Malaysia Airlines Loses Contact With 777 en Route to Beijing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
    ..........So if you calculate the intersection between a cone and a sphere and get a circumference with a radius/diameter/perimeter longer than that of the sphere itself, either you managed to do something that is mathematically impossible or you did Sum Tim Wong. For some reason that I don't completely understand, I am a tad biased to believe it's the second option.
    Yes I know my assumptions are wrong in how I applied the 40 degrees. - that why I would like to how the satellite antennae work.

Comment

• Did the ELT go off in AF447?

Was it an AD type?
      AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Originally posted by orangehuggy
      the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

• German insurance giant Allianz has started paying out millions of euros for the missing Malaysia Airlines passenger jet MH370.

German insurance giant Allianz has started paying out millions of euros for the missing Malaysia Airlines passenger jet MH370.

Comment

• Originally posted by James Bond View Post
          Did the ELT go off in AF447?
          No. The ELT, as any radiofrequency transmitter, can't transmit from under the water.
          Was it an AD type?
          What's that?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Watching the press conference on CNN...

Estimated 24 meters long object - that's big.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
              What's that?
              Automatic Deployable

the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

• The P-8 is reporting that it's getting radar returns from a significant debris field

Comment

• Originally posted by James Bond View Post
                  Theres a Chinese registered cargo ship south of the Indian Ocean search area doing some interesting maneuvers

Why else would a cargo ship be there?
                  The latest track shows this vessel is very close to the area. No?

Looks like you were on the ball JB
                  Last edited by exswissair; 2014-03-20, 05:56. Reason: Add comment

Comment

• Originally posted by exswissair View Post
                    The latest track shows this vessel is very close to the area. No?
                    http://www.vesselfinder.com/?mmsi=413501228
                    Not sure if they've adjusted their position since as they have officially been asked to help by Australia

I still don't understand what a cargo ship is doing out there, literally running around in circles

Comment

• AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Comment

• I can only assume they have better pictures or data of some sort that alerted them to the possible debris than what has been published.

You would have to be some sort of genius to recognise that as wreckage out of what must be millions of satellite images available for checking.

Comment

• Off the coast of Perth, not surprising.

Comment

• Some more questions:
                            If flying on autopilot and you reach the last waypoint, does the autopilot:
                            • disengage,
                            • fly in a pattern around the final waypoint, or
                            • keep going in a straight line?

Do the voice and data recorders have enough capacity for the entire flight, or do they just store the last hour or two? Just wondering whether the reason for the convoluted flight lasting several hours was to overwrite anything from the first part of the flight to cause yet more confusion and uncertainty as to who was responsible and why?

Comment

• Another great post from our friends on the PPRuNe Forums (posted by training wheels)

What I've done in the picture below is to put in the coordinates of the sighting of the wreckage given in this AMSA picture and to also plot the position of Urumqi Airport in China (capital of Xinjiang Province), but instead of using N in the coordinates for Urumqi Airport, I use S. So my point YYYY below becomes

S 43 54.432', E87 28.452' where as the actual Urumqi airport is
                              N 43 54.432', E87 28.452'

with the only difference in the set of coordinates being the N and S. What I found is quite interesting in that there is a difference of only 150 meters between the two points!!

Could it be that someone may have wanted to enter in to the FMC the coordinates for Urumqi Airport in Xinjiang, but instead of using North, they entered in South? There is a very real possibility that this occurred given the close proximity of the wreckage and the error coordinate for Urumqi Airport (YYYY in my picture). A mere 150 meters over a total distance of 3164 from IGARI is really saying something and can't be ruled out as a coincidence.

and yes, I know the point of diversion to the south wasn't at IGARI but that's beside the point.

Comment

• The first P-3 from the RAAF has been unable to locate anything to poor weather conditions

A RNZAF P-3 is on the way. No more news from the USN P-8.

Comment

Working...
                                X