Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st bulgarian A330

Bulgaria's BH Air to take over Jordan Aviation's A330

BH Air - Balkan Holidays Air (8H, Sofia) will add a first A330-200 to its books with the arrival of ex-Jordan Aviation (R5, Amman Queen Alia) machine, JY-JAJ (cn 255) according to Aerotransport. The Bulgarian scheduled operator currently employs two A319-100s and three A320s and it is believed the A330 will be used on longhaul flights to the United States should the carrier secure the necessary traffic rights.

The addition of the A330 will mark the first time a Bulgarian carrier has used an in-house widebody jet since Balkan Bulgarian Airlines (LZ, Sofia) operated two French-registered B767-200(ER)s, msn 24832 and 24854, up until the late 1990s.

BH Air - Balkan Holidays Air (8H, Sofia) will add a first A330-200 to its books with the arrival of ex-Jordan Aviation (R5, Amman Queen Alia) machine, JY-JAJ (cn 255) according to Aerotransport. The Bulgarian scheduled operator currently employs two A319-100s and three A320s and it is believed the A330 will be used on longhaul flights to the United States should the carrier secure the necessary traffic rights. The addition of the A330 will mark the first time a Bulgarian carrier has used an in-house widebody jet since Balkan Bulgarian Airlines (Sofia) operated two French-registered B767-200(ER)s, msn 24832 and 24854, up until the late 1990s.
    “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Originally posted by ErwinS View Post
    ...it is believed the A330 will be used on longhaul flights to the United States should the carrier secure the necessary traffic rights.
    I really wish them the best of luck with this - but I can't see an A330's amount of Bulgarians from any city in the U.S., consistently enough to make a profit. Don't get me wrong, I can see many Bulgarians travelling back and forth and know a few that make the trek - but they all do them on other carriers, namely European or Russian carriers that offer better prices and frequencies.

Here's to me being wrong, as I hope that this is a success.

Again, I wish them best of luck with the service.
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

I think BH Air is actually a charter airline. So this A330 could choose to fly only when sufficiently full? They might even try to include the airfare as part of a tourist package for some, and maybe travelers to other countries in the Western Balkans might choose to take the flight, if the airfare is competitive. And then they will also try to use the bus on other destinations.

Another interesting question is what is the status of the partnership between US Airways and Bulgaria Air (main Bulgarian airline) after the merger with AA? Bulgaria Air was able to sell flights to destinations in the US (and back), where the transatlantic flight will be operated by US Airways. Basically they could sell seats on US Airways flights.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ram View Post
        I think BH Air is actually a charter airline. So this A330 could choose to fly only when sufficiently full? They might even try to include the airfare as part of a tourist package for some, and maybe travelers to other countries in the Western Balkans might choose to take the flight, if the airfare is competitive. And then they will also try to use the bus on other destinations.
        I see. In that case, then you're absolutely right. Hell, I could see them doing tour packages, and even maybe a few scheduled flights to the 'States, and to Europe. I really wish them the best, and to see them taking on more planes soon.

Originally posted by Black Ram View Post
        Another interesting question is what is the status of the partnership between US Airways and Bulgaria Air (main Bulgarian airline) after the merger with AA? Bulgaria Air was able to sell flights to destinations in the US (and back), where the transatlantic flight will be operated by US Airways. Basically they could sell seats on US Airways flights.
        I hope that AA chooses to continue the partnership. It's a smart move, and from the market - I don't see many competitors, but when it comes to partnerships, OneWorld may complicate things, if only slightly. I wonder what kind of market AirBerlin and S7 have in that region (i.e. - will there be a competition issue?).
        Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Working...
        X