FAO: Forumites who read Flying Magazine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAO: Forumites who read Flying Magazine

In the July issue of Flying, Dr. Dick Karl, a regular columnist in the widely-read, and broadly known magazine, wrote of visiting Atlas Air- the employer of our own, beloved Boeing Bobby.

I think that a significant number of forum members would be curious to know if Mr. Bobby got to meet Dick Karl during his visit.

Of course, incidents where other forum members who have encountered Dick Karl in person would be also be of public interest to a number of informed members of this forum.

Over the years, I've also heard a few funny comments regarding encounters with Les Abend.

And, many people still miss Gordon Baxter and Len Morgan. I also miss Richard Collins.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Please visit my website! http://www.schipholspotter.com/

Don't make me use uppercase...

Comment

3WE.......taking forum useage to a new WTF level !

( note the smilie use. )
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Peter:

It's intended for people who are interested and knowledgeable about aviation issues.

However, I did err by putting it in the Off-Topic forum. Apologies for the confusion from the references to famous aviation journalists.

Brian, I'll repost this in the Aviation forum shortly
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Thank you. Out of interest, which journals are you talking about as I've been around aviation for 55 years and have never heard of the persons mentioned ?

EDIT: Ah..."Flying" magazine. I don't read many magazines these days apart from "Airliner World" to keep up with info useful for the photography side of this site.
          Last edited by brianw999; 2014-07-20, 12:52.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
            Thank you. Out of interest, which journals are you talking about as I've been around aviation for 55 years and have never heard of the persons mentioned ?

EDIT: Ah..."Flying" magazine. I don't read many magazines these days apart from "Airliner World" to keep up with info useful for the photography side of this site.
            Been around aviation for 55 years, but not familiar with Len Morgan, Gordon Baxter and Richard Collins?

That's right, this is a photography website, not aviation...my bad.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
              Been around aviation for 55 years, but not familiar with Len Morgan, Gordon Baxter and Richard Collins?
              Remember that this is an international forum. While Flying is for sale abroad, it's individual contributors are not exactly house-hold names. Similarly, I would not expect you to know Thijs Postma or Jan Cocheret even though they frequently write for local magazines.
              Please visit my website! http://www.schipholspotter.com/

Don't make me use uppercase...

Comment

Originally posted by Petertenthije View Post
                Remember that this is an international forum. While Flying is for sale abroad, it's individual contributors are not exactly house-hold names. Similarly, I would not expect you to know Thijs Postma or Jan Cocheret even though they frequently write for local magazines.
                But FLYING is not just a local magazine or just "one that is for sale abroad".

It is one of the most (if not the most) renowned GA magazines in the world. It's in available in many FBOs, flight schools, flight clubs, magazine kiosks (especially at airports) and many pilots or just aviation fans have subscriptions.

I'd say that names like Len Morgan, Gordon Baxter and Richard Collins are widely known in the aviation environment around the world, not just in the USA. Just like Maradona and Messi are known in the football (soccer) environment around the world, not just Argentina.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                  But FLYING is not just a local magazine or just "one that is for sale abroad".

It is one of the most (if not the most) renowned GA magazines in the world. It's in available in many FBOs, flight schools, flight clubs, magazine kiosks (especially at airports) and many pilots or just aviation fans have subscriptions.

I'd say that names like Len Morgan, Gordon Baxter and Richard Collins are widely known in the aviation environment around the world, not just in the USA. Just like Maradona and Messi are known in the football (soccer) environment around the world, not just Argentina.
                  Thanks.

I was getting worried.

Then again, with Peter's home country being where the Wright Brothers invented the airplane and home to Boeing and formerly McDonnell and Douglas and Cessna and Piper, and... it was unrealistic of me to expect folks to know of Morgan, Baxter or Collins.

Comment

Deep apologies. I had no idea that it was my job to know about every single aviation writer in the world. I promise I will devote at least three hours a day from now on learning about them all.

Apart from the ones that I already know about of course such as David Learmount (Flight International and regular TV expert analyst), Brian Lecomber (various journals and author of aviation drama book "Talk Down"), Javier Rodriguez (Airliner World and prolific photographer), Peter Garrison (Flying), Rod Machado (Engineering and training ). There are many others but I don't pay much attention to their names, I'm more interested in their writings.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian
                      Deep apologies. I had no idea that it was my job to know about every single aviation writer in the world.
                      Every single writer?

No...but as a moderator of an aviation forum, three of the more extremely legendary writers from what is probably the premier aviation periodical in the world might be reasonable.

1) Check out Wikipedia.

2) See what writings you can find from these guys (SORRY TO SHOUT BUT IT IS VERY GOOD STUFF!)

3) And, there is actually a post from me on this very aviation forum where I quote one of these authors for memorial purposes for a former moderator here.

Gabriel....Concur?

Comment

Flying magazine is primarily a US publication, so no great surprise that people on the other side of the pond are unfamiliar. Nor is not being familiar with Richard Collins any great loss, IMHO.

Comment

Every single writer?

No...but as a moderator of an aviation forum, three of the more extremely legendary writers from what is probably the premier aviation periodical in the world might be reasonable.
                          Legendary perhaps in your local scene. I have never come across their names in the german speaking magazines, or in the biggest aviation publications in Europe, be it in german, english, spanish, french or italian. If every country can add three more legendary writers to that list, that's going to be the mother of all lists to be known by any forum mod here.
                          My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

By George....he's got it !

That is PRECISELY what this website is, a PRIMARILY aviation photography website that happens to have a couple of forums for those who don't upload photos of aircraft to the site. The clue is kind of in the title.....jetPHOTOS.net ?

Not jettalkingaboutanyobscuresubjectthaticantrollabout.net

(Disclaimer: the moderator here claims the right to express a personal opinion which does not necessarily apply to the rest of the site management team)

I'm finding it difficult to understand how my not knowing of authors that you know of can possibly impinge in any way on your life, or for that matter mine to the extent that you find a need to get all hot under the collar about it and start talking down to me ?
                            My WTF post was designed to indicate that 99% of contributors here don't have a clue what you are talking about. It was made tongue in cheek, hence the smilie use and that really you would have been better off communicating with the people who do know what you are talking about by means of PM or email. But then, of course, you wouldn't have been able to show the rest of world how clever you are.

Have a nice day. I'm off to Heathrow for a pleasant day with fellow photographers.
                            Last edited by brianw999; 2014-07-23, 08:45.

Comment

there is actually a post from me on this very aviation forum where I quote one of these authors for memorial purposes for a former moderator here.

Gabriel....Concur?
                              Errrr, hummm, welll... I...

(Pst!... What?)

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                              --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Working...
                              X