Icelandair lightning strike @ KEF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Icelandair lightning strike @ KEF

Newsagencies report Icelandair FI671 experienced a lightning strike immediately after takeoff, but continued to fly to DEN, where a soup plate size hole was found in the radome.
    Icelandair spokesperson maintains that protocol was followed.
    9NEWS state that it would have been prudent to return to KEF for a checkup.

Considering the size of the breach in the radome, found only after the fact, maybe 9NEWS have a point?

There is a pretty picture in this link:

Maybe Icelandair have different "protocol", see this previous occurrence:
    A plane, registration unknown, was involved in occurrence at an unknown location, . There were no fatalities.

The pilot likely didn't even know there was any damage. He reported flight status and systems to be normal and followed standard protocols. 9NEWS, being the aviation industry standards approval agency that they ..... ummmmm ......aren't have the benefit of hindsight and a front end photograph but not the benefit of being in the cockpit and actually flying the aircraft.

Reporters eh ? I wouldn't cross the road to piss on one if they were on fire !!
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Just speculation but maybe they hit a soup plate.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
        The pilot likely didn't even know there was any damage...

...Reporters eh ? I wouldn't cross the road to piss on one if they were on fire !!
        You'd think that might make some nasty noise at 500 mph (TAS)...then again, boundary layers, and it's already noisy, so maybe not.

I hate reporters too but your comment isn't very paramedical
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

This flight landed in Denver and of course the media treated it like a big deal, especially since some rock band on board said the event was scary.

The flight path flies over or near to many airports so an emergency diversion is possible if trouble had developed.

I recall reading somewhere that early 757 radomes were prone to lightning damage

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
            ........I hate reporters too but your comment isn't very paramedical
            I retired and de-registered last May. It now qualifies as a civilian comment !!

I crossed swords with reporters several times during my career with one of them nearly costing me my job due to him twisting the truth, which was happily corrected in court. They never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
              ...I crossed swords with reporters several times during my career with one of them nearly costing me my job due to him twisting the truth...
              ...then perhaps, you WOULD want to piss on a reporter...But then again, that might involve extra paperwork, so apologies, you were right the first time.
              Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

During my years working on the ground at Icelands KEF airport I saw one other incident like this on an Icelandair 757 and one bird strike resulting in a slightly smaller hole on the nose cone. When that lightning strike happened the passangers were offered trauma counselling, and if I remember correctly 3 out of the 160 on board accapted it.

I also recall one time when an Icelandair cargo plane left for Liege I think and returned with a red nose cone, giving it the nickname Rudolf until it was repainted.

Comment

Working...
                X