Near miss at BCN on July 5th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

On Jul 11th 2014 The Aviation Herald received information stating, that the A340 of Aerolineas Argentinas had originally been assigned to take off from runway 07L. The aircraft departed from stand 270 and taxied along taxiways NS, K and D. When the aircraft was between D1 and D2 the runway configuration was switched and runways 25 became active, the aircraft was re-assigned to take off from runway 25R. The crew subsequently turned onto taxiway M to cross runway 02 a third time and was cleared to cross the runway. The crew noticed the stop bars were illuminated and queried ground, the stop bars were promptly extinguished. After the crew checked the approach they proceeded past the hold short line, then the first officer noticed the strobes of an arriving aircraft, the captain accelerated the crossing, the first officer subsequently advised the oncoming aircraft had gone around. The A340 needed to hold at the holding point 25R for several minutes until all aircraft assigned to land on runway 07L had landed, then departed without further incident. There had been no comment from ground control about the occurrence.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

There we go then. ATC screwed up....and given that the Spanish have a culture of never admitting that they're wrong they'll just cover it up. ( "Hey....... Pedro. Quick, clear that Argie to take off. With luck they won't say anything and won't be coming back any time soon")
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

So the AA did good. At least that's comforting

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
          ....and given that the Spanish have a culture of never admitting that they're wrong they'll just cover it up. ( "Hey....... Pedro. Quick, clear that Argie to take off. With luck they won't say anything and won't be coming back any time soon")
          You don't give up on those silly stereotypical comments, do you? Glad that people in the UK have something to feel good about themselves.

How's that troll Cameron doing? Is he taking you out of the EU yet, or is he going to solve the REAL issues without BLAMING SOMEONE ELSE in a rather nonsensical way????

Comment

English humour Black Ram, specifically it's called English black humour. We need a sense of humour to vote in a dick like Cameron !
            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

I'm not using that serious of a tone myself. We are all the same - that's pretty much what I was trying to say.
              But I can't lie to myself - I didn't really catch/expect the sarcasm/irony. I guess the good sense of humor needs to come when you've voted in a dick like Cameron.

Comment

This footage has been filmed with a long (tele) lens, which "compresses" the image, i.e. makes objects seem to have similar size, even if they are separated by a certain distance. My guess is around 500 meters when the landing plane went around.
                The second plane landing took about 12 seconds after touch-down to reach the crossing point.
                The two planes would not have hit, I think, but that's not the point, obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by ultraflight View Post
                  My guess is around 500 meters when the landing plane went around.
                  Your guess is off by 200%.
                  The Aerolíneas Argentinas crossed at about mid-runway and the other plane went around before reaching the threshold. They were about 1500m away.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

So, summarizing:

- Barcelona airport.
                    - They were in the transition to the night shift, that included a change in the active runways.
                    The Aerolíeas Argentinas plane was cleared to cross the active runway when another plane had been already cleared to land.
                    - The Aerolíneas Argentinas pilots saw the red lights in the runway intersection and called ATC to inform about it.
                    - The ATC turned off the red lights and confirmed that they were cleared to cross the runway.

Any similitude with this new incident below is NOT a mere coincidence. Only difference is that, this time, when the crew called "hey, you cleared me to cross but the lights are red" ATC replied, "sorry, my bad, hold short".

An Air France Airbus A321-200, registration F-GTAZ performing flight AF-1449 from Barcelona,SP (Spain) to Paris Charles de Gaulle (France) with 189 passengers and 7 crew, was taxiing from stand 221 to the assigned departure runway 25L and received clearance to cross runway 02. The aircraft reached the hold short line of runway 02 at 06:58L, noticed the stop bar lights were illuminated, stopped the aircraft before the hold short line and radioed ground control to verify whether they were indeed cleared to cross runway 02. At this point ground control instructed the aircraft to hold position.

A TNT Airways Boeing 737-400 freighter, registration OE-IAP performing freight flight 3V-421J from Liege (Belgium) to Barcelona,SP (Spain) with 2 crew, was on final approach to Barcelona's runway 02 and had been cleared to land on runway 02 about one minute prior to the Air France crew stopping their aircraft at the hold short line.

Spain's CIAIAC reported the aerodrome was just about to switch from night to day operation at 07:00L, which would remove runway 02 from service and switch all traffic to both runways 25. The CIAIAC have opened an investigation into the occurrence.
                    Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

Comment

Working...
                    X