Is there a "go around" button?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a "go around" button?

I have been told about a "go around" button/switch. Supposely it gets the gear up , pitchs the nose up and engines to 100%+ operating power. Is there such a thing?

Thanks,
    Bruno

Originally posted by YYZPICS
    I have been told about a "go around" button/switch. Supposely it gets the gear up , pitchs the nose up and engines to 100%+ operating power. Is there such a thing?

Thanks,
    Bruno
    TOGA TOGA TOGA...
    I've never heard any that put the gear up however.
    Try to catch me flyin dirty...

Comment

Haven't heard of one that pull the gear up either.

Ours pitches the flight director to the proper attitude, commands wings level, and disconnects the autopilot.
      Bite me Airways.....

Comment

Originally posted by mikecweb
        TOGA TOGA TOGA...
        I've never heard any that put the gear up however.
        TOGA WEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! Does it unlock any power reductions as well? I'm assuming it's not an autothrottle (since I've seen them in Barons before I think)

Comment

In the Columbia 350 the TOGA switch puts the FD at 10 degrees up and left or right or center depending on what heading you have it at. In bigger ac the toga sets power as if it were taking off

Comment

Hey there,

we have a TOGA button in the 737, actually there are 2... but one is enough to hit to change to the go around mode... Means, Flight director commands a rate of climb of 1200 to 1500 ft/min, the actual track when you hit the TOGA button and the A/T sets reduced go around power... If you hit the button again then you get full go around power. If the AP was engaged it will disconnect and you have to fly it manually. Unless you flew a dual autopilot approach. Then there will be an automatic go around, where the 737 pitches up and flies the go around on its own (only gear and flaps you have to set manually like in the manual go around as well).

WILCO737
            aka Phil
            aka 737 driver

Comment

On the 744 the A/P stays engaged throughout the process. Like Phil says for the 737, there are 2 TO/GA buttons, but both do the same job. A single press gives standard Go Around power in the air (we also press the same button to give us Take Off Power on the ground... hence Take Off Go Around).

Another press will give full rated power... useful in an emergency.

Only thing we have to do is retract the gear and flaps, and of course monitor the Autopilot, and engage different modes etc.

Full rated power makes you go up very quickly

Comment

Originally posted by Crism
                TOGA WEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! Does it unlock any power reductions as well? I'm assuming it's not an autothrottle (since I've seen them in Barons before I think)
                The TOGA buttons on GA aircraft like the Baron just disconnect the autopilot and bring the flight director to wings level and 10 degrees up.
                The van has a TOGA button but I can't imagine why I would ever need it. Flight directors are overrated.

Comment

Great replies, thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by mikecweb
                    The TOGA buttons on GA aircraft like the Baron just disconnect the autopilot and bring the flight director to wings level and 10 degrees up.
                    The van has a TOGA button but I can't imagine why I would ever need it. Flight directors are overrated.
                    Hmmm....new freight dog, calling F/D's overrated. Well F/D's have drug my fatigued ass out of a hole when I have had to shoot approaches down to dead nuts minimums after a 16 hour duty day. Assuming they function correctly, they are an integral and very useful piece of equipment.

And in the more advancd jets, you'd better learn to love the F/D. I enjoy flying raw data just as much as the next guy, but I absolutely love my Flight Director.
                    Anybody can fly a round airplane....

Comment

Originally posted by N9103M
                      Hmmm....new freight dog, calling F/D's overrated. Well F/D's have drug my fatigued ass out of a hole when I have had to shoot approaches down to dead nuts minimums after a 16 hour duty day. Assuming they function correctly, they are an integral and very useful piece of equipment.

And in the more advancd jets, you'd better learn to love the F/D. I enjoy flying raw data just as much as the next guy, but I absolutely love my Flight Director.
                      You said a mouthful right there.

You'll learn Mike.....
                      Bite me Airways.....

Comment

Another question, usually what is the decision height?

Comment

Depends on the approach. Standard Cat. 1 ILS is 200 ft. There are several non-standard ones though. Could be due to terrain, lighting systems, runway markings, etc.

Cat. 2 is 100 ft, and Cat. 3 varies.
                          Bite me Airways.....

Comment

Interesting, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by N9103M

I just don't find them useful. Not yet at least. Grant it we fly approaches pretty fast I guess maybe in the larger jets they become more useful. I know most of the Lear guys we have here don't like them either. Maybe just a culture thing here, who knows.

Comment

Working...
                              X