Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
    = Murdercide.
    Yes, that's the only thing that appears to fit, however theories continue to breed here by conveniently ignoring 3 or 4 items on the fact list, to which I've since added ACARS data (no system failures or unusual parameters) and ignorance of ATC calls.

Brian, why don't we have a head-banging-against-brick-wall emoticon? Every aviation forum needs that.

Comment

• And Evan, include in your list that the French Prosecuter is very emphatic in his words

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
        Yes, that's the only thing that appears to fit, however theories continue to breed here by conveniently ignoring 3 or 4 items on the fact list, to which I've since added ACARS data (no system failures or unusual parameters) and ignorance of ATC calls.

Brian, why don't we have a head-banging-against-brick-wall emoticon? Every aviation forum needs that.

Of course you do: :wall: Ups, you don't!

But an unconscious or semi-unconscious FO would naturally not respond to ATC calls, would he?

Other way: If the captain of that flight
        Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

had not been in the cockpit for whatever reason, not unlikely it would have crashed because of some nonsense the FO did. How would think that would have looked 2 days after the incident?

Comment

• @flightradar24 reports:
          "Analysis of Flightradar24 ADS-B/ModeS data: Autopilot was manually changed from 38,000 to 100 ft at 09:30:55
          #4U9525"

source:

So from their received data one can read the auto-pilot settings?
          If so: why this is not used by air-traffic controllers?
          I mean: setting the 96ft value would definitely make no sense in this stage of the flight and especially in this terrain. This should trigger an alarm at ATC, no?

Comment

• Originally posted by mfeldt View Post
            But an unconscious or semi-unconscious FO would naturally not respond to ATC calls, would he?
            No, nor would he have initiated a descent. And there was no mechanical or logical reason to initiate a descent and no loss of cabin pressure. So what've you got: the F/O initiates a descent for some reason that would not register an aural alert or an ACARS message (lets say a cracked—not compromised— windscreen cuz that's all I can imagine there) and then, by total coincidence, suffers a medical condition that renders him unable to speak or function???

Yes! Of course!

I'm sorry, I'm not playing anymore.

Comment

• According to German news (tagesschau.de) the French authorities now have asked the FBI to join the investigation ...

Comment

• Originally posted by eTang View Post
                According to German news (tagesschau.de) the French authorities now have asked the FBI to join the investigation ...
                Presumably because of the Phoenix connection? If it had been terrorist related wouldn't it have been the CIA?

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
                  No, nor would he have initiated a descent. And there was no mechanical or logical reason to initiate a descent and no loss of cabin pressure. So what've you got: the F/O initiates a descent for some reason that would not register an aural alert or an ACARS message (lets say a cracked—not compromised— windscreen cuz that's all I can imagine there) and then, by total coincidence, suffers a medical condition that renders him unable to speak or function???
                  As posted earlier, initiating a descent is the first thing pilots are trained to do in case of a loss of cabin pressure.

And without the FDR, there is no way to know for sure cabin pressure was not lost, unless there's something the authorities are not telling us. The "sound of someone breathing means cabin pressure was not lost" claim to me makes no sense. Watch some youtube videos of people in altitude chambers... when they lose consciousness, they don't stop breathing.

Or for a more realistic demo, fire up one of those videos and turn your monitor off. Then see if you can tell when the person becomes unconscious using just audio.
                  Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

• Originally posted by eTang View Post
                    According to German news (tagesschau.de) the French authorities now have asked the FBI to join the investigation ...
                    According to tagesschau.de French authorities asked the GERMAN police to search the appartments of the first officer. Not the FBI...

Comment

• Originally posted by elaw View Post
                      As posted earlier, initiating a descent is the first thing pilots are trained to do in case of a loss of cabin pressure.

And without the FDR, there is no way to know for sure cabin pressure was not lost, unless there's something the authorities are not telling us. The "sound of someone breathing means cabin pressure was not lost" claim to me makes no sense. Watch some youtube videos of people in altitude chambers... when they lose consciousness, they don't stop breathing.

Or for a more realistic demo, fire up one of those videos and turn your monitor off. Then see if you can tell when the person becomes unconscious using just audio.
                      But why did the F/O then lock the cockpit door before passing out, so that the captain - who stayed conscious all the while - could only bang on the door and not get in?

Comment

• Originally posted by elaw View Post
                        And without the FDR, there is no way to know for sure cabin pressure was not lost, unless there's something the authorities are not telling us.
                        Sorry but you're not saying that such an important event would not have aural & visual alarms in the cockpit?

Arrow

Comment

• Originally posted by Peter Kesternich View Post
                          But why did the F/O then lock the cockpit door before passing out, so that the captain - who stayed conscious all the while - could only bang on the door and not get in?
                          In doing his "Perils of Pauline" swoon passing out, he just happened to throw the deadbolt. Happens all the time donchaknow? [/sarcasm]

Arrow

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrow View Post
                            Sorry but you're not saying that such an important event would not have aural & visual alarms in the cockpit?

Arrow
                            You're right... I hadn't thought about that angle.

Those systems have been known to fail, although that's quite a stretch.

Eric Law

Comment

• Originally posted by Brainsys View Post
                              As a suicide counsellor that is not my experience, the taking of your own life may be a period of calm in a previously stressful existence. Its a way out, a relief, that's the whole point.
                              100% agree. As a Paramedic I attended an incident where a male was sitting calmly in his kitchen eating the breakfast that must have taken some time to cook. Piled in the corner were the murdered bodies of his wife, daughter and son where he had left them. Their murders were paticularly gruesome yet the killer was sitting there quite calmly conversing quite normally.
                              If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrow View Post
                                In doing his "Perils of Pauline" swoon passing out, he just happened to throw the deadbolt. Happens all the time donchaknow? [/sarcasm]
                                Um... this is not a "deadbolt":

And it would not be hard at all for a mentally-impaired person to move in the wrong direction.

Eric Law

Comment

Working...
                                X