pay us to screen faster, then we will gladly do so.
                          yeah indeed

Seriously we are concerned by the long queue and will do our best to improve the situation

Comment

• chill people

If the queue is too long upload your photo's some where else
                            like a net and get them rejected
                            this site is now way more popular than any other site i know of,
                            just chill out
                            they will be screened in the end, more than likely a month after you uploaded them
                            no problem
                            well done to the screener for plowing through them

Comment

• Originally posted by terryf1985 View Post
                              If the queue is too long upload your photo's some where else
                              like a net and get them rejected
                              this site is now way more popular than any other site i know of,
                              just chill out
                              they will be screened in the end, more than likely a month after you uploaded them
                              no problem
                              well done to the screener for plowing through them
                              Well,I posted this thread about 1.5 years ago and thought this was closed.
                              Anyway I,in fact we all uploaders have full respect for the screeners,and screening time is not a big deal as SCREENERS ARE DOING IT VOLUNTARILY, again thanks to screeners for spending their valuable time on screening our photos

Comment

• Be patient guys..

These people have their everyday life like everyone else..

It's not the end of the world if a photo is not seen in a flash.

Go enjoy the outside world everyone!

Thank you screeners

Comment

Working...
                                X