Closed threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closed threads

The threads for the two Malaysian disasters are now closed. If there are inappropriate posts, why not just delete them, rather than close entire threads ? This is done on other discussion sites. It seems to penalize those who might have something germane to add but then find they cannot do so. You can delete this post too in a while, but I just thought the point was worth making.

Also, when posting a new thread (or one that will likely be popular), can we name them after the flight (or aircraft type) involved?

I understand how it happened, but it would have been better to rename the threads MH 370 and MH 17. It would make them easier to track/understand/draw attention to.
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Halcyon, my thoughts were similar to yours (although not identical).

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

If you want to talk aviation, find an aviation forum. Photography forums where Len Morgan and Gordon Baxter are dismissed as obscure will eventually become unsatisfying.
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Following a PM discussion with Gabriel ( the right way to go about this subject perchance ? ) I accept that closing the threads was a wrong move on my part. I am quite happy to admit when I am wrong and to go on to make things right. I am therefore reopening both threads.
          All off topic comments will be deleted, including my own and I will continue to stamp down on those who post in an unacceptable manner. To that end I propose to apply a "Three strikes and you're out" method of moderation. Effectively, this will mean that you will get two warnings of inappropriate behaviour. A third occurrence will result in a ban. I have a responsibility to the site owner to moderate forums in a manner that will remove comments, and sometimes people from our forums to protect the site from potential legal action as a result of permitting unacceptable posts.
          Unacceptable posting includes, but is not wholly restricted to the following...
          1. Racist comments and/or accusations.
          2. Use of foul language.
          3. Comments designed to bring ridicule upon a person or persons.
          4. Personal attacks. If you feel the need to get personal, use the PM facility, emails or risk a personal face to face.

Basically, do and speak to others as you would like to be done by and spoken to.

I have probably erred at some time in the past and I will make sure that I don't again.

...and 3WE, I never thought of or described Len Morgan and Gordon Baxter as being "Obscure". I'm sure they are very fine gentlemen......it's just that I've never heard of them.

To close....
          As 3WE says, this is primarily an aviation photography site, not Facebook or Twitter. I am a great fan of healthy debate and comment. Let's keep it that way .....
          .... Healthy. .........and on topic !
          That way I can concentrate my time on the photography side where I am supposed to be.
          Last edited by brianw999; 2014-08-24, 22:15.
          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
            I have a responsibility to the site owner to moderate forums in a manner that will remove comments, and sometimes people from our forums to protect the site from potential legal action as a result of permitting unacceptable posts.
            Glad to hear it. This is not a comment on you personally or on your moderating style, but I'm yet to see fair moderating on ANY aviation site. I'm not even sure that's entirely possible. Way too many egos the size of -388s, everyone's an expert, and everyone knows more than everyone else. How one is supposed to moderate such a zoo, I'm not real certain.

Comment

The trouble is that it is impossible to define "Fair". What one person will see as being impossible for them to tolerate, another will see as being entirely reasonable.
              There is a huge difference between a disagreement about a statement of what someone might consider a fact versus someone who considers a different perceived fact as being the actual truth. (I had to read that 3 times to make sure it made sense !!) and a disagreement where the response becomes a personal attack on an individual.
              It is the foul language, personal attacks, making others look small and stupid, denigration of religious and / or political beliefs etc. that will not be tolerated here.
              Reasoned argument and discussion of the facts concerning the thread along with personal impressions that do not fall foul of the above will never be moderated here.
              If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                There is a huge difference between a disagreement about a statement of what someone might consider a fact versus someone who considers a different perceived fact as being the actual truth. (I had to read that 3 times to make sure it made sense !!)
                Took me six tries, and I'm still not sure I get it. This might require a stiff drink.

Comment

Working...
                X