No announcement yet.

Malaysia Airlines Loses Contact With 777 en Route to Beijing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In regards to the Strait of Malacca business, on the (supposedly) last Military radar plot 200NM NW of Penang @ FL295

I notice that at exactly the same time SIA68 (B777W) was at FL300 at about the same distance from Penang, Changi bound.

Is that what the radar picked up?
    AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Originally posted by orangehuggy
    the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

• The only thing I've been thinking since I saw those Chinese satellite images of 'debris', is aren't the pieces a bit large? 24m x 22m? That's too big to be a wing even? I suppose it could be an unfurled piece of fuselage, but I don't think it would come apart like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by NavyDude View Post
        Usually ships take the shortest route, but Mallaca Strait is one of the busiest shipping passages in the world, with huge tankers and container vessels equipped with very sophisticated radars sailing by. It would be very easy for a ship to spot debris in that area, or even a low flying a/c.
        And if the Airliner flew beyond the Mallaca Strait and got half way to Africa before running out of fuel?

Comment

• Originally posted by sjwk View Post
          I suppose it could be an unfurled piece of fuselage, but I don't think it would come apart like that.
          I'm surprised a piece of that size is floating in the first place

the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

• Originally posted by Timmerich View Post
            Read this:

‘‘If the decompression was slow enough, it’s possible the pilots did not realize to put on oxygen masks until it was too late. [It] also explains why another pilot thirty minutes ahead heard “mumbling” from MH370 pilots. (VHF comms would be unaffected by SATCOM equipment failure.).’’
            The story of the "mumbling" was proven false very shortly after it was reported.

You know what though, maybe the pilot who reported it was just told to shut up.

What a mess.

Comment

• Originally posted by James Bond View Post
              I'm surprised a piece of that size is floating in the first place
              Most likely a fishing boat or two. Or small oil platform? ~20m square seems a bit small for that though.

Comment

• One plausible cause for a sudden aircraft crash would be if a cargo door opened in flight. Recall the Turkish DC-10 in France and the United 747 over the Pacific; the latter incident did not cause a crash but the aircraft skin was ripped open and a couple of people lost. A cargo door opening in flight could result in the aircraft fuselage suddenly breaking apart.

Then there was the Qantas 747 aircraft where an oxygen tank exploded in flight opening up the fuselage.

So structural failures do occur in flight.

Update: Several hours after submitting this post I came across this 777 AD on cargo doors. http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_asset...2012-09-14.pdf

Comment

• Looks like it is pretty much over according to much of the media and the usual collection of Internet aviation "experts" (not referring to people here) who are simply parroting the media.

-The plane crashed because of the design flaw that the AD was issued for.
                  -Therefore, the 777 is a piece of junk
                  -Therefore Boeing is once again the spawn of Satan
                  -People will never fly a Boeing again

And all the other usual BS that people who are completely illiterate about aviation will spout whenever a plane crashes. This is the kind of assumption that drives me bat guano crazy when it comes to plane crashes.

Comment

• Amazing

It amazes me that we can track automobiles, monkeys in the jungle, thugs on parole etc... by satellite and even upload real time video by satellite but we can't track or monitor a 1/4 billion dollar plane carrying the most precious cargo that God created :-/

Comment

• NY Times today reporting about aviation forums:
                      Some of the most technically informed comments were posted on the Professional Pilots Rumour Network, a Britain-based chat room that despite its name is widely read in the aviation world and is one of the few “pilot chat room” sites that is not actually a matchmaking service.
                      Oh, right. It turns out we're just here to get BoeingBobby and Myndee together.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
                        NY Times today reporting about aviation forums:
                        Oh, right. It turns out we're just here to get BoeingBobby and Myndee together.
                        The New York Times is about as useful as World Net (Nut) Daily IMO.

Although, I would like to meet a woman who is into aviation as much as I am, but that's a topic for another day.

Comment

• Originally posted by B757300 View Post
                          Looks like it is pretty much over according to much of the media and the usual collection of Internet aviation "experts" (not referring to people here) who are simply parroting the media.

-The plane crashed because of the design flaw that the AD was issued for.
                          -Therefore, the 777 is a piece of junk
                          -Therefore Boeing is once again the spawn of Satan
                          -People will never fly a Boeing again

And all the other usual BS that people who are completely illiterate about aviation will spout whenever a plane crashes. This is the kind of assumption that drives me bat guano crazy when it comes to plane crashes.
                          Yeah ouf. It's like how they kept bringing up the Asiana SFO crash as the sole blemish on the 777 record when it factually had absolutely NOTHING to do with the aircraft itself.

Comment

• Originally posted by B757300 View Post
                            The New York Times is about as useful as World Net (Nut) Daily IMO.

Although, I would like to meet a woman who is into aviation as much as I am, but that's a topic for another day.
                            Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leftseat86 View Post
                              Yeah ouf. It's like how they kept bringing up the Asiana SFO crash as the sole blemish on the 777 record when it factually had absolutely NOTHING to do with the aircraft itself.
                              Exactly, but the media loves to hype everything and, to borrow a phrase from current politics, the "low information crowd" eats it right up as gospel.

The truth is, no one has any clue what happened or if the aircraft even crashed. Until evidence of it is found, it is simply missing.

Do I think it crashed? Unfortunately, yes. However, I will only say there are numerous possible causes, and to automatically say it is related to the AD the FAA recently announced is beyond premature. If the FAA seriously thought there was a massive danger of this issue causing a crash, they would have expedited it or issued an emergency AD months ago.

Comment

• OK this is significant

Via WSJ (Subscriber content)

U.S. investigators suspect that Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 stayed in the air for about four hours past the time it reached its last confirmed location, according to two people familiar with the details, raising the possibility that the plane could have flown on for hundreds of additional miles under conditions that remain murky.

Aviation investigators and national security officials believe the plane flew for a total of five hours

Comment

Working...
                                X