ANA 787 Emergency Landing in TAK - FAA grounds 787

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cairns65 View Post
    The 787 : a great plane with starting problems or a flop ?
    It can be both. A great plane with an unfinished concept for part of its design. I would personally say these are more than mere teething problems. If I am right, I hope this latest incident helps get to the bottom of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cairns65 View Post
      ............ The 787 : a great plane with starting problems or a flop ?
      I think the former - the media did not jump on every A380 problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by Highkeas View Post
        I think the former - the media did not jump on every A380 problem.
        I hope is the former, but I never got the "the A380 also had problems" argument. Is it really the same?

They had issues with developing the wiring early on, I think it was because of different standards used by different developers in the design phase. Also, let's not forget that unlike the 787 (from what I have read it's very standardized), the A380 is very customizable.

Then we had an exploding engine, something which should never happen, but that to me was more of a test to the A380. The problem, a design flaw isolated to a specific subtype of the Trent engines, used only by one or two airlines was found very early and was fixed.

Then there were the cracks in the wing brackets, and their cause was also found very early on, this time traced to a flaw in the manufacturing process. It never stopped the A380 from flying, except when checks or repairs had to be carried out.

The 787 problems are completely different. Can we say all of them involve the airplane's electric architecture? Maybe? Can we say the root cause was found? - NO!

And one last thing - can we say that the DC-10 design was a flop? I would say YES, a BIG ONE, by today's standards, even though the concept was great and it could have been a fantastic plane.

I agree the 787 is being looked at under a microscope, but that's because it was grounded for a longer period than the DC-10. To be fair, that happened because there are different standards today. It's not certain the 787 has a design flaw, but there is a possibility.

Comment

• As a person who doesn't follow aviation manufacturing in detail, I just have to wonder why the history of the Dreamliner is plagued. People say Airbus had problems, and I don't doubt it. Innovation in planes seems to be exploring new territory all the time. Fuel prices and competition seem to force it. But am I so wrong in thinking this Dreamliner is the most public problem child of all time?

Comment

• An one year flashback and thoughts of happened, http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...design-394664/
            "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

• From today's AIAA newsletter:

ANA’s Dreamliner Battery Issue Blamed On Cold Weather.
              Reuters (8/4, Kelly, Gallagher) reported that the Asahi newspaper reported local investigators in Japan blamed the cold weather for the 787 Dreamliner battery issue that caused an emergency landing of an ANA plane in Japan in 2013. This incident led to the plane being grounded for several months.

Comment

• Originally posted by Highkeas View Post
                From today's AIAA newsletter:

ANA’s Dreamliner Battery Issue Blamed On Cold Weather.
                Reuters (8/4, Kelly, Gallagher) reported that the Asahi newspaper reported local investigators in Japan blamed the cold weather for the 787 Dreamliner battery issue that caused an emergency landing of an ANA plane in Japan in 2013. This incident led to the plane being grounded for several months.
                Aha! The cold weather! Of course! You can't expect Boeing to make some kind of "superplane" that can operate in "the cold weather" without catching on fire. Let's be realistic here.

I think Mothra was involved...

Comment

Working...
                X