Malaysia Airlines Loses Contact With 777 en Route to Beijing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Peter Kesternich View Post
    What it's worth is nothing. If I were the pilot (in a post-9-11 world) and would get to a point to where a hijacker asks me to steer away from land, I would turn the aircraft toward the nearest runway as long as I still have fuel to reach it, no matter what he says. Now, the hijacker can kill me or try to take over controls from me, but chances are the plane will crash in the process, and the search area today would only be half way to where it is now. So this scenario needs too much tweaking to fit the facts we have.
    Originally posted by TheKiecker View Post
    Sounds like you have some fantasies. None of them sane. Rambo.
    Who's talking about fantasies? Please read my post closely. I was merely laying out a hypothetical scenario. Are you telling me that if you were a pilot held at gunpoint, you would steer your aircraft and all on board into certain death, without at least trying to put up a struggle?

Comment

• Originally posted by EconomyClass View Post
      I'd say that's the most effective terror since it cripples the ability to plan and defend. Terror just means intense fear. Sorry if terror isn't technical enough for the discussion. In many parts of the USA, children have just disappeared. The inability of law enforcement to explain how or why has petrified parents. They don't know what not to do or where not to go.
      That's all true, EconomyClass - but not the way a political terrorist would operate. At least none have so far. Their terror has always been aimed toward a political goal or at least a behavioral change. In the case of MH370, I don't see what has been accomplished so far, if it was terrorism. Okay - there is a costly search going on, but it will definitely not cripple the economy of any nation involved.
      The only possibility that I see if your suspicions are correct, is that the intended target was Malaysia Airlines. They were already struggling financially and the whole MH370 affair is another severe blow. However, since they are government-owned, it is unlikely that they would simply fold like a privately-owned carrier could (and probably would) under circumstances like this.

Comment

• All sorts of facts have come out in the investigation of this. Turns out there is a gyre in the Indian ocean similar to the 2 in the Atlantic and Pacific. And a massive garbage patch. The article I read said even shipping containers fall off ships and get trapped. Which means the larger area of the search is full of "debris" that can give false hope. Once again, one wonders what pilots or passengers knew about this. I don't remember mention of midocean garbage in the AF447 search. Probably because, even if the subequatorial Atlantic Ocean has one, AF447 wasn't flying in an erratic way. It merely suffered a weather calamity, in or near the equator. Took 2 years to overcome the difficulties of that search, but at least there was no midocean garbage patch to foul things up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceanic_gyre

Comment

• From the latest tech-toys they are bringing out it seems like a major testing exercise operation somehow lost control of.

Comment

• Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

MAS 370 (Kuala Lumpur to Beijing)
            PILOT-ATC RADIOTELEPHONY TRANSCRIPT
            Departure from KLIA: 8 March 2014

ATC DELIVERY
            12:25:53 MAS 370 Delivery MAS 370 Good Morning
            12:26:02 ATC MAS 370 Standby and Malaysia Six is cleared to Frankfurt via AGOSA Alpha Departure six thousand feet squawk two one zero six
            12:26:19 ATC ... MAS 370 request level
            12:26:21 MAS 370 MAS 370 we are ready requesting flight level three five zero to Beijing
            12:26:39 ATC MAS 370 is cleared to Beijing via PIBOS A Departure Six Thousand Feet squawk two one five seven
            12:26:45 MAS 370 Beijing PIBOS A Six Thousand Squawk two one five seven,
            ........ MAS 370 Thank You
            12:26:53 ATC MAS 370 Welcome over to ground
            12:26:55 MAS 370 Good Day

LUMPUR GROUND
            12:27:27 MAS 370 Ground MAS370 Good morning Charlie One Requesting push and start
            12:27:34 ATC MAS370 Lumpur Ground Morning Push back and start approved Runway 32 Right Exit via Sierra 4.
            12:27:40 MAS 370 Push back and start approved 32 Right Exit via Sierra 4 POB 239 Mike Romeo Oscar
            12:27:45 ATC Copied
            12:32:13 MAS 370 MAS377 request taxi.
            12:32:26 ATC MAS37..... (garbled) ... standard route. Hold short Bravo
            12:32:30 MAS 370 Ground, MAS370. You are unreadable. Say again.
            12:32:38 ATC MAS370 taxi to holding point Alfa 11 Runway 32 Right via standard route. Hold short of Bravo.
            12:32:42 MAS 370 Alfa 11 Standard route Hold short Bravo MAS370.
            12:35:53 ATC MAS 370 Tower
            12:36:19 ATC (garbled) ... Tower ... (garbled)
            ........ MAS 370 1188 MAS370 Thank you

LUMPUR TOWER
            12:36:30 MAS 370 Tower MAS370 Morning
            12:36:38 ATC MAS370 good morning. Lumpur Tower. Holding point.. [garbled]..10 32 Right
            12:36:50 MAS 370 Alfa 10 MAS370
            12:38:43 ATC 370 line up 32 Right Alfa 10.
            ........ MAS 370 Line up 32 Right Alfa 10 MAS370.
            12:40:38 ATC 370 32 Right Cleared for take-off. Good night.
            ........ MAS 370 32 Right Cleared for take-off MAS370. Thank you Bye.

LUMPUR APPROACH
            12:42:05 MAS 370 Departure Malaysian Three Seven Zero
            12:42:10 ATC Malaysian Three Seven Zero selamat pagi identified. Climb flight level one eight zero cancel SID turn right direct to IGARI
            12:42:48 MAS 370 Okay level one eight zero direct IGARI Malaysian one err Three Seven Zero
            12:42:52 ATC Malaysian Three Seven Zero contact Lumpur Radar One Three Two Six good night
            ........ MAS 370 Night One Three Two Six Malaysian Three Seven Zero

LUMPUR RADAR (AREA)
            12:46:51 MAS 370 Lumpur Control Malaysian Three Seven Zero
            12:46:51* ATC Malaysian Three Seven Zero Lumpur radar Good Morning climb flight level two five zero
            12:46:54* MAS370 Morning level two five zero Malaysian Three Seven Zero
            12:50:06 ATC Malaysian Three Seven Zero climb flight level three five zero
            12:50:09 MAS370 Flight level three five zero Malaysian Three Seven Zero
            01:01:14 MAS370 Malaysian Three Seven Zero maintaining level three five zero
            01:01:19 ATC Malaysian Three Seven Zero
            01:07:55 MAS370 Malaysian...Three Seven Zero maintaining level three five zero
            01:08:00 ATC Malaysian Three Seven Zero
            01:19:24 ATC Malaysian Three Seven Zero contact Ho Chi Minh 120 decimal 9 Good Night
            01:19:29 MAS370 Good Night Malaysian Three Seven Zero

#*end*of*file/BIT*30*March*#
            Nothing out of the ordinary. The only thing I don't understand is the double confirmation of "maintaining level three five zero" with 6 minutes between them.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
            --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Interesting viewpoints from Greg Feith, who investigate the EgyptAir and Silkair crashes.

During the three weeks since Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 disappeared, “talking heads” (including our own) have become a staple on the news and cable Source: Aviation Week shows. The trouble with talking heads is that short sound bites... Read More

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueMax View Post
                Interesting viewpoints from Greg Feith, who investigate the EgyptAir and Silkair crashes.

http://leehamnews.com/2014/03/31/mh3...-investigator/
                Great post, BlueMax. Basically what has been figured out here on this forum as the most likely course of events...

Comment

Interesting viewpoints from Greg Feith, who investigate the EgyptAir and Silkair crashes.

good points i think....though i'm not sure it (or this forum)figures out whats happened.
                  something occured to me reading that tho (which has probably already been mentioned) if the CVR only record a rolling 2 hours....then it will probably reveal noting right??
                  let say after oss of contact he (one of em) killed the other pilot....decompressed it for long enough to kill people (or took it high...which that article dismisses)...then maybe left it flying on AP till it ran out of fuel...then there might be 5 plus hours of silence in the cockpit right?? so 2 hours of silence on the CVR
                  sorry if i'm rehashing...ust thought of it as i read that

Comment

• Originally posted by andyb99 View Post
                    good points i think....though i'm not sure it (or this forum)figures out whats happened.
                    something occured to me reading that tho (which has probably already been mentioned) if the CVR only record a rolling 2 hours....then it will probably reveal noting right??
                    let say after oss of contact he (one of em) killed the other pilot....decompressed it for long enough to kill people (or took it high...which that article dismisses)...then maybe left it flying on AP till it ran out of fuel...then there might be 5 plus hours of silence in the cockpit right?? so 2 hours of silence on the CVR
                    sorry if i'm rehashing...ust thought of it as i read that
                    Yep, I'd also suspect the CVR won't reveal anything. If there was only the pilot still in the cockpit (or maybe even the only one alive on board) there was nothing to say while they were heading south. Another possibility is that once the pilot set the course for Antarctica, he killed himself by taking off his oxygen mask. In that case there wouldn't have been anybody alive on board during the last 2 hours of flight.

Comment

Wow, I seem to remember reading a post by someone here about 3 days after the aircraft went missing that is almost verbatim to this gentleman's theory!

Comment

Yep, I'd also suspect the CVR won't reveal anything. If there was only the pilot still in the cockpit (or maybe even the only one alive on board) there was nothing to say while they were heading south. Another possibility is that once the pilot set the course for Antarctica, he killed himself by taking off his oxygen mask. In that case there wouldn't have been anybody alive on board during the last 2 hours of flight.

Might be a little praying in Arabic!

Comment

• Gabriel, I think you're right, the 'extra'
                          01:07:55 MAS370 Malaysian...Three Seven Zero maintaining level three five zero
                          almost 'feels' like an accidental triggering of the mike and someone thinking of what to fill the silence with

Could this be a hint of disharmony in the cockpit??????

Comment

• Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
                            Wow, I seem to remember reading a post by someone here about 3 days after the aircraft went missing that is almost verbatim to this gentleman's theory!
                            i'd like to read that BB....but i cant be bothered searching for it

Comment

...or (and yes I know this is way in left field) - if it was a rogue pilot/FO who had this entire event planned out to the T, and he had as an objective to make the wreckage / FDRs harder to find - he could conceivably have flown to a desolate part of the ocean (which appears to be the case) and then done [or attempted] a "Sullenberger" as fuel was running out, thereby hoping to have the aircraft/wreckage sink in all of or most of a whole piece, thereby significantly diminishing the floating debris that would occur if it crashed into the ocean at higher speeds (e.g., SF447, debris and bodies were spotted pretty quickly, and it pancaked in to the water). The pax might already be dead as noted above.

Imagine how hard it is to find floating debris ... if there is little at all to find in the first place. Surely the flight crews know about how long the BB pingers last, and if one really wanted a stealth crash job - they might be inclined for a soft ditch/sink vs. a spectacular water crash with the inevitable debris.

I warned you, this notion was from left field!

Comment

• Originally posted by obmot View Post
                                I warned you, this notion was from left field!
                                I did have similar ponderings and posed some questions in those directions a few pages back, but someone (BB?) subsequently made the valid comment that the high pressures when sinking to those depths would rupture the hull and release anything that would float.
                                Plus it would require someone still being at the controls - and if the aim was suicide you've kind of scuppered that with a gentle landing.
                                And finally, ditching safely in a sheltered river is one thing, a soft landing in the middle of a choppy ocean is going to be very slim, and certainly not something you could plan.

Comment

Working...
                                X